New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mcsupersoldier wrote:Thanks for allowing me to be part of your forum. I have many Mosins and am anxious to find out more about them. Thanks again.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

Hey all!

My name is Ray, I just purchased my first Mosin Nagant ever, I'm pretty stoked about it.
It's a 1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant 91/30, it's not too bad on the eyes, and I've already taken it apart and cleaned it.....3 times.
It was already cosmoline free when I got it, thank god. haha. Anyway, I have not shot it yet, still waiting on the tear drop multi tool to
verify firing pin depth before I touch one off. Thanks for the new community!

-Ray
Finnish M24 "Lotta Rifle"
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and a tattoo..."

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

raydogg30 wrote:Hey all!

My name is Ray, I just purchased my first Mosin Nagant ever, I'm pretty stoked about it.
It's a 1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant 91/30, it's not too bad on the eyes, and I've already taken it apart and cleaned it.....3 times.
It was already cosmoline free when I got it, thank god. haha. Anyway, I have not shot it yet, still waiting on the tear drop multi tool to
verify firing pin depth before I touch one off. Thanks for the new community!

-Ray
Welcome to the board Ray. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
squaw man

Post by squaw man »

Hi, my name is Gene (squaw man) and I have the addiction. Years ago, the wife gave me an 1896 7MM Mauser as a gift on our first Christmas. The Mauser was pretty good, but there was something missing, something kept calling my name. All you guys/gals on this forum know of what I speak. Early this year, we were at a gun show and I heard the voice. This time it was stronger and it said "I am a 91/30 and I am not what you are looking for, but I am very close, keep looking. I kept looking and finally, there it was, like the sun coming up over the ocean. An M38 called me over and said "here I am, come to mama". That one was not in very good shape, but now I knew what had been calling my name. I found one in Charleston that was cherry and yes I probably paid too much for it. But that was the girl I wanted to take to the dance, so I didn't mind.
After a few months, she whispered to me, "you know, I have a cousin that you would enjoy getting to know, her name is SKS, and I would not mind sharing you with her".
Now I have a Norinco model 56 that is really cherry. I did not pay too much for her, the guy didn't know what he had.
That's exactly the way it happened! I am not exaggerating one bit. :D
"To disarm the people is
the most effectual way
to enslave them."

George Mason
fredd3039

Post by fredd3039 »

Hi I'm here. I hope this covers the post requirement.
Frank
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

squaw man wrote:Hi, my name is Gene (squaw man) and I have the addiction. Years ago, the wife gave me an 1896 7MM Mauser as a gift on our first Christmas. The Mauser was pretty good, but there was something missing, something kept calling my name. All you guys/gals on this forum know of what I speak. Early this year, we were at a gun show and I heard the voice. This time it was stronger and it said "I am a 91/30 and I am not what you are looking for, but I am very close, keep looking. I kept looking and finally, there it was, like the sun coming up over the ocean. An M38 called me over and said "here I am, come to mama". That one was not in very good shape, but now I knew what had been calling my name. I found one in Charleston that was cherry and yes I probably paid too much for it. But that was the girl I wanted to take to the dance, so I didn't mind.
After a few months, she whispered to me, "you know, I have a cousin that you would enjoy getting to know, her name is SKS, and I would not mind sharing you with her".
Now I have a Norinco model 56 that is really cherry. I did not pay too much for her, the guy didn't know what he had.
That's exactly the way it happened! I am not exaggerating one bit. :D
Welcome to the board, Issued M38, that sounds interesting, most were typical refurbs, issued could mean Finn, or one of the Balkan used M38's, even a bringhome, nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fredd3039 wrote:Hi I'm here. I hope this covers the post requirement.
Frank
Welcome to the board Frank, and yes, it covers the requirment :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
subdood

Post by subdood »

Hello guys and gals,

I'm Jeff aka "subdood".

I used my new C&R License today for the 1st time to purchase a Russian 1891/30 Mosin Nagant.

I look forward to the UPS guy showing up next week.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

subdood wrote:Hello guys and gals,

I'm Jeff aka "subdood".

I used my new C&R License today for the 1st time to purchase a Russian 1891/30 Mosin Nagant.

I look forward to the UPS guy showing up next week.
Welcome aboard Jeff, First Mosin, and first use of the C&R, cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
bob67

Post by bob67 »

Bob 67, from SW Florida.
brixton_briefcase

Post by brixton_briefcase »

just bought a mosin hopefully shootig it this weekend can't wait :thumbsup:
shoot the refurbs

Post by shoot the refurbs »

hey there guys, new to this forum but not the mosin rifles. let me tell you a little about myself, my name is Ryan i am a college student in north texas, i have owned 8 91/30's (4 hex, 4 round) total so i've cleaned my share of cosmoline. have detoured for quite some time on sks and ak platform rifles recently, but am getting back into my mosins as i recently picked up a m44 from classicfirearms on saturday. first thoughts unpacking it, 1945 Izhevsk, not ultra heavy cosmo, i had asked for a handselected bore and i man i got one. doing some research i see it's molot no ugly stamping on the other side of the reciever but the diamond symbol is lasered in the top of the rear tang area and once i took off the barrel cover i could see the other molot markings. i've heard rumors of people saying these are rebarreled and if so this could be a possibility, the barrel is gorgeous perfect muzzle crowning and a mirror inside. can't say i'm an expert at all in the molot area hoping to get some pictures up on the molot subforum here shortly so i can see what i got here. hope to have a very informative stay here on this forum base. :pop:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bob67 wrote:Bob 67, from SW Florida.
Hello Bob, welcome to the board :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

brixton_briefcase wrote:just bought a mosin hopefully shootig it this weekend can't wait :thumbsup:
Welcome to the board, let us know how it goes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

shoot the refurbs wrote:hey there guys, new to this forum but not the mosin rifles. let me tell you a little about myself, my name is Ryan i am a college student in north texas, i have owned 8 91/30's (4 hex, 4 round) total so i've cleaned my share of cosmoline. have detoured for quite some time on sks and ak platform rifles recently, but am getting back into my mosins as i recently picked up a m44 from classicfirearms on saturday. first thoughts unpacking it, 1945 Izhevsk, not ultra heavy cosmo, i had asked for a handselected bore and i man i got one. doing some research i see it's molot no ugly stamping on the other side of the reciever but the diamond symbol is lasered in the top of the rear tang area and once i took off the barrel cover i could see the other molot markings. i've heard rumors of people saying these are rebarreled and if so this could be a possibility, the barrel is gorgeous perfect muzzle crowning and a mirror inside. can't say i'm an expert at all in the molot area hoping to get some pictures up on the molot subforum here shortly so i can see what i got here. hope to have a very informative stay here on this forum base. :pop:
Welcome to the board, grease, you have cleaned good ol' cheap commie grease off the Mosins, Cosmoline is our stuff, product of a first world economy, or what used to be one anyway. Sounds like the start of an excellent collection :thumbsup: We have a forum for the SKS rifles here as well.
Theodore Roosevelt
SMS Wolf

Post by SMS Wolf »

New member from CT here. Got my 91/30 two weeks ago and took it out to the rage yesterday for the first time. Became a fan immediately. Sights were "dead on" at 70 ft (unfortunately thats the max in door range length I got in my neck of the woods).
SMS Wolf

Post by SMS Wolf »

Oh, forgot.... This was also my first purchase as a C&R license holder.

Sent from my Apple Newton
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Hi, I'm Joker. A friend of mine suggested this as a good Mosin forum, so I thought I would join and see what's here. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SMS Wolf wrote:New member from CT here. Got my 91/30 two weeks ago and took it out to the rage yesterday for the first time. Became a fan immediately. Sights were "dead on" at 70 ft (unfortunately thats the max in door range length I got in my neck of the woods).
Welcome to the board, it's very unusual to find a Mosin that will be dead on at that range. Most will be high shooters having been set for 200 yards or more and will have windage issues without a bayonet mounted until the Elby sight tool is used to adjust the front sight a bit. Very good luck, I had that happen with only one or two of my Soviet refurbs :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

PvtJoker wrote:Hi, I'm Joker. A friend of mine suggested this as a good Mosin forum, so I thought I would join and see what's here. :D
Hello Joker, I liked that movie also :lol: welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt