Tell me about this Mosin - my first! Believe its an M28

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
redrockin7

Tell me about this Mosin - my first! Believe its an M28

Post by redrockin7 »

So I just did a little barter and got a Mosin. My brother-in-law whom I got it off of didn't know much about it, nor care about it. I don't know much about them either, but I did look it up quickly via google and believe I have a Finnish made M28 based upon the length of it, the SY marking on the barrel, and a T in an inverted triangle (meaning it was made at Tikka...), and the barrel bands and sights.

So, what else should I know about this one?

I was originally going to fiddle around with it and maybe refinish it. Maybe just strip it and stain/poly it, which would keep it somewhat original looking. However, upon finding out the M28s are a little rarer, I am not sure I am going to touch it. I might just keep it original and shoot the heck out of it.

Probably the last thing I am going to do is get rid of it, but I might consider that also. I like the Mosins, I'll be honest, but I don't see myself collecting 10, 20, 50, or 100 of them. I enjoy my modern firearms too and focus there. So, I *might* let it go to a collector who might enjoy it more than myself, and replace it with another couple Mosin's, maybe one I could refinish, as I really just want some practice refinishing wood stocks, but don't think this is the model to practice on. I will say however, that regardless of what I do, it really is a thrill finding out the history and specifics of your Mosin.

I will post some pics following this post.

Thoughts?
Last edited by redrockin7 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
redrockin7

Re: Tell me about this Mosin - my first!

Post by redrockin7 »

Barrel markings:

Bolt serial, there is a struck through serial on the receiver and matching series on the opposite side receiver (no pic of this):

Rear sight:

Imported by Marathon and front sight:
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Import mark:

Buttpad:

Another mark on stock:

Full shot:
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Well first of all..Welcome..
We strongly disagree with ANY alterations to Mosins..Playing with the wood is not something we like.
Home Depots got wood,if you want to play.. :thumbsup:
Making any changes to that Finn Rifle(if that is what you have) will lessen its value,and that would be a shame.
Lets see some pic's..
Again Welcome..
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
redspoon

Re: Tell me about this Mosin - my first! Believe its an M28

Post by redspoon »

Nice score Redrockin7 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: just from the pics I see it's prolly a four to six hunert $ rifle. You sand and restain it, or re blue anything it knocks about $300 off the value. Again very nice find congrats and welcome aboard.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Good day and welcome to the forum. It is evident from your post that you dont fancy messing with this old girl, and it is a good thing because you are correct in your analysis. You have traded into a Finnish M28 Mosin Nagant. A rather nice one at that. While not the rarest of Finn Variants , they are quite collectible. The M28 ,simply put, was a M27 that the Civil Guard made a few changes to their liking. Take her out and let a few rounds fly down range. You never know, you may find your self infected with what we call Mosinitis. If not youve lost nothing (other than the feeling in your shoulder) and you will have no problem finding her a new home. Once again, welcome..
Jim

redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Thanks for the welcomes, I look forward to learning a bunch more about these rifles and maybe adding some others someday.

What is the general rule of thumb for shooting these things? I know they are built like tanks and assume as long as there is nothing obstructing the bore, they should generally be pretty safe to shoot? Is there anything else I should check over before sending some downrange?
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Also, is there a trick to getting the cleaning rod out of this thing? I've tried everything within my power and it certainly seems stuck pretty good!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

redrockin7 wrote:Thanks for the welcomes, I look forward to learning a bunch more about these rifles and maybe adding some others someday.

What is the general rule of thumb for shooting these things? I know they are built like tanks and assume as long as there is nothing obstructing the bore, they should generally be pretty safe to shoot? Is there anything else I should check over before sending some downrange?
Very nice rifle for sure. You'll likely want to check the headspace (see the OKIE banner above). It's likely fine but it's always a good idea to be safe. Also check the firing pin protrusion. Too short and she might not go bang. Too long and she'll dry your hair and soil your pants..
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

How do I know if the firing pin protrusion is too short or too long. Soiling pants does not sound like something I want to do. lol
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Lotema wrote: Very nice rifle for sure. You'll likely want to check the headspace (see the OKIE banner above). It's likely fine but it's always a good idea to be safe.

So, I would want the no-go gauge correct? And as long as my bolt won't close on it, I am good to go? Or would you just get all 3? Would a gunsmith have these or similar gauges they could check it and I would not need to purchase them?
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Pm sent
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. As the others have stated you do not want to refinish anything on this or any other military surplus weapon. It devalues them, but more importantly removes it's history. Collectable firearms are like any other collectable and are appreciated as the are, untouched. The only time you may get help in refinishing one here is to undo what you're concidering doing because this is a preservation forum.
Before you shoot this rifle you may want to do a few checks to make sure it's safe to fire. That would be a headspace check and firing pin protrusion check. You should disassemble the rifle and clean it also and while it's apart look it over to see if you spot any damaged parts. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then maybe you could take it to a gunsmith. If you did want to do it yourself we'll be here to answer any questions you may have besides refinishing it. Headspace gauges are available from our sponsor, Okie Headspace Gauges. http://www.okiegauges.com/sales.html You'd want the field gauge at a minimum but most people get the No-Go and Field gauges. The firing pin protrusion tool is available from Liberty Tree Collectors https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=41

Now to the stuck cleaning rod. I'd stand it up in a corner somewhere and using good penetrating oil drip some on the rod where it goes into the stock by the rear barrel band. It will run down to where the rod goes into the nut it's screwed into. Let it sit over night reapplying more oil a few times while it sits. The next day gently try to unscrew the rod by trying to twist it back and forth. Not much more force than finger pressure. Be very careful because you could break the threads of the rod off in the nut it screws into. It may take a few days to do this. As a side note when you do get it out do not use it to clean the bore. At this point they are just part of the rifle's package and it to hard on the bore to be used for what it was originally intended.

Here's a few videos about headspace checking and firing pin protrusion as well as some others. They were made by our own JunkYardDog. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 66&t=14571
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

redrockin7 wrote:
Lotema wrote: Very nice rifle for sure. You'll likely want to check the headspace (see the OKIE banner above). It's likely fine but it's always a good idea to be safe.

So, I would want the no-go gauge correct? And as long as my bolt won't close on it, I am good to go? Or would you just get all 3? Would a gunsmith have these or similar gauges they could check it and I would not need to purchase them?
A gunsmith should have the gauges. Worst case, the Field gauge should be enough. If you plan on having more Mosins though, they're nice to have.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome. Never refinish military historic rifles. Practice and other finishing should always be done on sporters as you can not ruin historic value. To practice on 91/30s is the same desecration as messing this beauty up. M28s are special for sure. Used by civilguard of finland to protect their homeland from invasion of Russia. Tons of history. Worth in the hood of 350-500. You can even narrow down the part of finland it was used by looking up the S number. The CG rifles were owned by the farmers and regular people who had to purchase their own rifle and took care of it themselves till called to duty. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Where is / what is the S number?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You don't have pics of them, but they are the struck thru and the other numbers you mentioned. Post pics of the sruck numbers and the non struck numbers. Likely your m28 does not have a serial, but has an S number (civilguard district number). Would have to see fotos to tell though. :D
first picture-S number
2nd picture-on this one is a serial number. Some don't have one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Welcome: You have received great information on what is a VERY nice rifle. Its going to be a real eye-opener upon shooting it. :biggrin: But please remember: IF YOUR SHOOTING CORROSIVFE AMMO YOU MUST CLEAN THIS RIFLE. Please remember that and take good care of what is a really nice, damn nice frankly, rifle. Leaver her as she is and take her "dancin'" :popgun: :popgun: :welcome3: :Finland:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Here's the numbers on the receiver including S number that is struck through. The 24030 number matches the bolt:

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

14283 - 14475 Salo
22961 - 24660 Turunmaa
Maps at the bottom http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn ... umbers.asp :D