Need some help VKT M39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tinknocker104

Need some help VKT M39

Post by tinknocker104 »

I'm looking to add this rifle to my collection. I'm still very much a newb to Mosin rifles. This is a private party sale. Probably somebody here on the board, LOL. So here are the specifics.

This rifle is in Excellent Condition, with Excellent Bore. Very Accurate, and Also Very accurate with Cast bullets. The bolt, barrel and receiver match, nothing else is numbered. Stock is post war and has the usual plugs in the butt stock. I would rate bluing at 95% +.

Just a few scratches behind the receiver Plugs in the Butt Stock? Can Someone explain the Plugs and the two Grooves?
Image Image
I'm very interested in this rifle. I would like to know what would be an acceptable offer? 300.00-600.00?

Thanks
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need some help VKT M39

Post by millman »

The plugs are knothole repairs, and the 2 grooves are inserts put in to strengthen the toe of the buttstock. I would offer $250 and work up to $350 if I had to.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

millman wrote:The plugs are knothole repairs, and the 2 grooves are inserts put in to strengthen the toe of the buttstock. I would offer $250 and work up to $350 if I had to.

Are the plug repairs common to the Finnsh stocks?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yes, they are pretty common.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sounds like a perfectly normal M39, it couldn't be anyone on the board, nobody I know would part with a M39 once it's in their grasp. Unless they kicked it and the Mrs. is selling off their shit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Sounds like a perfectly normal M39, it couldn't be anyone on the board, nobody I know would part with a M39 once it's in their grasp. Unless they kicked it and the Mrs. is selling off their shit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The knothole repairs are very common matter of fact I traded for one with a great number of repairs on it for no other reason than the number of repairs. It is one cool looking stock! My prices would be cheaper than mentioned above but then I am cheap too. Bill :D
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

I'm also looking at a M39 No Maker -1968 -excellent (as un-issued) -100% bluing -stock new post war stock -mirror sharp bore with strong rifling. Is one considered more collectible than the other? Also, I'm in California and asking prices are higher than those that are being suggested. I mean, Big 5 is selling 91/30s for 180.00-200.00. I also went on to Pat Burns site and I'm seeing prices for M39s on the low side at 350.00 to 450.00 on the high side. not including shipping. I should note that I don't have a C&R FFL. Seller is asking 450.00 for the MKT. Originally 525.00. Seller of the No Maker is asking 500.00.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Vkt is a little high if you ask me. Not sure about cali prices. I would say 350 ish. The 68 is gonna be higher :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

As you already know, the knot hole repairs are works of art in many ways. I have a stock that looks just like the Olympic rings logo.....amazing woodworking detail.

'desdem12' is correct. As for pricing..................a tiny bit high, but what ain;t :grumpy: You also getting total quality and no shipping. Buy! :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"