war time machine work ex sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
notabiker

war time machine work ex sniper

Post by notabiker »

i have a 1944 ishvesk ex sniper that has the most Beautiful Machine work, i am not a expert or have lots of mosins but i have never seen a war time mosin with this nice of a finish on it. the stock is nothing special but i doubt it was ever issued because the bore is like new. did they spend more time machining mosins that were going to be snipers.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: war time machine work ex sniper

Post by websterz »

It was likely chosen to be a sniper because it was well machined, therefore probably smoother and more accurate than the average rifle off the line that day. Especially during war time they didn't really have the time to spit and polish just to build a special rifle, they were cranking them out as fast as they could and the more experienced machinists were able to do a better job than the newer hands on the line. I believe that is where the cleaner war time rifles came from. Just my :2cents:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

makes sense, no chizzle look at all, i would put it up their with my 1929 ex dragoon TULA for fine machine work. i thought about selling it after i got my AIM 1944 TULA PU but i will keep it .
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

By 1944 the pressure was off the Soviet war industry, so they could afford to take the time and effort to better finish their rifles. In 1942 both regular 91/30 rifles and snipers were sometimes pretty roughly machined. In 1943 snipers were well finished, but many standard rifles were still roughly finished.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1943-44? Not every 1943 has the beaver chewed look, I have some that look as nice as any post war built Mosin, at some point in 1943 they returned to normal rifle production.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt