Enfield bolt head question

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cjo1971

Enfield bolt head question

Post by cjo1971 »

I have an enfield no 1 mk lll dated 1917 that functions perfectly. I bought another no 1 mk lll and a barreled action no 1 mk ??? The bolt on the second one mentioned wont work in any of them. This bolt has a cutout on the threaded part off the bolt head but the firing pin collar has the scallop cut and not the lug. I can't even get the bolt to close on the rifle it came with . Could this be the problem?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Enfield bolt head question

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Photos?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Will post some later today. Are the bolt heads interchangeable between the no 1 and the no 4? Going to try my other no 1 bolt in the new no 1 to see if it works. I'm suspicious someone slapped the wrong bolt head on it and this is the culprit.
Last edited by cjo1971 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, they do not interchange, the No 4 rifle is a updated design, it has it's own bolt heads.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Is the only difference the bolt head?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, there are a variety of small changes made to the No4 rifle, they are similar rifles, but not the same. Stock, sights, receiver redesign for the rear mounted sight, bolt, trigger, barrel, all the stock hardware, bayonet mount, the bayonet itself, all changed for the No4.
Theodore Roosevelt
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

Agree a mk1 and Mk 4 look the same, different rifle