C&R book serial number - which one?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cjsimoh

C&R book serial number - which one?

Post by cjsimoh »

When you record a firearm in a C&R bound book, and it has an importer's serial number on it, do you enter the importer's serial number or the original firearm's serial number or both?
MarksmanTim

Re: C&R book serial number - which one?

Post by MarksmanTim »

Officially you need to use the import number. I have a box for "notes" and that is where I record the original number and other unique identifying features of the rifle.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Thanks Tim! There's not a lot of room in the bound book, but I do keep a data sheet on each of my firearms that lists all of the particulars.

Also, do you just need to put the FFL you bought it from name and address, or should you also include their FFL license number? I suppose both would be OK. I bought from Century, and they didn't list their FFL # on anything.
Last edited by cjsimoh on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Importers serial, unless it has none. If it is a finn and it has no serial (there are some that dont) then I use the S number. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Much needed information... Thanks...
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

Might be a dumb question, but is it ok to keep it in an Excel spreadsheet instead of a book? I meant to transcribe all of it but haven't yet.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

rustytruck wrote:Might be a dumb question, but is it ok to keep it in an Excel spreadsheet instead of a book? I meant to transcribe all of it but haven't yet.
I thought about doing a spreadsheet too, but there are inexpensive bound books to be had and since I wasn't certain that using Excel or a database program was OK, I got a book and am going with paper and a pen.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

KEEP IT IN A BOOK. If you want to spread sheet it then you can do that also. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

On all of mine I recorded the fiream serial number, not the importers number. Oops
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Saw this in the BATF website:

A “bound book” is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages which must be maintained on the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations, and the pages must be numbered consecutively.
[27 CFR 478.121 and 478.125]

And this:

Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2008-2 licensees may use computerized records in lieu of the “bound book” provided that all conditions of the ruling are met. However, The Director of Industry Operations or other designated ATF official must approve a request for a recordkeeping variance before a licensee may use computerized records that do not meet all of the conditions set forth under ATF Ruling 2008-2 .
[27 CFR 478.22, 478 478.122, 478.123, 478.125(e), 478.125(h)]

Sounds like you should have a book :-)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just give them the minimum info they require. Anything else is better kept to yourself. :thumbsup:
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

I have my C&R coming soon. Where would be the best place to get a bound book? Amazon?

Sorry, everybody starts somewhere.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Chrome Moly Vampire wrote:I have my C&R coming soon. Where would be the best place to get a bound book? Amazon?

Sorry, everybody starts somewhere.
Elby Sight Tools makes a very nice book. I am in the process of filling one now. :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I like that elby book. Same as the papers I was using and it is cheap cheap cheap. Just the basic info and that's it. I recommend the elby book also. :D
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

cjsimoh wrote:Thanks Tim! There's not a lot of room in the bound book, but I do keep a data sheet on each of my firearms that lists all of the particulars.

Also, do you just need to put the FFL you bought it from name and address, or should you also include their FFL license number? I suppose both would be OK. I bought from Century, and they didn't list their FFL # on anything.
Go back to Century and request their FFL # :attn: As it's a must have document for transactions. :2cents:

I keep 2 records and have for years prior to FFL C&R one for private purchases/FFL 1 and C&R.

The 1st is for my purchasing records which is in a MS Word document aka how much I paid, as well as condition of the piece, etc and from whom purchased from or sold to/traded to.

Why duplicate record keeping because as the years go by memory is so good as it used to be but written records never fail if backed up. :grumpy:
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I make mine in excel and then print the sheets and put them in a notebook with those clear page holders. Some places send their FFL, some don't. When they don't, name and address is sufficient.