303 British head stamps

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Gsragtop

303 British head stamps

Post by Gsragtop »

I picked up 30 rnds of 303 British loose rounds in a plastic box with one stripper clip from my LGS today for $20..

My question is what did I get?? I'm sure the PP is prvipartizan ammo.. However what about the other one?? I have about a 50/50 mix of the two. It almost looks like Cyrillic letters on it..

54r man

Re: 303 British head stamps

Post by 54r man »

Actually they both are PPU,303 ain't my thing though but I think I'm right.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

54r man wrote:Actually they both are PPU,303 ain't my thing though but I think I'm right.
I think he is right.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Duuuhhh PPU is Russian, that was dumb of me.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

my ppu ammo has that head stamp
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

PP PrviPartizan is Serbian, which used to be part of Yugoslavia.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
54r man

Post by 54r man »

Dan4good wrote:my ppu ammo has that head stamp
Not sure if 8mm mauser would carry over to .303, but I've found that the nny headstamps are the full power loads while the PPU headstamp is the weaker loads of that caliber. nny and PPU are both the same company, based in Serbia. I would treat that ammo as corrosive primed, only when fired will we know if its berdan or boxer primed. You can do that by looking down into the empty case and seeing if there's one flashhole or two flashholes. 1 flashhole is boxer while 2flashholes are berdan. Hopes this helps!