What would you get

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cjo1971

What would you get

Post by cjo1971 »

I know the answer is all of them but I can only get 1.
1951 French MAS
ENFIELD NO 5 Jungle Carbine
Chinese sks (missing the bayo)

All priced at 299.99
Ironnewt

Re: What would you get

Post by Ironnewt »

Jungle Carbine, BUT make sure it's a real one.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

I would get the SKS, bayonet is no big deal. I been looking and they seem all around or over $500. Judi and her Mosin's
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Most definitely the Jungle carbine !! But I second the statement that you need to make sure that it is legit.
Jim

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Jungle carbine and then mas. No contest. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

Jungle Carbine!
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sks' are very high here also. Very rarely under 475 and mostly over 500. Makes no matter what condition either. And most are in screwed up stocks. :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

ffeng31 wrote:Most definitely the Jungle carbine !! But I second the statement that you need to make sure that it is legit.
Agreed.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:I would get the SKS, bayonet is no big deal. I been looking and they seem all around or over $500. Judi and her Mosin's
http://www.classicfirearms.com/chicomsks check this out
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

There is no contest. Of the three, the Enfield Jungle 5, if it is legit, is far and away the top. I have all three of what's on your list and you couldn't buy it for under $600.00. Jungle 5's are, of the three, the most faked rifles. Almost as bad as Mosin "snipers"
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Is the French MAS the bolt action rifle or semi auto? Do you know the things to look for on the Jungle Carbine to make sure it isn't a converted No 4?
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

The jungle carbine is the best value at 300. I was just at the gun shop 3 hrs ago and looked at an sks for a long time before buying it for 280.00. I would have had to pinch myself if I was looking at a jungle carbine for 300. Who really likes the French anyway.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Longcolt44 wrote:There is no contest. Of the three, the Enfield Jungle 5, if it is legit, is far and away the top. I have all three of what's on your list and you couldn't buy it for under $600.00. Jungle 5's are, of the three, the most faked rifles. Almost as bad as Mosin "snipers"
I have no idea if the no 5, how to tell?
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

bunkysdad wrote:Is the French MAS the bolt action rifle or semi auto? Do you know the things to look for on the Jungle Carbine to make sure it isn't a converted No 4?
The bolt action I believe it is a 36/51? Has the grenade launcher stock pad and something at the end of the barrel that can be adjusted. I honestly know nothing about it other than it is in great shape and looks cool with the metal looking baffle on the forend. I also understand the ammo is pricey. I know the no 5 I looked at has no 5 stamped on the side and the flash suppressor on the end, other than that how can I tell if its fake?
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

fintowin wrote:The jungle carbine is the best value at 300. I was just at the gun shop 3 hrs ago and looked at an sks for a long time before buying it for 280.00. I would have had to pinch myself if I was looking at a jungle carbine for 300. Who really likes the French anyway.
Good point, wait a second I'm of French descent. So why do I own so many Russian and English rifles ........ Oh we'll C'est la vie!
Last edited by cjo1971 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If it was the grenade launcher mas 36 then that would have been a tough choice. I would likely go for the mas if in good condition with all the attachements there. :thumbsup: AND I LOVE THE FRENCH rifles :biggrin:
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

desdem12 wrote:If it was the grenade launcher mas 36 then that would have been a tough choice. I would likely go for the mas if in good condition with all the attachements there. :thumbsup: AND I LOVE THE FRENCH rifles :biggrin:
What about the ammo being scarce I think it is 7.55 x54
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The No5, just make sure you know how to tell a real one from a fake first.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If I can buy it so can you :shock: :lol: Is the same as swiss ammo and better then 8mm lebel and jap ammo. Is very available here anyway. Reloads with a .308 bullet. :D
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

All kidding about the French aside, the biggest factor here may be condition. Are they all in good condition. A canoe paddle jungle may not be worth what a really nice Russian sks is worth. Also which one do you like the best.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington