Bayonet on a Mossberg 500

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Nagant-Lover

Bayonet on a Mossberg 500

Post by Nagant-Lover »

Now, I know what your think. "Just go buy a 590 you yut!"
But I'm a bit strapped on cash right now and the next gun I'm going to get is going to be another Mosin Nagant 91/30. So I want a bayonet on my HD shotgun just incase it jams or runs out of shells or the intruder just gets to close to me. So I was looking for a way to attach one to the Mossberg 500 and the ways I found were to had a gun smith weld one on which is probably expensive, get the barrel and mag tube from a 590 and use that which is also expensive. Then I was browsing amazon and saw picatiny mounted light clamps and thought "Hey I could use those!"

So what do you guys think could a flashlight clamp hold a bayonet in place well if I used two of them?

Here are the clamps I'm looking at:
And this is the bayonet I'm going to use:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bayonet on a Mossberg 500

Post by millman »

Seriously?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a military 590 Mossberg that mounts a bayonet, other than military shotguns I don't think I have ever seen a shotgun with a bayonet on it
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

My 500 Special Purpose has a bayonet mount on it that accepts a M16 bayonet.

Good for close quarters, butt stroke followed by slash and jab.

Or at least that's the way they used to teach in :devil2: :devil2:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, the 590 takes the M16 bayonet also, of very limited use, I would rather just take the heavy gun, assuming I used up all the shells, and beat someone to death with it. Forget about the bayonet and invest in something like a speedfeed stock so you can carry extra rounds close to hand. Maybe a nice heavy leather bandoleer for shells as well.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

I like bayonets, and have a nice little collection but I don't envision the need for one on a shotgun. You basically take a short, maneuverable firearm and extend it another 6" or so for no good reason. Yeah, it's a cool feature, but not one you'd likely need, even in combat. I served in Iraq in 2008 and while I never was actually involved in a firefight, I don't remember seeing a single bayonet the whole time I was in theater. Most of us carried an M4 as a primary, an M9 as a backup and a small lockback knife.

I definitely think a shotgun with bayonet is cool and I'd love to have one but that's just my tacticool side talking! :)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If you miss the intruder with 5 or 6 shots from a shotgun a bayonet won't help much.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a holdover from the first trench shotguns used during the great war. The idea was you ram the enemy with the 16" bayonet on the Winchester '97, or Model 12 while charging across no mans land, then pull the trigger to get the body unstuck from the blade. Must have made some nice mess.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well I just found this post. Messy is right. I could see this being used on the next episode of the Walking Dead.
A J

Post by A J »

I gave this some more thought and if I could suddenly made a bayonet lug appear on my 18" riot barrel, I would without hesitation.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why? Do you actually want to be that close to something you ram a knife into? You better hope the bloods not infected, because you will be wearing it. The only way to use a bayonet mounted on a gun is straight at it and that puts you in the line of arterial spray, not much use as a slashing tool when on the gun, better to keep the knife in your hand, more options for it's use. I have a bayonet lug on my Moss 590, useless as tits on a bull
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Just carry more ammo. Then you won't have to worry about running out :biggrin: . Also practice. At the distances in my house I know I can make solid hits if there was ever an intruder present.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Try patterning an 18- 20" barrel. It's about 18" at 7 yards. Kinda hard to miss. So, 1 in the chamber, 4 in the tube (2 3/4", #4), you have a lot of firepower. I wouldn't want anyone in bayonet range.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
A J

Post by A J »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Why? Do you actually want to be that close to something you ram a knife into? You better hope the bloods not infected, because you will be wearing it. The only way to use a bayonet mounted on a gun is straight at it and that puts you in the line of arterial spray, not much use as a slashing tool when on the gun, better to keep the knife in your hand, more options for it's use. I have a bayonet lug on my Moss 590, useless as tits on a bull
Is this the same guy who owns a big box of bayonets and a shotgun with a bayonet lug? Please.

Yeah, I think a bayonet lug on a HD shotgun is a great idea as it offers the user additional options. If I'm unlucky enough to be involved in a hand to hand fight, the last thing I'm going to worry about is getting infected with a bloodborne pathogen. Can you really make this argument with a straight face? You've got to be kidding. Besides, you actually own a shotgun with a bayonet lug. I do not.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A J wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Why? Do you actually want to be that close to something you ram a knife into? You better hope the bloods not infected, because you will be wearing it. The only way to use a bayonet mounted on a gun is straight at it and that puts you in the line of arterial spray, not much use as a slashing tool when on the gun, better to keep the knife in your hand, more options for it's use. I have a bayonet lug on my Moss 590, useless as tits on a bull
Is this the same guy who owns a big box of bayonets and a shotgun with a bayonet lug? Please.

Yeah, I think a bayonet lug on a HD shotgun is a great idea as it offers the user additional options. If I'm unlucky enough to be involved in a hand to hand fight, the last thing I'm going to worry about is getting infected with a bloodborne pathogen. Can you really make this argument with a straight face? You've got to be kidding. Besides, you actually own a shotgun with a bayonet lug. I do not.
Yes, this would be the guy with the big box of bayonets, and several shotguns with bayonet mounts, Junk Yard Dog board owner.
Yes I do have a moss 590 military, had it for over 20 years, and never once has it had a bayonet mounted on it, I don't care much for that mall ninja " tacticool" wannabe shit. I am not a soldier in the trenches of WW1 France, I use a shotgun for home defence and pest control like any other middle aged American. I have a bayonet lug on my 1897 Winchester Trench gun also, and you will not see a bayonet on that one either, the bayonet mount/ heat shield spends it's time in the closet because I don't want it getting in the way if I have to use that gun in a hurry. As for kidding, I never kid when it comes to my personal weapons. The shotgun itself is the best backup weapon even when empty, it is a heavy, nasty son of a bitch when slammed into someones face, or gut, learn how to fight with it and don't worry about waving it around like a spear.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

You and I are a lot alike. The shotgun is my "go to" weapon for just about anything. I love the simplicity, reliability and power of a shotgun. Safety is another big concern since a rifle bullet travels a LONG way and even though I live out in the country, I still have neighbors. I own a few bayonets (about a dozen) and like them mostly for their historical significance. Are they practical in today's HD situation? I'm not sure. Again, I chose NOT to carry one in Iraq as did just about everybody else there, so your point of view is probably consistent with the vast majority of combat vets. For HD purposes, I'd probably never go into a fight with a bayonet affixed to a shotgun as it would defeat the purpose of the short barrel. It would, however, be nice to have that option of a a bayonet on my ammo belt that I could attach if I needed.

One last point... and be honest. You say you've NEVER put that bayonet on that beautiful 1897 WInchester Trench gun? Man, if that were mine, I'd have it displayed over the fireplace with bayonet attached! :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, never put it on, the shotgun was a police weapon during the 40's and 50's, they put a small bugger on the bayonet mounting slot, I would have to file it to fit the bayonet on without force. They probably loosened someone's teeth with it, part of the weapons history so I left it alone, I took the entire assembly off anyway , it hooks too easily on curtains, bedcovers, my robe, or bushes and vines outside.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

Yeah, good point. The last thing you'd want to do is try to jury-rig that old gun. Now that you mention it, I wouldn't want something on the end of a completely clean HD shotgun barrel that could snag anything. Even the fairly unobtrusive lug on the end of an M4 could become a nuisance very quickly. Maybe I don't want a bayonet mount now! :)

Back in the 60's the first generation M16 flash hider was modified to its current design because the little points kept collecting leaves, vines and brush while sneaking through the jungle. Must have been really frustrating.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I had that flash hider on a Colt I owned in the 90's, an old SP1, pain in the ass even when not out in the bush. I unloded that rifle for serious cash during the Clinton era gun ban.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

No, you don't want that kind of flash hider. Walking through the woods with one of those would be like a muppet walking through a velcro factory! :)

As for buying and selling guns, I've mostly purchased or traded. The only two times I've sold guns I took a haircut by selling to Gander Mountain years ago. Good store, but I was in too big of a rush. Never again. My younger brother is dialed in to all kinds of local gun collectors and gun show guys. Next time I want to sell a gun, I'll just hand it over to him and let him do the dirty work - along with a healthy commission.

On the other hand, I have done pretty well buying and selling drums and cymbals. As a long-time drummer, I'm pretty good at picking out the good stuff though I do buy a turd every once in a while. Like guns, some of the best deals are actually the older, gently used and out-of-favor equipment. You guys probably don't care about drum stuff, but recently picked up an old 70's era cymbal for a great price that's just perfect. It seems to make old Stones and Hendrix songs just come alive. It's the same feeling I get firing or handling an old Mosin. It's part of history and means more than some shiny new rifle off the shelf.