Barrel question on Enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cjo1971

Barrel question on Enfield

Post by cjo1971 »

I have a No 1 mk III but the barrel is in bad bad shape. I can get another barrel for it. Any tricks or is it just unscrew the old and screw in the new. By new I mean original to another No 1 at some point prior to me getting it,
desdem12

Re: Barrel question on Enfield

Post by desdem12 »

It would have to be timed in the least. Why not just get another rifle. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

I can't just screw in a new sighted barrel and see if everything lines up ...
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

cjo1971 wrote:I can't just screw in a new sighted barrel and see if everything lines up ...
Changing a barrel is not as easy as just screwing in a different one. You need the proper tools so you don't damage the receiver and or the barrel. The odds of the sights lining up are also slim.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Retire it to the non shooting part of the collection. Milsurps should never be acquired with the thought that they will be good shooters, these rifles are both ancient and well used in many wars. I always bought martial arms for the history, I never cared if they would shoot at all never mind shoot well. If they do then it's gravy, if not then I still have a small fragment of history.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

a gunsmith might be able to do it, I would make it a wall hanger and get one in good condition
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Not a good Idea. Rifle barrels do not just screw together, they have to be fit and gauged. Have you fired it yet? The condition of the bores can be very deceptive. I have rifles with what you would considered poor bores but I find them among my good shooters.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have shot some frosty to dark semi-pitted barrels. They shot well. Just a little more work to clean. Shoot it and see.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

polymerase2 wrote:I have shot some frosty to dark semi-pitted barrels. They shot well. Just a little more work to clean. Shoot it and see.
I am in agreement with what everyone said though I wanted to add, I have had some pretty rough barrels and after a hundred rounds or so of decent ammo sometimes they "clean up" so I would shoot it a little and see what happens. Enfields were shot with mostly corrosive ammo over a long span, most No 1 MK III barrels are on the ruff side for that reason and I'm not sure if there are any "new" barrels out there to be had if you wanted one.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933