Newb questions Mosin Nagant Cleaning

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tinknocker104

Re: Newb questions Mosin Nagant Cleaning

Post by tinknocker104 »

ffeng31 wrote:BTW............. :dont:

OK, I just finished cleaning the red paint rifle.( Looks orange to me :) ) BTW, I used FrogLube CLP to wipe down the entire rifle. I love this stuff. One other thing, I couldn't help noticing that the stock on the red paint rifle, smelled like a campfire. I have cleaned three Mosins so far and the other two do not have that scent. I couldn't help sniffing it. I love campfires. Anyone experience that? Also, about scratching the stock, while sliding the barrel bands on. It was a hex receiver. The only hex that I own. I watched a youtube video where the presenter commented that he had a difficult time removing the barrel bands from his hex receiver. Are the tolerances on a hex receiver rifles inherently tighter than on round receiver rifles? The bands on my round receiver rifles slid off like butter.

NOTE: I'VE DECIDED NOT TO TOUCH UP THE SCARING FROM SLIDING THE BARREL BANDS OFF, ON THE HEX RECEIVER. I'VE FOUND THAT I GENERALLY MAKE THINGS WORSE.

OK, Pics of my Red Paint Rifle: 1938 Tula

You can just make out the /25\ mark above the serial #

The #2 on the stock

Numbers match
Last edited by tinknocker104 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

qz2026 wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that. I have one without the /25\ where the color is distinctly red, not orange. And I've seen /25\ with no orange. I've also seen the /25\ virtually scrubbed where I needed a magnifying glass to see it. I've also seen where the stamp is only 1/2 a stamp (or less). Some have color, some don't. Who knows? I will say that I have noticed this on non PW ARMS orange rifles from several importers which appear to be older imports than what is currently coming in. All the PW ARMS reds that I own have the /25\ - with one of them coming through Molot. But, I will make no blanket statement about this one way or another. Every time I do, someone comes up with the/an exception :D . Who's the importer on yours BTW?

It's from PW Arms
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Looks like it (PW). Sweet Rifle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have noticed a few rifles lately that also smell like campfire wood. I thought it was just me. I traded one of our forum members for a couple of Finn 9130's and they smelled (still do) like they were smoked :D Then another one I purchased was the same way. Go figure. Maybe they heated the storage facility with wood fires indoors :big shock:
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

qz2026 wrote:Looks like it (PW). Sweet Rifle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have noticed a few rifles lately that also smell like campfire wood. I thought it was just me. I traded one of our forum members for a couple of Finn 9130's and they smelled (still do) like they were smoked :D Then another one I purchased was the same way. Go figure. Maybe they heated the storage facility with wood fires indoors :big shock:

I like to think that it sat by the campfire. :biggrin: