Underfold AK, if I HAVE to get one..

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Francqua

Underfold AK, if I HAVE to get one..

Post by Francqua »

Ok folks, If I HAD to get an underfolder AK which one would I get and why? An AK underfold newb...

Still getting schooled on my Yugo M70 OPAP! (Love it and learning every time I touch it! )
I want to expand my harem! :D

Francqua
ponycarman

Re: Underfold AK, if I HAVE to get one..

Post by ponycarman »

I would get any one I coud get ahold of for a good price :D . Most ak's are pretty similar.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

One thing to take into consideration is that all collapsible stocks flex. I would also suggest an AK forum for more detailed info (not that Mosin Nagant owners don't know about AK's) One thing about AK's iin general is that they have a short "length of pull" and folders may be even shorter than wood stocked ones. Good Luck.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Francqua

Post by Francqua »

I should have worded the question more carefully...I was asking which is the better underfolder as in...Romanian, Polish, Yugo, etc. that is the correct question.

Ponyman, I sent you a PM did you get it?
I'm having problems again with PM's..they are not showing up in "sent" folder. "Inbox" folder not retaining inbound PM's after I look at them. This very confusing and frustrating. I tried to contact Dolk about this..not sure he got PM...can't tell if PM made it
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I haven't recieved a pm. Not sure what is up.

The polish and yugo rifle tend to be a bit more polished. Not sure which other countries made underfolders. Romanian rifles are normally a little bit more rough but not too bad. Most of their issues were dealing with the older wasr rifles. I have a newer romainian wasr and it has been fine. Underfolder rifles tend to have higher prices and be a bit harder to find from what I can tell. I don't really have a preference in ak's. Just what I can get ahold of. Sorry if I'm not much help. I'm not too picky about my ak's. I like them all and they all are ak's in the end. The main differences are in the makers attention to the details.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Francqua

Post by Francqua »

Stumbled across a Yugo M70AB2 (under fold) at a LGS....
It appears to be lightly used, in good shape with the plastic furniture. No dings or knicks anywhere; bluing looks intact as well. The barrel was a bit dirty, but not too bad. I would like to see it cleaned..so I can see if there is any pitting. The rifle is priced at $599 with one small Chinese metal mag. I am not familiar enough with the Chinese mags to know how many rounds it carried.

So, is $599 a fair price ???
I put a refundable deposit on the rifle. Waiting on your feed back before I pull ALL the way back on the trigger. What do you think?
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

That sounds fair to me if it is in good shape. I gave $550 for a romanian and thought it was a good deal haha. And it wasn't an underfolder. The shop may let you see the the bore cleaned up some. I believe the yugo rifles weren't chrome lined but I'm not totally sure. I know some of them weren't but I don't know if all weren't.

Also prices of surplus 30rnd mags have been coming down some from what I can see. There were some excellent deals recently and are pretty easy to find.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Francqua

Post by Francqua »

Heck, I'll bring in my own bore snake ! One quick pass and I should be able to see enough to make a judgment!

I truly stumbled into this place. Just minding my own business tooling down the road and ! What the heck was that ? A new LGS ? Sweet! Left turn Clyde!
Next thing you know this Cute Yugo chick is up against me! I want to take her home...BAD ! But I need to know more about her first !! LOL
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha almost every gunshop I go into I find something I want to take home. I've been having to train myself to fight the temptation haha :lol: . Although sometimes it doesn't work :twisted:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Francqua

Re: Underfold AK, did it!

Post by Francqua »

My new Hot Yugo chick! A Yugo M70 AB2 with nice thick 1.57mm receiver and a correct double stack bolt; bore not pitted. Still need to clean bore more...appears "gritty" even after extensive cleaning! ??? Muzzle bullet trick is nice and tight.

A few surprises :
1) flip up Iridium night site (sweet) missed that on first inspection...duh
2) rear site is canted to the left...not too bad. How to fix that ??
3) there are NO serial numbers on the bolt or bolt carrier; on the receiver there is only Century's serial number. What's up with that?
4) the dust has it's own serial number and it is a different color ?? Hmm

I traded in the 10 round mag and got a 30 round for free ( I think it is Romanian..please correct me if I am wrong).
No box, but I got a nice padded case for $10 ! Nice new LGS !

Trying to add a few pics Image Image Image
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:thumbsup:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)