3-4 MOA par for the course on 91/30?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lowflier

Re: 3-4 MOA par for the course on 91/30?

Post by lowflier »

I got my 91/30 back to the range and ran a few groups of 5 shots, with a 5 minute break in-between (waiting for the firing line to "go safe"). Like last week, I seemed to have one high flyer in each group of 5; it's possible that the barrel is changing as it warm (or I just lose concentration 20% of the time :vcool: ): (2nd image below).

Average vertical group size was 6 MoA. Average horizontal group size was 4.1 MoA. (vertical spread was 50% bigger than horizontal). Good news is, 6 MoA is within the black bullseye on standard targets. Bad news is, I was shooting from a bench :biggrin:

For reference, I then shot a M1917 (attached). Average vertical group size was 2.8 MoA; average horizontal was 3.5 MoA (vertical was a tad tighter than horizontal, but basically even). I think the m1917 benefited a bit with the peep sights and better trigger, probably about 25% reduction in group size. But 91/30 vertical grouping was 50% bigger than the M1917.

Can anybody recommend a torque value for the action/tang screws? I think I have mine at 18 in-lbs each.

[Edit: I see another thread showing three groups of 5 shots; they appear to average 3.4 MoA vertical group, and 4.6 horizontal. ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I tighten them firm by hand, never checked the torque, the US M1917 was designed as a precision marksman's tool, the 91/30 as a basic infantry rifle used by an army that did not put great emphasis on individual marksmanship. The Russians went for massive numbers, while the British ( who designed the US M1917) and the US army went for smaller numbers and higher skill level with the rifle. The stringing sounds fairly typical of a basic Soviet 91/30 as it warms up. The Finn M39 will give the M1917 a run for it's money, but the Soviet Mosins rarely will, and then only by chance.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
lowflier

Post by lowflier »

What causes the muzzle rise with a hot barrel? I see a few things people are doing for general accuracy:
- shim the action, using 5 to 20 thou brass shims
- tighten the action screws to 30-40 inch lbs
- float the barrel a bit (permanent change)
- bed the barrel under the forearm band with oiled felt, cork; or even bed the whole barrel length

It seems like if the hot barrel is bending upwards, then either the first or third might help. I have good accuracy between two shots with the barrel cold, or two with hot barrel, so I think the crown is good and the action is tight enough.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You can float the barrel maybe by shimming the action and that would not be a permanent change. That is what the finns do. Also you may try without the handguard. I would just take a week camping (at the range) with all the stuff and try each little thing and see which one works best.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I find with my aging eyes that aperture rear sights are more accurate. I may not be able to focus on them, but I get a consistent fuzzy ring to center the front post. The Enfield, Garand and the target .22's are nice. I'm watching for a 1903A3 someday.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
lowflier

Post by lowflier »

I agree: I need readers, and I see double-images of the rear sight. The two overlapping circles I see from a peep sight or ghost ring works better than double-image rear open sights. That said, I prefer the cheek-weld I get on the 91/30 over the M1 or M1917!
Warf51

Post by Warf51 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's not always the fault of the rifle, sometimes it's the ammo, Mosins are notoriously picky about ammo, swap to another country's cartridge, or another lot and POI can change. Also keep in mind that many of us are older now, and can't see for shit anymore.
Boy that is the truth! Yes,,,,3 or 4 is perfectly OK with an Iron sighted rifle at 100. Matter fact,,it is good! :big shock:
If you got them by the Balls their Hearts and Minds will follow! The Duke