Contemplating a M1 Garand purchase

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
optikalillushun

Contemplating a M1 Garand purchase

Post by optikalillushun »

With the govts new EO being signed dealing with importation of us mil-surp weapons back into the states i thought now might be a good time to order one from CMP before they are gone. From what i seen a service grade H&R is available for $625. Seems like a good deal to me, anyone know much about the H&Rs?

Also if i get one, what all comes with it? Would i need a sling, bayo, etc? And are they available in new repro as im sure originals will be quite expensive. My hunt for a Mauser may wait, because those arent on the chopping block and readily available.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Thib

Re: Contemplating a M1 Garand purchase

Post by Thib »

CMP Service grade HRA's are nice! Mine came with the original USGI Walnut stock. They do not come with a bayonet or sling. Just like you see it here...

bocephus

Post by bocephus »

The H&R they sent me is pretty nice. It's from 1955 so not much history there but the trade off is it's in excellent condition.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i have 2 springfields one made in 42 and the other in 43.i sent in a order for the H&R on the 26 of the month.you will not be disipointed in what you get.both of mine were bought this year and the top one came about 3 weeks ago.wait time is around 3-4 months .while you are ordering pick up acouple of cans of ammo from them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Buy the rifle now, don't worry about all the little crap, you can get that later, maybe not so with the rifle itself.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

im sending out my order for a h&r on Tuesday as soon as I get home
im just worried I wont get one in time now because of the Obama ban stuff
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :crossedfingers:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i ordered another one and i hope it shows up for christmas.
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

in yalls opinion if I send out my order Tuesday do you think that I will get one? I think with the Obama ban scare people are gonna swallow them up
optikalillushun

Silly question, but since i cant get in touch with them now what kinda of credentials do i need? Something about being a cmp memeber? All i have now is my Pa LCTF...which i seen was mentioned on there...would that count?
optikalillushun

Kam,

i called them friday when i seen this and they said there are a good number of rifles left but they dont know how this is going to affect them.
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

optikalillushun wrote:Silly question, but since i cant get in touch with them now what kinda of credentials do i need? Something about being a cmp memeber? All i have now is my Pa LCTF...which i seen was mentioned on there...would that count?
Yes. That's one part! Now join an associated organization, like the Garand Collectors Association (http://www.thegca.org/pdfs/GCAMemApp.pdf) or any of the other organizations described in the membership requirements and you are good to go.
Nagant-Lover

Post by Nagant-Lover »

Aren't most of the surplus M1s in the US anyways? I was about to buy another Mosin Nagant but I think I'll put that money towards a M1 Garand now. Might take me another month before I can buy it though since I'm in the middle of starting a business and money is a bit tight hopefully they will have them in stock I'm within driving distance of the Ohio CMP store.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

if you order it now the wait is at least 90 -120 from what they tell me.i did not have the money either but by the time they charge my card i will have it saved.
A J

Post by A J »

I purchased 2 H&R M1 Garands over the course of the last year or so. Both were service grades for $625. No complaints. Both arrived in excellent condition with lots of new parts to include stocks, bolts and some other parts. Barrels that were very lightly used. It's the luck of the draw, but CMP really takes care of its customers.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You can't lose with CMP and any Garand M1.

If I had to grab any of my milsurps and run with it in an emergency, it would be one of my M1's. That is a sweet rifle and dealing with CMP makes it a good bet you will get a decent rifle.

I hate waiting for things, but these guys are rock solid. I got my first one from Sgt.Rob. Can't get better then that, but CMP is pretty close.

Dolk
dou44

Post by dou44 »

I just wish they would get caught up on orders,i want to go check the place out.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

dou44 wrote:I just wish they would get caught up on orders,i want to go check the place out.

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: They have been like that as far back as I can remember. Sometimes they surprise people, but not very often!

Just put in for one and try to forget about it until it comes! :roll: :bwink:
Nagant-Lover

Post by Nagant-Lover »

So this is on the CMP forums : *edit: post is gone now but it was some guy saying that CMP buys they from the feds rather than imports them*

I'm thinking that this means we don't have to worry about the CMP running out of rifles? If they are buying their rifles from the feds instead of importing them I don't think this order will make them run out.
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I sent my order form out in the mail yesterday! wish me luck =)