Limited Mosin PU Snipers for $450

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
BenedictGomez

Limited Mosin PU Snipers for $450

Post by BenedictGomez »

I'm not one to highlight sales, but I thought this deal going on at Classic Firearms is too good not to mention on a Mosin-lover website.

It is Classic, and people have had some good and some bad experiences with them and their customer service (yours truly included)......also, NO RETURNS ALLOWED and these rifles HAVE BEEN RETURNED......so Caveat Emptor clearly applies here.

That said, hell, just for the original scope alone you could get $300 for, so I personally dont see much of a risk.

We have been officially out of these for a while but we are doing some cleaning to get ready for fall and decided now is as good a time as any to sell the ones we have in our return bin.
Yes these rifles as portrayed here have all been returned for one reason or another.

Reasons range from " My Wife wouldn't let me have it", to
" It has a little rust on it somewhere" , to "
Stock and / or Bore do not look as good as I expected....

In most cases what it comes down to is the customer that originally bought it was super picky and extremely hard to please so it went in the return bin. Basically these look the same as all the other ones we sold....

All are mechanically sound and functional and come with their original scope.

We are selling these at a close-out price, AS-IS, with no returns allowed. As I said however, they will all me mechanically sound and complete with the scope that originally came on them

Due to the discount being offered and the limited # of these rifles being available you must call in to order... 6 Available....Closeout Price.........449.99 Call 704-684-0650 to Order
notabiker

Re: Limited Mosin PU Snipers for $450

Post by notabiker »

that is a good deal to me.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Those went quick. :cry: Thanks for the heads up though. :thumbsup:
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Those went quick. :cry: Thanks for the heads up though. :thumbsup:
Did you call to order and they were sold out? It still appears on their homepage.
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

dolk wrote:Stay tuned.

There seems to be a large "batch" of PU snipers out there looking for a dealers to sell them. Not sure where they came from, but they are not marked with Molot that I can see. If these are a "part" of that batch, then there are a lot more to come.
CF claims the 6 they dug up this morning were customer returns from the last batch they sold late last year/early this year. Frankly, I dont believe for one second these were returned for ridiculously minor imperfections by unreasonable customers or people's "wife wouldnt let them keep it" as they say. Given they're returns, I'm expecting the worst, maybe sewer bore, laminated stock (I dont want a post-WWII sniper), frankenstein's Mosin of mismatching, or some other malady. But at $450, even if I get something poor I dont think I could lose money if I have to resell it because I dont like it.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Real or not; that is the Question. :?: :?: :?: :?:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Keep 'em, give me a good ol' regular issue 91/30, I can use the iron sights on it a damn sight better than I can that commie scope setup, and no " is it real" bullshit to deal with.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Keep 'em, give me a good ol' regular issue 91/30, I can use the iron sights on it a damn sight better than I can that commie scope setup, and no " is it real" bullshit to deal with.
+1 I agree completely! Bill :wink:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

.................or one of the many M39's.................... :chuckles: I shot a 200 yard shoot against all sorts of scoped rifles using (just for FUN) my trusty 1941 SAKO and while I didn't win (or come close) I did beat many scoped rifles..........just goes to show ya :pointup: .
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

So here's the result of the "minor gamble" I took on a Classic Firearms "customer return" (one of 6) PU sniper for the bargain basement price of $450.

As I expected, I didn't get anything unique or special. It's Izhevsk 1943, scope appears to be Yoshkar-Ola, early 1944 perhaps? Receiver, Bolt, Butt plate match, mag is force-matched with a lineout. All parts appear to be Izhevsk, well, except I'm somewhat perplexed by a very tiny hammer on a correctly matching buttplate. The furniture has pressed escutcheons, so I guess the stock is either late WWII or post war refurb. The bolt moves back and forth like absolute butter, up down is a bit sticky (possibly grease still in there maybe?). Bore seems okay, and I have to say, the trigger is a very light and very nice pull. I've had no experience with Mosin snipers, but I can say this trigger is substantially better than regular Mosins IMO. The gun was very clean, so I think perhaps the prior buyer (or Classic) cleaned it up.

What's interesting, is Classic (or the customer) labeled on the box the reason(s) for returning the firearm; in this instance:
1) Cracked Stock
2) Scope Mount not aligned

Customer issue #1
- For the life of me, I cannot see evidence of any "crack" or "cracks" on the stock. Just some normal scratches and a light chip or two, etc... Frankly, for Mosin-Nagant world, this stock seems pretty nice IMHO.

