My poor baby

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BIGChris454

My poor baby

Post by BIGChris454 »

Got into a fairly bad car accident after shooting the other day. The car I was in flipped 4-6 times from eyewitness accounts. The worst part was My Mosin was in the back seat and the stock got messed up pretty bad. I am so sad. It was a hand pick with brass caps and proof marks from the refitting in Russia. The rifle seem fine, just my beautiful furniture was damaged. I am going to attempt to repair it or find a pro to do it, but worst case I will go to LTC and get something from them. Its a sad day.
racerguy00

Re: My poor baby

Post by racerguy00 »

The rifles are tough, but not important in a case like thst. Glad you're ok!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Glad you weren't seriously injured. You can replace the rifle or the stock if the metal is in good shape. Post some pics and maybe we can help you. If the metal is ok, I have a stock for a M91/30 rifle that might just meet your needs.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That rifle could have caved in the top of your head, never leave heavy objects unsecured in a moving vehicle, in a case, in the trunk. I had a friend almost killed this way, the oil pan from a 1969 Buick 455 V8 peeled off half his scalp as his SUV tumbled . Get a replacement stock from Liberty tree, they get a secure transport case and make sure your new car has a trunk big enough for it. Were you as banged up as the rifle? How about the other guy? Death reached out a hand for you and you escaped, welcome to the club, don't bother playing the lotto, you pretty much just used up whatever luck you had, treasure every day, it's all gravy now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Only tumbled one race car in all those years of racing and even with all the proper safety equipment on it was not fun to do. Than of course I came to rest upside down and I only thought of fire and getting out of there. Even with regular underwear and woven nomex long underware, and a three layer nomex quilted suit fire was on my mind. It was a little Datsun 510 sedan and people still talk about how fast my 6'3" 220 pound frame was out of the car window and standing next to the car trying to figure out what happend. I beat the safety crews there and was standing next to it when they arrived. That is not my favorite memory of racing and I sure don't go back to it often! There it sat like a turtle on its shell but it did protect me like it was supposed to do and it actually lived to race a few more years after a big fixup and many checks of the roll cage. Glad you are apparently OK and hope you have many more years of being that way. Stocks have just been sold for a great price a couple of months ago so they should be easy to find many people bought them myself included. If you have a problem email me and maybe we can meet at a PA show or something. I got to quite a few. Bill :o
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Hate to be the one to say this BUT:..................rifles need to be in cases, rifle cases need to be secured.

Now; glad your ok :vsad: . Get a new stock if necessary, if not, yours has a new 'tale to tell'. Good luck. Case 'em and trunk 'em.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Thanks guys. Thankfully it landed on its wheels and my 6'2" 265 frame had to climb out a window half crushed by the wreck, I'm sure that was amusing. Just FYI it was in a case and the vehicle was a Chevy HHR, no trunk. I will post some pics as soon as I can. I am getting ready to move on Saturday so everything is packed away.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Is Mosin! Is tough! Is built like T-34 tank, Mosin laughs at little puny capitalist HHR! In Russia, car does not wreck Mosin, Mosin wrecks car!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Man if it got that banged up in a case, I can only imagine what you went thru! VERY glad your ok. I have put a couple on their lids as it were......NOT fun.

Hey 'bill' you trash that 510 at Lime Rock? Saw one get taken out in the old IMSA series there......nasty!
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Was in a rollover once, that filled my quota for my lifetime.. My good friend was moving cross country and we were going to make a road trip out of it, we were in a ranger 4x4 extended cab towing a uhaul.. Three cars were merging onto the highway, the kid in the middle swerved out right in front of us, my friend who was driving swerved hard left to avoid hitting him.. Got the truck straight, but the trailer had other thoughts in mind, and continued to come around pulling the back of the truck sideways, over we went.. Funny thing was, time really slowed down.. I remember thinking, the side of the truck will be road rashed but we can just flip in back over and keep going on our trip, mind you this is as we we sliding down the highway Still... Then the truck flipped onto its roof, and I thought "trip over", my hand fell out the broken window and got road rashed badly (still have scars, but full mobility).. I remember thinking very calmly," my hand is scraping on the ground I should pick it up".. We ended up sliding into a ditch at 25-30 mph on our roof.. The cd in the CD player was still playing.. We crawled out and first thing I say to my friend, is "great parking job, next time keep the shinny side up".. Happened 10 plus years ago, and I can still play it in my head like it was a video tape..

If you have been lucky enough to avoid such events, you can't imagine how it plays over and over for the rest of your life..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:shock: :shock: Glad you are ok :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

TopperT wrote:Hate to be the one to say this BUT:..................rifles need to be in cases, rifle cases need to be secured.

Now; glad your ok :vsad: . Get a new stock if necessary, if not, yours has a new 'tale to tell'. Good luck. Case 'em and trunk 'em.
AMEN; Nuf said
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Marcus wrote: In Russia, car does not wreck Mosin, Mosin wrecks car!

Very funny!
In all seriousness though, glad that you are ok.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have seen the video's of how the Russians drive over there, they don't use Mosins to wreck anything anymore, they just use their cars and trucks to wreck everything.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Just glad you are here to tell about it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!