Show your AK rifles!

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
entropy

Re: Show your AK rifles!

Post by entropy »

My AMD-65. I built this one, and my Dad liked it so much, we had to build one together. Fun project:

Rongo shot mine, and wanted one also. so a third build was done:

Another friend, Louie, trying it out. Now I have the hankering to build an AK pistol, but no $$$! :very mad:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I want to build one sometime but the price of parts kits and the tools have been going up. Did you build them yourself? How much did all the tools needed to put them together run you?
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

With occasional exceptions, the price of parts kits will continue to rise and they will get harder to find - especially the more unusual variations and anything with an original barrel. If you just want a shooter AK, those O-PAP or whatever they are called new Yugoslavian made rifles from Century are a smoking deal. And of course there are the Saiga and VEPR rifles, Arsenal if you want to spend a little more.

Earlier Chinese, Egyptian Maadi, Romanian, and Hungarian imports are out there too, although living here in California we can't get those because they are on the Marxist Sodomite pedophile kleptomaniac thieve's (aka, Democrat politicians) ban list. Around here, and in general, the closest you can get to an original Comblock military AK without building it is a WASR-10/63. These are genuine original Communist Warsaw Pact era Romanian military AK's that have been rebuilt at the arsenal that originally made them, using a new production semi-automatic receiver instead of the original full auto one which of course our kind and thoughtful overlords will not let us have. I recently saw some Hungarian made AK's for sale that appear to be all Hungarian made except the required U.S. 922(r) stuff, but don't know if these are assembled in Hungary with all original military parts on a new receiver, or new made parts like the currently imported Yugo AK variations.

And there are a few companies that do offer AK variations built up here using foreign parts kits. Besides the 922(r) crap, these usually have U.S. made barrels and receivers.

One of the advantages to building your own is that you can build and own a version - often a rather rare one - that is not otherwise obtainable. So while I have less into my WASR, Saiga, Polish Hellpup, or Draco than I will have into my Soviet builds or my Polish underfolder, six or seven hundred dollars will not get you a '69 Izhmash AKM or a Polish underfolder with Polish barrel and receiver.

I plan to assemble my rifles myself, with guidance and assistance from experienced and highly regarded local AK builders who have all the necessary tools, equipment, and supplies. This makes better financial and practical sense, at least in my case, than buying the tools and trying to do it all by myself.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Here's my WASR 10/63. It's a plain jane, but it eats everything I feed it. After putting it on paper to get the front sight adjusted it shoots pretty good, especially for an AK variant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I need me an AK darn it!
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Dooo eeet! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info marcus. I've been wanting to build one for a while but with how everything has shot up I'm not sure it is worth it. Unless I just want a project. I've already got a saiga I converted and a wasr. Just thinking about future ak collecting. While I like my ar I really really like my ak's and they would be my go to rifles I believe. :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

There are a number of fixed stock Polish AKM kits that just came on the market - several of the dealers and AK parts sellers have them. I think they are in the $400 range.

Take one of these, one of the virgin Romanian barrels from APEX (they have a limited amount of these, no prospects of getting any more, and when they're gone - they're gone), and one of the fully hardened and heat-treated 80% Polish receivers from Cameron "Dark Knight" Childers at Childers Guns, and you would have a pretty nice rifle that is as close to a Communist era Polish AK as one is likely to ever find. Since I already have a few Polish military AKM barrels and Polish Radom receivers, I wish I had the spare funds to pick one of these up. But my Polish underfolder and Soviet AKM build projects have pretty much eaten up any spare funds that aren't already set aside for my dog rescue/shelter/sanctuary.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

After October 1, 2013, AKs will be banned here in MD. Still trying to get a Vepr in 54r, but most dealers won't sell to MD already. wish me luck
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

entropy, what is the stock on the second AMD 65 you posted? I'd like to put one of those on mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
dou44

Post by dou44 »

most of mine.
entropy

Post by entropy »

ponycarman wrote:I want to build one sometime but the price of parts kits and the tools have been going up. Did you build them yourself? How much did all the tools needed to put them together run you?
All three were screw builds, so I didn't need any special tools. All used completed recievers, so no bending or such. I drilled out the rivets, and put the screws in. I guess taps were the only tools I needed to get. I usually have 6-48 and 8-40 taps around but these took 10-28 and 1/4-20 taps. A lot of people malign screw builds, but as long as they are done correctly, I see no problem with them. All three builds are solid and rock steady. I have well over 2000 rounds through mine, I stopped counting after that. YOu'll use up a lot of Dremel cutting wheels getting the old rivets out, be warned. :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

entropy

Post by entropy »

bimmey wrote:entropy, what is the stock on the second AMD 65 you posted? I'd like to put one of those on mine.
ATI Sidefolder. My Dad wanted that because he didn't like the wire stock. I wanted mine to look as stock as possible so kept mine. I think I ordered it from Galati International, but Cheaper than Dirt had them, too.

Murphy was an optimist.

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Sirex wrote:After October 1, 2013, AKs will be banned here in MD. Still trying to get a Vepr in 54r, but most dealers won't sell to MD already. wish me luck
Yeah, Lucky Us.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

OK; since the thread is about showing our AK rifles, here's one of mine. It's a clone of an NVA Type 56 Vietnam-era rifle, built on a semi-auto CNCWarrior receiver using a Chinese Screw-in barrel and parts kit. Not 100% perfect, but still good enough to suit my tastes.

optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

Yugo M70B1 (mine) and Rommy Wasr 10/63GP (hers) done with a blue water based stain and Kalishnakitty decal
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I painted and stippled the handguard to my saiga. It doesn't match perfectly but its close. It will hold me over till I can get ak furniture on it. Its an ak and doesn'treally have to be perfect .

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
notsofastbud

Post by notsofastbud »

Here's my "Little Antelope".
AntelopeA2_small1.jpg
Started as a Saiga/Arsenal SGL21-72 (Plum NATO length stock).
Ironwood Designs Baltic Birch Laminate NATO length w/ their "Russian Red" finish.
Standard modifications:
Krebs FCG retainer
Recoil buffer
G2 Trigger group
Steel Polish mags
Surplus Russian sling

Cheers
jimB
1929 Izhevsk "Hex" Ex-Dragoon 91/30
1935 Tula "Hex" 91/30
1943 Tula PU Sniper 91/30
1941 VKT M91
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

I got rid of my AK and picked up another Chines SKS type 56 I like them more for accuracy rather then the AK spray and pray.
wtjosaas

Post by wtjosaas »

Here's a couple Saigas that I converted.

redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Very nice, good job :thumbsup: and hey I like that Bald Eagle.