Customer issue #2- The scope problem. While the reticle is well-centered, when you obtain a sight picture the horizontal is not perfectly center, but listing south slightly (pictured). I dont believe it is a function of the "scope mount" as the complaint written on the box states. Anyway, apparently this is a somewhat easy fix, but the question is, should I? Reading up on this issue, some people seem to think the Russians intentionally did this crooked sight picture for THIS gun, and it's better to very slightly tilt the gun for long-range shooting. BUT, others seem to think since it's easy to loosen the scope screws and make it perfectly horizontal, you should do so. My assumption is that at 100 yards it wont make a dang bit of difference, but that at long ranges perhaps it will? Anyone here have experience with this?

Please excuse the horrible pictures from my smartphone, it's the best I could do. All-in-all, even with the possible/probably scope annoyance, I think my gamble did okay for $450. We'll see how she does on the range I guess. If the resident sniper experts have anything to add, correct, educate on, or chime in on, please feel free to comment as I love to learn about this stuff.

CONTENTS OF BOX

RECEIVER

BOLT

MAG PLATE FORCE MATCH

BUTT PLATE (Tula hammer puzzles me a bit)

BORE

SCOPE ID

SCOPE PROFILE

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A RETICLE PROBLEM (though not quite as bad as that image suggests)
Last edited by BenedictGomez on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Try her out and then see if it needs fixing. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

i like it thought about ordering one the 6 also but i had already ordered a cz70 from aim earlier last week, if it was mine i think it adjust the scope
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Looks good for that price for sure. The butt plate is an early Tula one restamped during refurb. Let us know how she shoots!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

racerguy00 wrote:Looks good for that price for sure. The butt plate is an early Tula one restamped during refurb.

So they either had a blank pre-1928 Tula butt plate laying around, or they took the time to sand it down and restamp it rather than just lining it out?

I've probably just never paid close enough attention before. I've seen plenty of guns with Izhevsk/Tula lineout force matches before, but I just dont recall seeing matching original numbers with both Tula and Izhevsk parts, which is why I was so confused.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It's hard to tell on my phone if the fonts on the buttplate and barrel serials are an exact match. If they arent, the numbers were forced matched during refurb.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
ckcadavona

Post by ckcadavona »

I'm happy with my purchase also. Thankfully, I did not find anything that would justify a return. Excellent mirror bore, overall very good condition, clear optic
There's a few stock markings (3rd and 4th pics) that I haven't seen on my past Mosins.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Molot or sub-contractor marked? Marks under the wood? Looks like a replacement stock and that is the reason for the misfitted butt plate to me. Other parts where they are fitted into the stock look slightly off too. I am going to bet they put that action in another stock from maybe a return for another reason. Sometimes when this is done feed problems result and other times nothing is wrong I hope nothing is wrong for you! For the money I would say if you wanted a Molot sniper you did well. I do not but then for that price I would have looked at it at least and if you don't like it you can easily get your money out of it. I also would loosen the scope and make the reticle post truly vertical, they need to be that way trust me. Unless something is really wrong with the scope! Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Post photos of the buttstock. Show any markings that might be on the right side, and the toe of the stock - is it solid or does it have the dovetailed in toe piece?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Marcus wrote:Post photos of the buttstock. Show any markings that might be on the right side, and the toe of the stock - is it solid or does it have the dovetailed in toe piece?
Pull the butt plate off and you will know for sure. Bill :o
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

zeebill wrote:Molot or sub-contractor marked? Marks under the wood? Looks like a replacement stock and that is the reason for the misfitted butt plate to me. Other parts where they are fitted into the stock look slightly off too. I am going to bet they put that action in another stock from maybe a return for another reason. Sometimes when this is done feed problems result and other times nothing is wrong I hope nothing is wrong for you! For the money I would say if you wanted a Molot sniper you did well. I do not but then for that price I would have looked at it at least and if you don't like it you can easily get your money out of it.
Hmmm...... Well, that could explain why 1 of the 2 customer return reasons was "cracked stock" and this stock clearly isnt cracked. But were that so, it would mean that Classic Firearms did that work before shipping it out, and they claim these rifles were exactly as they were from Russia. That would be pretty disingenuous on their part (then again, probably impossible to prove!), but I'm not ready to yet take that leap that Classic replaced the stock, especially given I've seen quite a few Mosins where the furniture doesnt fit-like-a-glove.
zeebill wrote: I also would loosen the scope and make the reticle post truly vertical, they need to be that way trust me. Unless something is really wrong with the scope! Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Nothing is wrong with the scope at all, the picture is clear as the day it was issued - absolutely no yellowing, dirt, or debris. Frankly that was my biggest worry when ordering.

The reason I havent straightened it yet is I'm trying to investigate the rumor I've heard that if you have a slightly tilted scope, it's because Vladimir at the arsenal thought it grouped best that way. If it turns out that's complete nonsense, I'm going to attempt to true-up the reticle just as you said. It's VERY slightly off (perhaps <10 degrees), but clearly noticeable.