Argentine Mauser 1891

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Argentine Mauser 1891

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought two of these matching 1891 Argentine Mauser rifles from the old Atlanta Discount Ammo company back in 1987 for less than $100 each shipped to my door with 600 rounds of ammo. They have spotless bores, overall are in near perfect condition, some years later I also bought one of the ground crest rifles. Unground crest rifles are rare as most had their markings removed by the Argentine government prior to sale, but as late 80's imports these ones slipped by. They are beautiful shooters, and the build quality in these 19th century German rifles is second to none. Note the removable single stack magazine, a feature that would vanish with the 1893 Mauser, as would the two copper wires that secure the handguard in place. The bayonet is for the 1909 rifle, I can't find the 1891 I know I have someplace.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: Argentine Mauser 1891

Post by desdem12 »

Nice wood on the one. What are they shakeing over? 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shaking? Nothing that I am aware of :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Great example Jim. I still need to add an Argentine to the Mauser family.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The 1909 is the best of them, I need to get it out and shoot some more pics, the best of the GEW98 rifles. Argentines are around, but not at 1980's prices any more :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice. If only one Mauser was to be had I think the Argentine would be the one. Fortunately there are many others to be had.
MuzzleMarc

Post by MuzzleMarc »

These are really nice guns. This was a good deal, too.

MuzzleMarc
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Thanks Marc, back then that was just the regular price, it would be another 13 years or so before prices on milsurp arms would start to climb to what they are now.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

An intact crest is a huge plus on the infantry length rifle. That one is also a real looker.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It is a nice looking crest, the South American countries have some very nice crest designs, Argentina is the only one I know of that scrubbed them, some of the scrub jobs are so well done that you would have no clue the crest was ever there. My one scrubbed 1891 is like that, unissued condition rifle, the only giveaway is the blue they used to cover the ring after crest removal and metal buffing failed to hold up, and there is a white patch in otherwise flawlessly blued rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mine is nice, but not that nice. I love the crest... All I see on mine are grind marks. ;)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Still is a sleeper, many non milsurp collectors have no idea what it is, many milsurp collectors think it's a black powder rifle. Not far off from it I guess, 1886-1891, only five years into the smokeless powder era. They do make nice shooters, however the sights are less than ideal, I had a ball watching an ex Army Ranger friend of mine try to shoot this back in the 90's, he hit everything but the target, just couldn't adjust to the sights.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I see you have both short and long upper handguards. Ours has the longer one. The handguards were lengthened after 1895. Improvement? I don't know. I like them both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Would you all please cut out the Mauser theme. First Izhevsks 91/30s, then M-44s, then T-53, SVT-40, then a damn Tula I swore I wouldn't buy, then a stinking Finned M-91, for heavens sake, I am weak; I can't have a Mauser.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You need many Mauser's, look out, I just paid for another Turk 1893 Mauser I won on GB last night :) coming soon.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

SA1911a1 wrote:I can't have a Mauser.
If you can't have a mauser...then you need a Styer M95, or maybe an enfield, Arisaka? maybe :twisted: :twisted:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:)
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

desdem12 wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:I can't have a Mauser.
If you can't have a mauser...then you need a Styer M95, or maybe an enfield, Arisaka? maybe :twisted: :twisted:
I saw a styer on GB last night in 8mm sitting at 99 dollars.....very tempting.
Last edited by Celt on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a bad price, but you will have to reload for them or spend big for commercial loads from Privi.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Everyone needs a Mauser :Germany:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933