New Owner first Purchase

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
eriktgreat68

New Owner first Purchase

Post by eriktgreat68 »

I made my first purchase of a Mosin m91/30, From what I found its a Tula stamped 1940, production number stamped 4056, The butt plate and and magazine well floor have been restamped to 4056, I am guessing its a later stock as it has steel instead of brass, question when did Tula switch from using brass in the stocks? I will be posting pictures later today and get to do my first fire today with it, I am really excited to have this gun finally and looking forward to owning a few more after I start getting my knowledge up. I mainly picked it as my first one because of the date stamp and the barrel was very clean and very crisp on the grooves and landings,
1940 Tula m91/30
Ironnewt

Re: New Owner first Purchase

Post by Ironnewt »

First of all, Welcome aboard. Before you fire your new (to you) rifle may I suggest a set of "Okie Headspace Gauges"? It just so happens they are on sale until the end of the month. They are nice to have.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:welcome2: Looking forward to some pictures! +1 on the gauges recommendation, a very worthwhile investment especially if you're planning on getting more. I grabbed a '40 Tula at the beginning of the month myself. All of my Tula's have been great shooters so far. Hopefully yours will be too!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome. The brass was stopped about the time the war started so they could save the brass for other things. So around 39 or 40. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

I didn't personally check the headspace and went on the word of the guy at Cabela's I figured he wouldn't lie about something like that, I really liked how crisp the lands and grooves still were with out it being rebored it was pretty cherry when I got it, I was mainly hoping to find out about the brass on the stock,
1940 Tula m91/30
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

:welcome: Glad to meet the newly infected. I helped a fellow pick out his first Mosin one time. It also was a 40 Tula. What a dandy!
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Welcome to the boards. Nice bunch of chaps here. Youll get mosinitis very soon..... you cant just own one
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

I already got the infection I have always wanted to own one but now that I took the step to purchase one its spread fast, I was guessing that mine probably had brass thanks I am itching to get off work so I can throw a few rounds down range
1940 Tula m91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, with headspace it's best to trust, but verify just to be safe. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

eriktgreat68 wrote:I didn't personally check the headspace and went on the word of the guy at Cabela's I figured he wouldn't lie about something like that, I really liked how crisp the lands and grooves still were with out it being rebored it was pretty cherry when I got it, I was mainly hoping to find out about the brass on the stock,
He might not have been lying in the absolute sense of the word but that doesn't mean that he was correct either! I've only had one of my 12 fail the check and it was one that I got from Cabelas! When it comes to things that go bang, I like to be double sure so that they don't go boom. I only got one face and while it ain't all that pretty, it's the only one I've got.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

Welcome! You will learn a lot from this forum. One of the most important is don't trust your safety to someone else. I check headspace on every milsurp or used firearm.
Just my 2 cents.....................
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

That's true...I will be checking it
1940 Tula m91/30
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Welcome and enjoy!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Welcome aboard.

We'd love to see photos of the rifle! ;mywink;

Dolk
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Oh, and that too.
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

:welcome2: :post_r: Now go and shoot that fire stick!
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Need to start looking for your second Mosin as soon as possible... Its the Law!!!
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

Welcome :thumbsup:
professor9

Post by professor9 »

Welcome from a fellow newbie.
Headspace gauges are on my list to buy as well. When looking at any Mosin, I find the markings and condition very intriguing. I use the info on this and other sites to research answers and bring to the table my findings, be they right or wrong.
Welcome to Mosinitis! Prof
1915 Westinghouse Finn, Fox Receiver, SA marked
1942 Sako M39
1953 Hungarian M44

Spirit with a vision is a dream, with a mission... RIP Neil Peart
eriktgreat68

Post by eriktgreat68 »

Couldn't find my camera last night but I was able to take it out shooting after finding a local guy that checked the headspace with me there, and free of charge at that...had a nice little kick to it, the gun was accurate I wasn't. I guess thats what I get for living in Iceland 8 years and not shooting since I was in the service. After bracing it it was dead on. Definitely will do the job for just a fun shooter and some bigger game hunting. Will definitely get pics up tonight after I get off work
1940 Tula m91/30