1916 Sestroryetsk balkan m91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
House Beagle

1916 Sestroryetsk balkan m91

Post by House Beagle »

Picked this one up on my lunch break. Don't know too much about it other than it was $190 with a spam can of ammo. Here are some quick pics I took before I went back to work. Stock looks a little funny but I'm new to the balkan rifles. Sorry for the pic quality. I will have the full run-down later on tonight or in the morning. How did I do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Re: 1916 Sestroryetsk balkan m91

Post by desdem12 »

All you need to know is that it was less then 200 bucks with a spam can. That is enough to buy it right there. SAWEEET. sestroryetsk is a hard one to get. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:thumbsup: great find and good deal
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

That's a lot better than what I had for lunch.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Me too. My lunch was terrible compared to that.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

good deal. :thumbsup:
finloq

Post by finloq »

Nice rifle, too bad Bubba got his hands on the sand paper.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

fintowin wrote:That's a lot better than what I had for lunch.
You and me both.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

I was thinking it might have been sanded also fin, but I just got it inside and under some good light and I don't think that that is the case. It looks like it was sanded back in the day likely by an arsenal. There are so many dings and stuff still very visible so if bubba did sand it then it was a total failure which leads me to think it wasn't sanded. The thing that puzzles me now is that on the sling slots, the screws are Phillips head, not slotted. The slots themselves are very crudely inserted and have scrape marks in the wood all around them. Is this normal or at least heard of ?
gurn

Post by gurn »

finloq wrote:Nice rifle, too bad Bubba got his hands on the sand paper.
I don't think it was Bubba.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
gurn

Post by gurn »

Btw, nice find and you did great! Was it sitting in a shop? I'll take deals like that all day long.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

Actually it was on armslist. I emailed him yesterday and there were about 4 other guys that had showed interest in the rifle only but didn't come out and say "I'll take it" but once I said that I'd take the ammo too he let me have it. Picked it up today on my break.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Nice score!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

Thanks everyone! That are you all's take on the finish?
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

House Beagle wrote:I was thinking it might have been sanded also fin, but I just got it inside and under some good light and I don't think that that is the case. It looks like it was sanded back in the day likely by an arsenal. There are so many dings and stuff still very visible so if bubba did sand it then it was a total failure which leads me to think it wasn't sanded. The thing that puzzles me now is that on the sling slots, the screws are . The slots themselves are very crudely inserted and have scrape marks in the wood all around them. Is this normal or at least heard of ?

For what it's worth, according to Wikipedia the "Phillips Head Screw" was a invention of a Henry Phillips in the 1930's and primarily used in automobile manufacture, specifically by Cadillac and Ford. Personally I can't see them being used by Ivan to screw in sling slot liners.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

That's what I was thinking but just why??? It's just odd and they fit in there perfectly, the only part of that gun that has perfectly fitted parts. I'll try and get a close up in the pics I post tomorrow.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It may be refinished. If someone removed the escutcheons to refinish the screws could have been lost of something. Either way, a great find at that price.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

House Beagle, you have found a nice "Balkan" M91 indeed. Don't worry over the escutcheon screws being replaced - you can always swap them out for slotted screws to bring it back to its original look. That's easy.

You are very fortunate to have a "complete" M91, with handguard and what look to be correct barrel bands, as well as cleaning rod. These are often missing these days on guns sold for the price you mention.

Please take some time to snap some more pics! The "Balkan" and Bulgarian Pinecone M91's are of high interest to me personally - I have a 1916 PTG pinecone.

Nice gun - great deal!

Adam
Eat. Sleep. Work. Repeat.
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

So youre the one that bought that! I tried to get it