Any one live in California? (mostly a Mosin problem)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Any one live in California? (mostly a Mosin problem)

Post by Darryl »

Trying to figure out what to do with my "over flow"collection.

In Jan in Calif you are going to have to have either a Calif. DOJ approved trigger lock or your firearms in a Calif.DOJ approved safe or cabinet.

So I have 3 large safes and one large cabinet already, but these guys below (and on the wall ) will have to find a new resting place.

It's killing me to have to buy 2 more safes!

These are under the bed and on the wall in my gun room, which has a solid core door and locks and also has it's own alarm system from the rest of the house. So to get in you would have to set off two different alarms. The alarm company knows what is inside the gun room, so the will react very fast when (or if)the second alarm goes off. That, and there is someone here almost all the tme now...so. i guess that isn't good enough for them.

Maybe I'll thin the hurd! :bwink: Don't get excited, i have never sold a firearm yet ;mywink;

Out of safe inventory, but not for long........I guess...

TopperT

Re: Any one live in California? (mostly a Mosin problem

Post by TopperT »

Crap, you could outfit your own army........ :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Dolk, here is a cheap option if you want to go this route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-CAT-HEAD-KE ... 2ec8f82ffb
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Every one in the top photo striped, nice :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bb91

Post by bb91 »

How exspensive can those locks be? If they require them do they have to supply them? Throw them a curveball and order 100 or so keyed alike! :)

Seriously, I almost feel bad for you! :wink:
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

What if you removed and locked up the bolts?? Also how do they intend to enforce this new law??
Obstreperous

Post by Obstreperous »

When I bought my crate I was concerned about my FFL requiring a lock for each Mosin so I bought 20 locks from Turners for $6 each. I Have not used them yet as I keep all the bolts locked up seperate from the rest of the guns. I will totally disassemble and or move what I have to out of state in pieces until I move to Arizonia.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Tennessee_Mosin wrote:Dolk, here is a cheap option if you want to go this route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-CAT-HEAD-KE ... 2ec8f82ffb
I looked at those because they are fairly cheap. Problem with them is....they are not "approved" by the CA DOJ. They have to be on the list or it is like they don't exist.

All the trigger locks that are approved are the kind with the cable that goes through the "opened" magazine cover and up and out the top of the receiver. Making it impossible to load ammo and close the bolt. Real pain in the rump..right?

Gsragtop wrote:What if you removed and locked up the bolts?? Also how do they intend to enforce this new law??
Good questions.....

No, you can't just lock the bolts away. That would be too logical.......... or even removing and replace the firing pin, Nope....won't do it.

To enforce it is two ways:
If someone is injured with an unsecured firearm (especially a child), you the owner go to jail....period, and they are looking to do that, so you have a big "risk factor" there.

If a firearm was stolen and it was not secured, people were not reporting them. If the firearm turned up later, the person would just say, I'm not obligated to report a stolen firearm in this state. Well, they changed that and if you don't report within 24 to 48 hours, you go to jail (felony) if the firearm turns up later and you failed to report it within that time period.

No one is coming into your home to check, they know they can't do that, but they have made it clear that if these other two are not followed, they will pursue charges. So, as an owner, you have to lock your firearm their way and with their "approved" devices or risk a potential nightmare.

bb91 wrote:How exspensive can those locks be? If they require them do they have to supply them? Throw them a curveball and order 100 or so keyed alike! :)
No, they don't supply them. They are only about $10 each, but the way they go on is brutal to the firearm.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Well, I'd move out of California...oh wait, I did that already... :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

mogunner wrote:Well, I'd move out of California...oh wait, I did that already... :thumbsup:
Not asking for sympathy....not at all. But I'll be damn if I "cut and run" either. See, these idiots in this state are only in the big cities. They came from your states. 80% of them were not born here, but moved here. So I see no reason to make it easy for them and we will fight them. Most of these laws are going to be challenged in court anyway. We are pretty organized here and believe you me, that stuff in Colorado has got their attention also. But these laws passed before that happened and are on Brown's desk to sign. Some of them he will veto (he is a gun owner also), but he knows that some of them don't stand a chance in court. Others he will sign. Some he will not sign and he will do nothing meaning they go into law without his signature.

This one is expected to be signed because they claim it is a "safety issue" even though they have very few accidents in the state.

So, I'm just getting a jump on things. But, I have these firearms very well secured right now. But technically, not with there "approved devices"......... ;mywink;
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Good thoughts..... I appreciate the suggestions, I'm hoping one of you guys figure out a way around! .....it could happen...... :thumbsup:

Dolk
Obstreperous

Post by Obstreperous »

Most people who leave will not leave for one thing like gun control, in my case there are a couple of reasons that are unique to me like there would be for anyone. Personally I think its to late to stay and fight in this state.I look at it as falling back to to next line of defence :wink: I agree with Dolk's assesment of what will probably happen. But that won't be the end it it or the people behind these laws, I only see it getting worse and I'm a positive kind of guy ( beat a tough cancer). I remember when we recalled Davis but that won't happen again not in today's world.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Could you run one long cable through all of them maybe?
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

Dolk go to a lock smith and ask them to order Master Lock cable locks in bulk and have Master Lock key them all the same. I did this with my lock smith where I live. They will only do it if I ordered 6 or more locks.
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

mogunner wrote:Could you run one long cable through all of them maybe?
I like this idea. The goal in my opinion is to keep the honest people honest. Keep young children from accessing them, if that is even an issue. Safes and gun cabinets that are CA DOJ approved only deter theft. Once again, keeps the honest people honest. How long would it take a thief to open a CA DOJ approved gun cabinet vs finding those rifles under the bed and cutting the cable. Probably the same amount of time. Just sayin'. Just another political illusion. BTW, your pics make my heart beat fast. I remember when only girls did that.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Guess I could hang them on my wall for you Dolk
:devil2:
and send you a picture if you start missing them
:twisted: .
there should be some type of exception for collectors,that law should be for mom and pops with 5 or less rifles
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Just more worthless rulings from the state of Commifornia. If the gun is bolt action and stored with the bolts removed then they
are only good as a club. More rules from people who have no real experience with firearms.
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Good luck with your problem. I hope it works out. IF you need to put them in a museum I will open one up at my house and you can visit them :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

desdem12 wrote:Good luck with your problem. I hope it works out. IF you need to put them in a museum I will open one up at my house and you can visit them :thumbsup:
Yes desdem has the best solution. Let us store them for you! No need for locks or safes :shifty: