Hi Guys

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mustangwalker

Hi Guys

Post by mustangwalker »

Well folks after just now checking the web I now know the type of guy I just purchased from a buddy of mine who is a rookie gun collector and its a Russian Mosin-Nagant with the star log on it. Now guys here is the big kicker....THE GUN NICKEL PLATED....Please let me know what I have and what is the value of this gun. The sites and bolt action part are not plated
srv1
ban
ban

Re: Hi Guys

Post by srv1 »

You have a shiny new paper weight. It is not worth anything as for collectors value. You may get some punk kid who will pay you a $150 for it but that is on the high side and I doubt you would even get that.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Most of these "plated" Mosins were done by a retailer. That basically takes the value as a collectable riifle to almost nothing.

It still has value as a shooter only or as a parts rifle if any of the parts are not plated.

Sorry to tell you that.

Dolk
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
mustangwalker

Post by mustangwalker »

GOOD GRIEF LOL..........WHY ME
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

As stated by others the collectability train has left the station. It could still be an excellent shooter. My suggestion is to shoot the piss out of it start your collection with another one.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Stopsign32v wrote:Oh and post pics. :vcool:
No, please do not post photos here. That is a bad suggestion and a violation of the rules to boot

Just shoot the rifle an have some fun with it for what it is. It will fire just fine.

Dolk
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

It's been bubbaized. End of story
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

I seen one painted in camo colors,...They did not make them in chrome?
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

It's to bad the rifle has been messed with, but hang around here for a while. You will learn what to look for and educate yourself for future purchases.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:I seen one painted in camo colors,...They did not make them in chrome?
No Judi, they did not make them in chrome, and they did not make them in camo either, these things were done here in the states by outfits like Classic Arms .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mustangwalker wrote:GOOD GRIEF LOL..........WHY ME
Shit happens, you learn from it and move on. It's still a firearms, you can still shoot things with it, and use it as a camp rifle. Welcome to the board, there are many 91/30's around, any gunshop should be able to find you one for under $300.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Sorry to hear you got jammed up with a "Bubba Special" The best thing to do is shoot the heck out of it.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

On the upside, you have a great "Truck Gun". Beats a .22 .
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

:attn: Even though everyone is jumping to conclusions, how do we know it is actually "nickel plated"? What if the bluing is all gone from the receiver, muzzle end, and mag? I have an M44 like this, that if it wasn't for the patina on mine it might look non-original (meaning if bubba shined up the bare metal) it could look like it was plated? He said the sight's are not plated; usually a heavily worn rifle will still have bluing on the sights even when it's gone most everywhere else. What if he has a balkan rifle or a Finn capture that saw heavy use and was not reblued?

We will never know since we've all made assumptions that it's "bubba'd" so he's not allowed to post a picture of a rifle that may or may not be sporterized. This should be a place of learning. How will newer collectors learn what is original and what is bubba'd if we censor the "bad stuff?" I'm not advocating that we should allow pictures of any bubba'd rifle, but in this case how can it hurt the integrity of the site? What's wrong with seeing a picture of a rifle that new owners should come to know as something that was done in the States? If the picture turns out to be a Classic Arm's chromed Mosin, just delete the picture? :idea:
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Post pics in sporter forum. Classic arms is known to have chromed mosins. There are also chromed rifles floating around that were straight bubba and I have seen polished ones too. :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

MarksmanTim wrote::attn: Even though everyone is jumping to conclusions, how do we know it is actually "nickel plated"? What if the bluing is all gone from the receiver, muzzle end, and mag? I have an M44 like this, that if it wasn't for the patina on mine it might look non-original (meaning if bubba shined up the bare metal) it could look like it was plated? He said the sight's are not plated; usually a heavily worn rifle will still have bluing on the sights even when it's gone most everywhere else. What if he has a balkan rifle or a Finn capture that saw heavy use and was not reblued?
What if....What if. You want us to call the guy a liar. He says it is nickle plated, then it's nickle plated. If it is all "polished up" like chrome or nickle, then it is altered either way.

MarksmanTim wrote:We will never know since we've all made assumptions that it's "bubba'd" so he's not allowed to post a picture of a rifle that may or may not be sporterized. This should be a place of learning. How will newer collectors learn what is original and what is bubba'd if we censor the "bad stuff?" I'm not advocating that we should allow pictures of any bubba'd rifle, but in this case how can it hurt the integrity of the site? What's wrong with seeing a picture of a rifle that new owners should come to know as something that was done in the States? If the picture turns out to be a Classic Arm's chromed Mosin, just delete the picture? :idea:
What are you saying then. Either you are advocating allowing altered military surplus firearms, or you aren't.

If he had posted photos of the firearm at the beginning, and it was altered, it would be removed or moved to the restoration forum if he wanted to pursue trying to do something with it. . If he says it is nickle plated, then he should not post it here. That is plain enough in the rules.

If you want to know what a Mosin should look like, there are plenty of website to look at. If you want to look at altered military surplus firearms, then go to Gunbroker or one of the other Boards that like to do that. But our rules start with "We do not advocate or encourage altering any military surplus firearms." and that includes allowing them to post photos of them here. If we allow some, we have to allow them all, and that won't happen here.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The question by the original poster was asked and answered (and I think perhaps a little rudely by some, especially to a new owner/member).

If you have problems with the rules of these forums, you are welcome to PM me.

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mustangwalker wrote:Well folks after just now checking the web I now know the type of guy I just purchased from a buddy of mine who is a rookie gun collector and its a Russian Mosin-Nagant with the star log on it. Now guys here is the big kicker....THE GUN NICKEL PLATED....Please let me know what I have and what is the value of this gun. The sites and bolt action part are not plated
Check your PM's
Theodore Roosevelt