Tactical vs. "Classic"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ponycarman

Re: Tactical vs. "Classic"

Post by ponycarman »

I'm not a tactical person. Even the black rifles I own I don't really see as tactical. Its less about tactical and more about practical to me.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I prefer the milsurps the way they were made. I hate seeing tactical stocks on them. I prefer composite stocks on my new modern rifles though(I have 2 shotguns and a couple Remington rifles). I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Right tool for the job.

I have "plastic stock" firearms such as my short shotgun. It sits next to my bed and can get "pushed around" and I don't worry as much as if it was a "collectable". It is for my home protection. I would not care to put any of my old collectables into that position. Also a plastic Glock .45....same thing.

I also have a AR. The reason I have that is because California tells me I shouldn't have one,....so...I do. Truth is, it is a great target rifle and you can get ammo anywhere (even here in Calif. at Walmat). Not scared to bang it around a little (I don't abuse it). It puts out considerably more rounds a minute than same any of my Collectables do, and is also for home defense. :bwink:

I use the plastic ones to protect the wood ones! :thumbsup:

Dolk
Mike

Post by Mike »

I have my Mosins, my wife has her AR, when it comes to the larger guns I will grab a nice wood stocked classic before anything else.

However, my go-to .22 is my Marlin 795, it's plastic, go figure.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

If, when TSHTF, you find that you need a modern rifle, just take one off the body of a mall ninja that was all tactical and no tactics.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes, me too. I am ok with the synthetic stocks when that is how they were made, but Milsurps for me stay original. I do have 1 milsurp that has been refinished, and my wife bought it for my 50th birthday present. I love it. I still am contemplating putting it back to original, but in no big hurry. It's a Enfield No 5 Jungle Carbine. A precious owner carved out finger grooves in the wrist area so when you shoulder it your right hand literally grips it like a glove, and it fits my hand perfectly. Soooo, I hug it, clean it, shoot it, repeat. And when I have posted it in a thread in the past I just showed the right side without the mod to the stock.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Tactical vs.

Post by Darryl »

bunkysdad wrote:Yes, me too. I am ok with the synthetic stocks when that is how they were made, but Milsurps for me stay original. I do have 1 milsurp that has been refinished, and my wife bought it for my 50th birthday present. I love it. I still am contemplating putting it back to original, but in no big hurry. It's a Enfield No 5 Jungle Carbine. A precious owner carved out finger grooves in the wrist area so when you shoulder it your right hand literally grips it like a glove, and it fits my hand perfectly. Soooo, I hug it, clean it, shoot it, repeat. And when I have posted it in a thread in the past I just showed the right side without the mod to the stock.
Good luck finding wood to replace it with. NO.5 Enfields are hard to find wood for. But, you may have come to the "right place"...... :vcool: :brolleyes: :bwink:

I have a old dirty tired dark (but not all dented up) butt stock for that rifle! I'll talk to later about it.

Dolk
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

soylentblue wrote:If, when TSHTF, you find that you need a modern rifle, just take one off the body of a mall ninja that was all tactical and no tactics.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I like this plan. :shock:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

dolk wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:Yes, me too. I am ok with the synthetic stocks when that is how they were made, but Milsurps for me stay original. I do have 1 milsurp that has been refinished, and my wife bought it for my 50th birthday present. I love it. I still am contemplating putting it back to original, but in no big hurry. It's a Enfield No 5 Jungle Carbine. A precious owner carved out finger grooves in the wrist area so when you shoulder it your right hand literally grips it like a glove, and it fits my hand perfectly. Soooo, I hug it, clean it, shoot it, repeat. And when I have posted it in a thread in the past I just showed the right side without the mod to the stock.
Good luck finding wood to replace it with. NO.5 Enfields are hard to find wood for. But, you may have come to the "right place"...... :vcool: :brolleyes: :bwink:

I have a old dirty tired dark (but not all dented up) butt stock for that rifle! I'll talk to later about it.

Dolk
Oh I forgot to mention that it came with a butt stock in near excellent unmolested condition. It is dark, so it will work nicely, but the front of the ain stock has the matching serial number stamped on it.
ZKend

Post by ZKend »

I have a little bit of it all. I love my old guns, even if they are ones ive never shot i cherish the history that follows them. I have a 1898 Krag carbine that was issued, but was later used as a hunting rifle in the coal region of northeastern Pennsylvania, fed a family for 30 plus years and it shows! I bought it from a man in his 50s to whom it was his grandfathers rifle. It made me sad that he had no attachment to the gun as it seems i really care about the journey this rifle has had in its over century life with no connection whatsoever to the original owner.

I do have an AR with two different uppers, all built by myself. The only reason i really have an AR is because the company i work for is a manufacturer, AR lowers, uppers and misc. parts. All billet aluminum for precision and quality. Its just a gun i know will work and i can play with having no worry. Run some steel, buy a new extractor, bang it around, new parts everywhere. But even my AR has original issued M16 parts on it :chuckles: :chuckles: I cant get away from some sort of history.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I have the first handgun I every purchased, a FIE copy of a blackpowder Colt and the latest AR in .300 Blackout, with all the bells and whistles but everyone of my C&R's (save one) is as it was when released from the armory/storage. If I want to put a .30 caliber hole in something at distance, I'll use my RemChester. NOT A BUBBA"D M/N :angry4:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain