Need schooling on "brass" cased 7.62x39

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Francqua

Need schooling on "brass" cased 7.62x39

Post by Francqua »

Wanted to try some higher quality ammo to run thru my Yugo M70.
Need some input from my wiser forum brothers.
I know nothing about the "brass" ammo for 7.62x39...Of the major players that I've been looking at : S&B ; Fiocchi , PMC , and PPU (can't afford Federal or Wincester). How does these stack up in regards to accuracy / quality?
I realize that "accuracy is all relative in an AK.
The WPA (black box) is shooting all over the place! (damn). Gun was shooting so bad that I thought I had a problem. The gunsmith checked it out and ran some PMC out to 50 yards. Rifle was holding to 1 1/2" groups. (very acceptable)
So I know the rifle is capable...I just need to find better ammo, that is well priced and reloadable ( down the line goal).

Any help for be much appreciated ( I figure this topic is beat to death..so forgive me in advance..semi-newb to AK's) I'm sure I'm missing some company names, besides those listed above.

Francqua
mogunner

Re: Need schooling on "brass" cased 7.62x39

Post by mogunner »

I was doing some research on just this same thing last night. What I ran across on various forums is that the S&B has a very good reputation for accuracy above most, probably followed by Fiocchi with slightly higher velocities, then PPU and PMC in the ones that you mentioned. I've been shooting steel cased Tulammo in my SKS and it's fun sighting it in as I'll get five that punch a nice little group then one five inches high and 2 inches to the left...or right...or down... I just take the average and figure that's where it's hitting, I have some Herters, Klimovsk and Golden Tiger to try out, like you I don't want to pay $31 for 20 rounds of Winchester...
res45

Post by res45 »

Pretty much all the major players of boxer primed brass case x 39 ammo are good to go. SGAmmo has S & B,Bulgarian Circle 10 and Fiocchi in stock for just under $11 per 20. All the boxer primed brass case ammo is good for reloading as I have reloaded most of it at one time or another.

There really isn't that much difference in MV or accuracy between all the major brands of boxer primed ammo that I've noticed in my SKS rifles,it all shot way better than steel case ammo. I think it really just depends on the firearm and the shooters ability.

If your just interested in boxer primed brass to reload Graf & Sons has PPU in stock and Sinclair International has new production MFS boxer primed brass for reloading.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/12650

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-c ... %2039%20mm
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I just picked up a case of this http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/400-r ... on-magneti it is Bulgarian and I have heard the brass is good quality.