Look what I found !

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
gurn

Re: Look what I found !

Post by gurn »

Hmm. I ought to start a "toe shot" thread. Done a few myself.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I see JYD has a leather sling on his,...what type on this one should I buy? I wrapped it back up and now,...the best place to store this ...will that grease melt in a safe? Should I hide it in the basement ? Should I go for another run? My house smells of cosmo, the dog are still happy so it's ok,....keeps everyone from coming over. What should I insure this value at? Need to do that Monday!

Any thing else you can help with....? Thanks Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:I have never seen a Mosin wrapped like that. The cardboard and the paper looks to me like the paper that lines the crates that the rifles come in for importing. I am of the belief that someone didn't want to clean the grease off and just wrapped it up with the liner paper to keep from getting grease on everything. I don't think that cleaning it would add or detract from the value. Is it a laminate? Inquiring minds want to know. I also have this picture in my mind of a you in jogging togs doing the happy dance in circles with a huge smile on your face with a greasy thing over your head and a pistol on your hip dance5 dance5

That is the same type string on those 54r ammo with the stripper clips in those silver cans.

I am not going to unwrap it. ....maybe in ten years. not now thou.

Wish I would have bought everything ....I would have to if I had knowen,...Well learned rule #1 today...and I thought i would have a bad day.

Thank all them animals at the shelter for me Racer, I think they are the one that sent me,...and you guy made me feel good now, finally found something. And I'll keep my smelly feet out of the pictures,...have to ask did I drop money down there you were looking,...suppose to look at a women Mosin, not her toes. :brolleyes: ....Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

I was in Intel for a while. I look at everything. :biggrin:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
gurn

Post by gurn »

I found one that sold on GB. I thought these would go for more. It looks to me that this one was unwrapped, cleaned then re-wrapped. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =355781570
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Judi and her Mosins

gurn wrote:I found one that sold on GB. I thought these would go for more. It looks to me that this one was unwrapped, cleaned then re-wrapped. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =355781570

Thank you for the link.

Still I think I have one still in grease, wonder how long it will take to get them looking like that one or JYD M-44.

Well, I'll buy the pizza and make Ice-tea If I can muster a small work party to help me clean when I do. No beer , you rummys get drunk ...well I heard stories of drunk monkeys work. After, I give you a six -pack and home to the wifes.

Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Six and counting ....
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I woyld have expected more too. Hmmmmm.............
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

Nice find. Much nicer than the M44 I bought a couple of weeks ago. I’d have probably cleaned it and shot it if I didn’t read this thread, but just how much it will be worth down the road unwrapped vs wrapped is anyone’s wild guess. If you have other M44's, leave it wrapped. If not, clean it and shoot it. Take care of it, and it will look good for years to come.
Gary
WIll Fly for Food... and More Ammo
Judi and her Mosins

How would I get all the cosmo off this? Thanks Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

Any Ideas,..It is like tooth paste on it, also Can I save the cosmo, as I never see it in stores do they sell this stuff cosmoline?
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A bucket of diesel fuel and a parts cleaning brush for the metal, rags, and Kotton Klenser for the wood should do the job. The leather sling on mine came with it. At the time these were coming in from the Balkans countries, mainly Romania, the leather sling probably originated there as well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

RazorBurn wrote:You did real good! Congrats on the M44! :Drool1:

No way I could leave that one wrapped. I'd have to clean it off and let it breath and bark fire.

I'd bet my lunch money next week that was a M1 Carbine paratrooper. I've had my stroke of luck here lately with milsurps, but an M1A1 for me is the holy grail of M1 Carbines.
Not to hi-jack Judy's thread, but what would a good price be for an M1 carbine paratrooper. I ask because I did find one yesterday and it was in great condition. I don't know too much about the American rifles though, been mostly sticking with the combloc stuff.

Congratulations Judy, that was an amazingly good find :thumbsup: ! Like many others in this thread, that paper would have been off within minutes of me getting that home!!! I'd love to see it all cleaned up, so if you do go that route, make sure to post up some pictures afterwards! We don't get too many guns at garage sales up here, too many anti-gun liberals around us.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock: SWEEEEEEEEETTTTT :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

Find me one , :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice :thumbsup:
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

Great story. Made me :) Lucky...
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Way to go, Judi! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Judi and her Mosins

Thank you everyone for the help...I hope to have another for next week end. :vcool:

I will let it stay wrapped ....for not but before I do..I'll inquire with with the crew here...thanks...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Dr. Seuss quote
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Congratulations! What a haul! :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Judi,

Just make sure you keep the photos of it all wrapped up and the serial number exposed. That way you can say "this is the condition it was in when it was unwrapped".

Wrapped Mosins are pretty rare. Sometimes the strings that are holding the wrap on leave semi permanent weird marks on the stock.

Dolk
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

good job on that find, bummer on the other three though. :thumbsup:
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

That is awesome! Wow, and to think that you had the cash already on you, I bet the previous owner told his friends later that day, "you're not gonna believe this guys, out of no where, this lady comes up with a pistol on her hip, pulls $200 out of her sock, couldn't believe it". haha. Ah the randomness of life, congrats again!
Finnish M24 "Lotta Rifle"
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and a tattoo..."

evildog

Post by evildog »

Very nice find!!!! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: