Questions and info in regards to Remington 1917

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
eriktgreat68

Questions and info in regards to Remington 1917

Post by eriktgreat68 »

I am asking about a 1917 Remington Mosin, to get information about these rifles, on this forum. Then I will be moving my post if I decide to move fourth with my idea. I went to a local gun shop to see if there was any mosins they had a mangled bubba of a mess. The hex receiver was appropriately marked with matching bolt and magazine floor and Remington 1917. My question is did Remington produce a dragoon or carbine or any other variation of a shorter barreled rifle, as this one looked to be short as a factory would do and not simply hacked off, as well as the front sight appeared to be done by design. If this receiver and barrel could be real I would go through with a full restoration.
1940 Tula m91/30
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Questions and info in regards to Remington 1917

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Was it in a stock at all? Possibly a 91/59 but would need pics to know what it really is.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

it wasn't an original stock, bolt handle bent over, and assumed with the scope they had they wouldn't have bothered putting the front sight back on along with making they end of the barrel look correct didn't look to be any grinding or anything and there was an ever so slight rounding to the edge like you would find with a factory made gun
1940 Tula m91/30
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

my phone was dead or I would have asked if I could have snapped a pic of it, next time I am in town I will stop by there
1940 Tula m91/30
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It is a finn cub or bannerman rifle. Not correct and not really fixable. Depending on what it looks like it could be semi collectable but not military correct. I have seen a few around here but not recently. Some were finned rifles and they had a Winchester type front sight and sometimes the rear sight is fooled with also. I personaly wouldn't pay to much if it is one of these but like I said some people collect them. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

No original stock, bent bolt handle, a scope. I smell bubba all over this. It isn't worth even taking pictures in my opinion.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

It has had the hands of a bubba on it but it seems to me to be fixable if it is something real, my dad and I have done a lot of things to restore military things to correct period and collectable condition from a springfield 1903 a m1 and his 1942 ford jeep and yes ford jeep where all ford markings on bolt heads have been restored along with building a non firing .50 cal and browning .30 from original schematics.
1940 Tula m91/30
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Sounds like a Bannerman. They picked on Remington's and cut them down. Also slightly bent the bolt handle down and darkly blued the bolt head. Compare the subject rifle with this information http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mos ... nerman.asp. If a Bannerman it would have to be absolutely pristine to be of interest and only to those who collect them. I don't think you will find any Bannerman collectors here though.

I suppose it could be possible to restore it but at great cost not only in dollars but to collectability. When whoever chopped the barrel, stock and made other "permanent" changes the rifle's collectability and history was destroyed.
Last edited by qz2026 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

bolt head wasn't blued original rear sight, front sight is a blade sight though
1940 Tula m91/30