My First Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lee-online

Re: My first Mosin

Post by Lee-online »

:welcome3: :USA Flag: :USA Flag:

Nice ex-dragoon.
Kollaa kestää
professor9

Post by professor9 »

I will say a welcome too, from Southwestern PA.
Watch out for those Mosins - they multiply....

Prof
1915 Westinghouse Finn, Fox Receiver, SA marked
1942 Sako M39
1953 Hungarian M44

Spirit with a vision is a dream, with a mission... RIP Neil Peart
conefree

Post by conefree »

Ok all, had some time to take some non-cellphone pics of my Mosin. Broke her down and found some interesting stuff on the underside of the barrel. Please analyze and let me know what you all think about the markings. Thanks!!

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/conefre ... t=2&page=1
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Cant really see the numbers on the tang but it looks like a tula receiver. What are the numbers? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

I see it as 916r Desdem so we're looking at a 1916 Tula receiver.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:ani-pop:

Told you to check the tang. :lol: 1916 Tula receiver :vcool: Only thing I can tell is an Izhevsk trigger. Everything else? Who knows but the stampings are numerous in these older receivers and the Russians have not been cooperative in defining these for us. The "00" on the shank means something but I can't remember - maybe an accuracy test.
conefree

Post by conefree »

Yeah it was pretty cool to find the extra marks. If that is a 1916 Tula mark, how does that mate up to the Izhevsk stampings on the barrel near the breach?
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

It doesn't match up. The Russians simply screwed an Izhevsk barrel on an older Tula receiver. If the old stuff is serviceable use it and they likely had many brand new receivers from previous years. This is not uncommon. But most of my ED's have matching receivers - a few don't and have older ones. You just never know until you tear the rifle apart and check. That is one of the things that is so intriguing about the MN's. Wait until you tear apart an M-39 or other Finn and find an antique receiver - Fun.... :biggrin: