Hunting with a M38 or a 91/30- ammunition?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
notsofastbud

Hunting with a M38 or a 91/30- ammunition?

Post by notsofastbud »

Good day,

I am going to assume that some here hunt with Mosin(s). I am particularly interested in experiences with whitetail.
I know FMJ ammunition is not proper. I would guess soft point would be the way to go. Any recommendations as to grain and manufacturer?
I am thinking a carbine is a little too short but works in the bush.
Under 100 yards most likely.
91/30 is a little heavy to lug around, eh?
Successes?
Thoughts?

Cheers

jimB
1929 Izhevsk "Hex" Ex-Dragoon 91/30
1935 Tula "Hex" 91/30
1943 Tula PU Sniper 91/30
1941 VKT M91
Joeinthehills

Re: Hunting with a M38 or a 91/30- ammunition?

Post by Joeinthehills »

I would prefer to use my CZ 550 Cal. 308, or Ruger 44 Carbine commercial rifles to Milsurp MN rifles or carbines, owing to the accuracy of the newer platforms. :brolleyes:

It's all a call on bullet placement, POA; as well as the scopes available for the commercial rifles, when your eyes get as old as mine. :bwink:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

If I were to hunt whitetail with a Mosin I would probably just use the PPU 150 gr SPs. Hornady makes some but it's pretty pricey.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Bear soft point 203s or prvi partisan. I haven't used a mosin for hunting but I think it would be fun. I would probly use a m39 or m91 but to each his own. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:If I were to hunt whitetail with a Mosin I would probably just use the PPU 150 gr SPs. Hornady makes some but it's pretty pricey.
I agree with BuckeyeSgt. PPU is good stuff and will do the job. Hornady is great ammunition but it is pricey. The extra accuracy will be wasted on a shot at 100 yards or less IIMHO)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I'm trying to imagine a humane shot with an iron-sighted Mosin Nagant much in excess of 150 yards on a deer. If you are talking short range, a handload with Hornady 174 Grain Round Nose .312 diameter bullet would get the job done. Having said that, I wouldn't be hunting with the Mosin Nagant. In my territory it is best done with a modern bolt action scoped rifle in a variety of calibers or a single shot hammer fired scoped rifle (in "primitive" season) greater than .35 caliber.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

+1 on the Silver Bear 203 grain soft points. They drop deer like a bad habit and are pretty cheap to boot.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I'm with my pal 'Brad' (dessdem12).....I'd grab an M39 and a box of 'Silver Bear's' or better yet, "hand loads" and I wager you would be good to go up to Moose. My BIL has hunted Black Bear with his 28-30. Don't take much in .30 cal to drop a deer IMHO. Men up in Maine been doing it with freekin 32-40's and 30-30's for 100 years or so :chuckles: :chuckles: . M91 would be fun if it was out in the open, say Caribou or maybe Elk, (don't know anything about Elk just the size seems right for 7.62x54r given correct shot placement), but dragging that long monster thru brush would NOT be fun :big shock: :chuckles: .
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

They take lots of bear and caribou in Russia with our trusty 54r.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

M38 carbine 100 yds. Silver Bear will drop a buck in a heartbeat , so I have to agree with Brad.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I used a .308 in 150 gr to knock the hell out of a Red Stag doe. So I'm sure it would be fine for whitetail. :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

The Russian 7,62x54 is more than adequate for most North American game. Bullet construction is the key. Some "soft" points aren't very soft, like Chinese norinco soft points in 7.62x39. You cant even scratch it with your thumb nail. There is some silver and brown bear ammo that is the same way. These hard lead soft points wont expand at all-mostly just break apart or separate from the jacket.

I reload for the 7.62xeverything. I would not hesitate to use 7.62x54 on whitetail out to 300 yards provided the rifle was accurate enough to hit the vitals at that distance. Killing power is not the issue. Accuracy is. If you have a Nagant that is accurate out to 150-200 yards and you can hit stuff with open sights, then go for it. Hand loading will improve your accuracy a lot if you tweak it right (proper overall cartridge length; bullet weight for your twist; etc.). Winchester makes ammo with soft points that will expand.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ok, all you guys that can see a deer at 300 yards, I envy you, and salute you. I always enjoy reading these kind of threads because everyone is so adamant about what is best. I also realize that everyone is right. As for the guys who handload, you have the best choices. I m thinking any kind of Hornady or Speer around 150 gr would surely get the job done. Brown Bear heavy soft points shoot good, so I would probably enjoy shooting into some wet paper or something similar and seeing what the bullet does. Or maybe a nice big pork roast at 100!:-o
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I can see a deer at 300 no prob.....if it was 12 inches from my nose then id have to get my cheaters.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I know I could do a bang up job on elk with a m91. I have one that is just begging to do the chore. Very good at long ranges. M39 sights are a dream at 100 yards. Not that much heavier then the others. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

I agree with the PPU 150gn SP, Hornady is over priced IMHO
notsofastbud

Post by notsofastbud »

Good day,

First, a Mosin would not be my first choice of rifle/shotgun for whitetail. I might consider it in an post apocalypse situation if it was all I had. That's of course not to denigrate the capabilities of a Mosin.

A bit long and heavy to lug around.

A friend has an M38 with a scope on a rail (ew) that he wants to give a try with. He likes to try all the vintage military rifles in his collection at least once. Has had dropped a deer with his K98 a while back. He has other more suited rifles and shotguns.

I told him I would ask the forum for advice of the ammunition.

Here in the Northeast, long range (>100 yards) would be rare.

We're going to take it to the range next week to get it sighted in. A plus is I will get to shoot my 1929 Izhevsk ex-dragoon for the first time

cheers
jimB
1929 Izhevsk "Hex" Ex-Dragoon 91/30
1935 Tula "Hex" 91/30
1943 Tula PU Sniper 91/30
1941 VKT M91
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I was looking in my ammo locker and found a box of Russian ammo. It reads: 762x54R Hunting cartridges. V25 = 705m/s which I read as 705 meters per second. The total weight is 392 grns. The rounds in the Russian box are soft nose and I believe they are 210 grn heads. This is MORE than adequate for most game up to Moose :shifty: , (there actually is a Moose on the box cover-go figure)......

Now I can fully understand any hunter not wanting to go with iron sighs when he or she can have optics, but lets not rule out the shooter who can place rounds into 2 1/2" at 200 from a rest with the same rifle :thumbsup: .

As for carrying a m39, WELL :brolleyes: :brolleyes: ........ I would rather NOT have all that weight to drag up and down in the woods :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: but the 7.62X54R is a fine round given most situations :soapbox: .
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Heavy rifles just shoot better. Is a fact. My old and now unused deer and elk rifle was a mannlicher full stocked 30-06. Now I am fairly old and have hunted for many years. I just never missed with that rifle. It was heavy and deadly. Now I hunt BP (open sights) cause there are no people and it is inherently much tougher to get a deer and elk. Much more fun. I use a .54 caliber bolt action blackpowder rifle. Is dead on but you have to get a lot closer. It kicks very hard cause it is light. I would love to take a m39 or m91 hunting, if I could get rid of half the people. I think the open sights would be much more of a fun time and more challenging then going out with a big 500 buck scope and shooting one out at 500 yards. I have kilt many a deer and many elk but the harder it is the more rewarding it is to me. I accept this challenge.... :thumbsup: (I wish) :D :D
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

it is long, i think it is pretty light for a mil spec.