My very special Finn (M91)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinowner

Re: My very special Finn (M91)

Post by mosinowner »

I have heard it may be an earlier Chatellerault, as there is no date on the tang....supposedly that was how the earlier ones were made.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

So what are everyone's thoughts? Would this make a nice addition to the forum "Showcase"?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I must agree with TopperT. This is just plain nice.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

What a great deal on a sweet rifle. I would suggest that you NOT use the reloads as you didn't make them. Pull the bullets, dump the powder and work up your own loads. Good Luck and ENJOY! :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

I have already tried reloads, they are fine. He is a family friend that has been reloading more than 30 years. He included all data as to what the reloads were. I agree that it would be a bad idea to randomly try someone else's loads.
:-)
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Very nice find. Last one I saw was 3 years ago, it went for $450 or so after auction fees. The Chattelerault receiver with the grease hole is really a nice bonus!!
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

That is a special rifle - not just because you got such a great deal. :bwink:
My B barrel M91 is approx. 260 away from your serial number. I notice your Liege proof mark has a "C" with a star above it (between the 7.62 and proof stamps). On mine it is a "W" with a star above it. It's probably an inspector's mark, but now I wonder how many different letters are to be found. :brolleyes:
Thanks for sharing!
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Great Pictures!!! :attn: :attn: :attn:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Very nice,...WOW, I am impressed, with the pictures, very clear and a super Mosin, :Drool1: Me thinks :brolleyes: I want a Finn too,...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

One more photo of the French receiver and it's German WWI capture marks.

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

mosinowner wrote:I have already tried reloads, they are fine. He is a family friend that has been reloading more than 30 years. He included all data as to what the reloads were. I agree that it would be a bad idea to randomly try someone else's loads.
:-)
I was going to add that if you knew exactly what was in the reloads and trusted the guy I might save them, but I've seen some nice guns get ruined and people get hurt using unknown reloads
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

zeebill

Re: My very special Finn (ex Dragoon Capture)

Post by zeebill »

mosinowner wrote:The capture marks "VII 58" on my Mosin match the group # in this photo....

Note the location of the rear sling swivels on those mosins. It is especially obvious in the man on the left of the picture. Hanging off the magwell and thats besides the uniforms gives you a time period for the photo. Bill
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

nice rifle!
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

cj1964 wrote:That is a special rifle - not just because you got such a great deal. :bwink:
My B barrel M91 is approx. 260 away from your serial number. I notice your Liege proof mark has a "C" with a star above it (between the 7.62 and proof stamps). On mine it is a "W" with a star above it. It's probably an inspector's mark, but now I wonder how many different letters are to be found. :brolleyes:
Thanks for sharing!

Very observant!! I'd never paid attention to that part of the stamp before. The letter on mine is a, "G" with star above it. It's in the lower 21xxx.
Maybe we can start a poll and see just how many different letters we can find with the serial number - mostly to see if there are ranges with a particular letter.

Thanks again for catching this :biggrin:
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Holy S##T!!! :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:

From now on you will have to wear a "O" mask or at least a bandana when purchasing. :devil2:

That was a fine purchase and a steal @ that price :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

Joeinthehills wrote:Holy S##T!!! :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:

From now on you will have to wear a "O" mask or at least a bandana when purchasing. :devil2:

That was a fine purchase and a steal @ that price :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

What an excellent addition to your collection. You stole it at that price! :big shock:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

mosinowner wrote:So what are everyone's thoughts? Would this make a nice addition to the forum "Showcase"?
I think it would. I missed this one earlier. Very Nice!!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Good idea! Looks like this one must be worth about............................ 3K :lol:

Nice rifle and early receiver and as mentioned great price! Congrats! :thumbsup: