1940 k31 pics

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
fintowin

1940 k31 pics

Post by fintowin »

I had the camera out and ready, so I thought I would take some pics of the K31. It is all matching and original, including the stocks. Bore is bright and shiny.
IMG_9631.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
awesomeinforensics

Re: 1940 k31 pics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

All I can say is she is a beauty :Drool1: :thumbsup:
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WOW that is way nice. Has a walnut stock to go with it. NEATO :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

that's cool.. I need to get me one of those.. Does the mag come out on that one?

jb
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes it does. It holds 6 also. You feed it like the mosin though with paper charger clips. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

desdem12 wrote:Yes it does. It holds 6 also. You feed it like the mosin though with paper charger clips. :D
Paper Charger Clips?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes. Well maybe cardboard (thin) and tinfoil http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/sclip/index.html :D
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice, stock looks good, I've seen some stocks beat to death, heck, I own one thats beat to death :lol: but shoots like a champ :thumbsup: . Did you check under the butt plate?? There may still be a troop tag with the last solders info on it.

Sadly, the chargers don't last like the rifles, you might get a dozen loadings, if your lucky out of one. They tend to bend and flex more and more with each use. I've still got a few I keep for just collecting.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I never took the butt plate off. I will check it after work tonight. Speaking of stock condition, this rifle came from some guys collection of 15 k31's. Four or five were like the day they were made. He kept those.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

desdem12 wrote:WOW that is way nice. Has a walnut stock to go with it. NEATO :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
You may know this already but many of the k31s were re fitted with beach stocks because of the dings the original ones received from spiked boots. The original walnut stocks have matching serial # inside both halves.

Thats the story I heard anyway. You do see alot of them with the lighter colored stock.
-George Washington
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

On the K31 stock wood, from what I understand from other Swiss collectors, the K31 carbine serial 868901 built in April 1946 is frequently the referred to date/serial when the change over to beech stocks occurred. At the time there were still walnut stocks floating around that were made prior to the beech and they were used on and off till exhausted. Most K31 stocks have the date the stock was made stamped under the butt plate(also common to find some roman numerals), that would allow you to match serial date against stock date. A replacement stock/hand guard was also commonly serialized to match the receiver.

Some K31s were refurbished at Waffenfabrik Bern, there would be a small two digit number stamped on the tang behind the receiver, at that time some may have received a better condition or a newer stock due to constant abuse by troops. Others, will have two letters with two numbers which is the abbreviation of the Canton in Switzerland and year that a refurb was done. A Canton replaced stock most likely will also have a circle with a number in it also, the number is the Canton number.

So basically, if under the butt plate is '46 and the rifle serial dates it as '40, at some point work was performed by the Swiss(if numbers match) :thumbsup: or somebody wanted a walnut stock on their K31(if numbers don't match) :very mad: .

My beaver chewed K31 stock in the middle. Heck, beech or walnut, it makes no difference, they shoot great either way :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Nice looking lineup. Thanks for the info. Now I really want to take a peek under the buttplate.
-George Washington
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have a 46 stock and a 46-7 serial number on mine, which is beech
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

The best riffle I ever shot
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I removed the buttplate and did not find any soldier info. I did find the number 37 (1937). Mine is 1940 so the rifle was built with a stock made 3 years earlier. Or was the stock replaced by the Swiss with an old new stock.
-George Washington
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Does the stock/hand guard serial match the receiver? Is there a stamp on the rear receiver tang? Is there a stock stamp circle with a number in it?

This is a typical refurb stamp done at Waffenfabrik Bern, a smaller canton based arsenal refurb would also have the year and have 2 letters also, indicating the canton.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

No mark on tang.
-George Washington
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

What about stock stampings/marking and the wood serial number?
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Wood serial matches everything else. Only stock stamp is the very small crest with the + in it.
-George Washington