Ruger Old Army blued

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Ruger Old Army blued

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A little something I thought I could find a use for, a nice 1982 vintage Ruger Old Army blue steel revolver. The nice aftermarket grip helps, I am going to add one to the stainless ROA ASAP, I think this one needs a conversion cylinder also.

and just in case anybody is on a diet......
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: Ruger Old Army blued

Post by desdem12 »

Did the pizza delivery guy charge too much? :P
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I need to take new pics of my Old Army and post them here! I like yours with the Hogue grips.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I just felt my arteries harden a bit looking at that pizza. Yum! 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That was a good pie, one of my special bacon pies, the Houge grips are comfortable, but do look a bit strange, they came with the revolver.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tearl

Post by tearl »

I have just discovered the ROA. So far I have 2. One stainless and one blued. The blued is a 1975, never been fired, no cylinder ring and NO BILLBOARD!
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Very nice Ruger JYD!

I had my eye on one of those when they came out in the early 70's but had a Centennial "1960 New Model Army" (replica made for the 100th anniversary of the Colt 1860).

As I recall they used slightly different diameter balls although both were 44 cal. and I did not want to buy another set of molds.

One of my shooting friends bought a Reminginton 1858 replica and I shot it quite a bit. The design of that and the Ruger are similar and of course a stronger frame but I still liked the looks and feel of the 1860 Colt better.

Now I wish I had gone ahead and bought a Ruger.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Ruger uses a .457 ball, so do my Uberti .44 Colt's and Remington's, and the Euroarms Rogers and Spencer. Ruger stopped production of the Old Army over a year ago, that's the reason I jumped on a couple right away, now the prices are going up past $450, or even $500 for the stainless. The ROA is very strong, and the only C&B I feel safe using a cartridge conversion cylinder with. I have one in the stainless model, .45 LC loaded to "cowboy" specs, it sleeps under my pillow. I have many Colt's from the 1847 Walker, to the small '49 pocket model and love shooting them all. I do my best handgun shooting with the Uberti 1860 Army, don't know why. I have shot that one so much that it's actually showing wear on the finish, but the lockwork is still timed perfectly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

My Centennial calls for a .451 ball. So the ones from my mold probably would be a little loose in the Ruger.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Uberti's call for a .454 ball, the .457 just shaves a bit more lead off when it goes down into the cylinder. Sometimes these Italian reproductions can have a slightly oversize chamber or two, this is especially true of the older Piettas. Pietta always called for a .451 ball, I always use a .454 in them anyway, that way I have no issues and every ball shaves a nice lead ring on the way in. With pure lead bullets it's not that much more force to stuff the larger ball in.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I cast my own bullets of course, but I received near 1000 Hornady lead balls with the purchace of two used Remington revolvers a few years back and I am working through them :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hombre, the molds are only about 20-25 bucks if you buy the Lee, or you can buy round balls cheap enough. Considering how much shooting you can do with a hundred round balls they are still bargain shooting. Mine is from the 70's also, pre warning.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I cast in large batches, 500-1000 rounds at a time so I don't have to do it again for years, at least not that particular caliber. I cast 1200 '75 musket balls two years ago, that's well over a hundred pounds worth I think, in any event it took me awhile to haul all the coffee cans full to the shed and put them away.
Theodore Roosevelt