My First Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
conefree

My First Mosin

Post by conefree »

Hi all,

New to the forums here, found you via a google search. I recently bought my first Mosin (a 1926 all matching Izhevsk hex) including matching bayonet and all the toys. I knew they were great, but I finally got a chance to take her out to shoot. Man that was fun!

Something about being kicked in the shoulder like that is awe-inspiring and demands respect.

About me:
US Navy submarine force veteran
Operation Enduring Freedom veteran
Been in nuclear operations pretty much my entire adult life
Been shooting since I was about 10, took a hiatus over the last 10 years or so, just got back into it last December
tjtM38

Re: My first Mosin

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome to the best firearms forum on the earth. You have found the right place to showcase your rifle. We love pictures. Your rifle is probably an ex-Dragoon. We want to see it. :thumbsup: :welcome2:
conefree

Post by conefree »

Here are some pictures of the Izhevsk. I am still fairly new to this, so I haven't been able to figure out what all the stampings mean. I am curious about the diamond and what looks to be a circled T on the receiver. Let me know if you all see anuthing of interest as well. Thanks!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, the Soviets have never been big about sharing much of anything and information is right up there at the top of the list. We just don't know what most of these small markings mean, and we are not likely to be enlightened anytime soon by the Russians. Inspection markings are the most likely explanation. Very nice first Mosin, 20's date ex dragoon, I always liked the older markings of this type better than the 30's ones. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: Thanks for the pix. Great ex-Dragoon.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Welcome and thanks for your service! Always nice to see a fellow PA guy here. What part of the state are you from? Nice ex-dragoon btw
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Welcome! I guess you are like all my other buddies who have been in the N-Subs you can't tell us where you have been right? We had one fellow who always answered if he told us where he had been he would have to kill us. I wasn't in to that then or now! Nice Refurb. As posted there are probably more markings on Mosins we don't know than ones we do know. Not likely to change either I am afraid. The older unrefurbed Mosins have a better range of knowledge on marks than the refurbs do it seems. The Finnish Mosins can really give you some kistory off their better known marks. Enjoy yourself and read and learn a bit while you enjoy shooting them! Bill :D
Kuntryboy816

Post by Kuntryboy816 »

First and foremost, thank you for your service! :USA Flag:

Secondly, welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well. That's a pretty sweet rifle you have there! :thumbsup:
"Hardwork spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
conefree

Post by conefree »

Sorry for the duplicate pics, signal isn't the greatest here and had to edit the post multiple times. Thanks for the warm welcome :)

What are the indications that she was a refurb? And yes, I totally agree, getting a pre-1929 hex with the cyrillic stamping was part of my search criteria. I ideally wanted a Tula but this one hit all my other wants.

As far as my sub service goes, yup we did quite a few things and have been lots of places that we can't talk about. Although one of the coolest things I have done is loading/launching a bunch of Tomahawks in response to 9/11. We were on our way home at the end of a 6 month deployment when 9/11 happened.

We were told to turn around and head back to the gulf and that we were being extended on deployment until somebody came to relieve us. We were put on communications blackout for a while (which wasn't unusual as we did spec ops, etc.) But this was more to prevent a morale hit to the crew if they found out they had lost family in 9/11, although not knowing was probably just as bad.

I am in SE PA, near Downingtown.
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Welcome to the forum and get ready to learn...a LOT!
Very nice first Mosin.

Also, thank you for your service!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The stock is a late war or post WW2 stock, and its finish is typical of post war refurbs.

Hard to tell but it looks like you may have a recycled receiver which is cool. There is usually a date under the rear tang of the receiver thats vusible when you remove the action from the stock. It could be a much earlier dated receiver.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:. Great looking Mosin :thumbsup: :Drool1: :vcool:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

First off thank you for your service I am x Army Got out in 68. My brother in law is a Navy Captain Pax River Maryland.
Welcome to the Mosin group, and very nice first Mosin. :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome :D :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:thumbsup: Very nice rifle! One question though, what's the date stamped on the receiver tang? I could be wrong but I swear I see an imperial eagle hiding under the soviet crest on the receiver. My '27 Izhevsk had one and the tang date was 1901! I could be wrong about the eagles though, my eyes are a bit tired after staring at lines of code all day at work..

[edit: apparently my eyes are getting old as racer already noted that above!]
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

First off, thank you for your service to our great country. Second, :welcome: to the best Mosin Nagant Forum on the Internet. Third, very nice ex-dragoon you've got there. :Drool1: What a way to kickoff your Mosin addiction! :thumbsup: Prepare for many more to follow. They are each very cool and unique. As most people have already said, the Russsians are not big on divulging much information about all of the different markings on their firearms. What relatively little we do know about them can be found here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

Welcome and great looking rifle
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Very nice Mosin, I have two Ex-Drgoons both 1927r..I love them.Try find yourself a Tuls 1926r now....Judi and her Mosins ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
ZKend

Post by ZKend »

Welcome to the forum. Im a PA'er as well. Reading Area for me, so we're not too far apart!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Welcome! Nice start. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Don't worry, your Tula will show up soon enough. Hey, why don't you use this as a catapult - Ex Dragoon by Armory by Year. :shock: Opps there are some of those guys in Finn clothing too :shock: Hmmm, I seem to recall that some of the 91/59's were also cut down Dragoons :o Welcome to the addiction :lol:

JYD covered the barrel stampings (wait till you see the underside of the barrel and receiver). I'd sure like to know what that "PM" means...

I have an ex Brother-In-Law that was in the sub service in the 70's. I could swear that he glowed in the dark :lol: Seriously, the nuclear subs back then scarred the crap out of him. :beek: Good job in the gulf and thanks - that from an Marine :D