New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hoshow

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by hoshow »

cobber2 wrote:First post. Never thought I would enjoy a bolt-action military rifle after being into ARs for years, but the Mosin has a lot of character.

Picked up two Tulas, a '29 hex and a '38 round receiver. Hope to get them into shape for shooting. Well, one at least, the '38 may just stay in the safe (matching numbers, only minor dings on the stock).

Wish I had gotten into this when they were still available for sub $100 prices. :cry:
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: :pointup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
joeb

Post by joeb »

I just bought my first Mosin about 1 week ago (1931 Tula 91/30 hex) . This forum looks like wealth of info!!
Kuntryboy816

Post by Kuntryboy816 »

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm in the process of acclimating myself to this forum and also doing some research on the markings on my 91/30. I've gone through 7.62x54r.net and to say the least it's a little confusing. I'm just trying to see if I have a rare issue rifle or not so I can justify to the wifey for buying another. :shifty:
"Hardwork spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cobber2 wrote:First post. Never thought I would enjoy a bolt-action military rifle after being into ARs for years, but the Mosin has a lot of character.

Picked up two Tulas, a '29 hex and a '38 round receiver. Hope to get them into shape for shooting. Well, one at least, the '38 may just stay in the safe (matching numbers, only minor dings on the stock).

Wish I had gotten into this when they were still available for sub $100 prices. :cry:
Welcome to the board, I know how you feel, I wish I had bought more Finn Mosins when they were still $45 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm in the process of acclimating myself to this forum and also doing some research on the markings on my 91/30. I've gone through 7.62x54r.net and to say the least it's a little confusing. I'm just trying to see if I have a rare issue rifle or not so I can justify to the wifey for buying another. :shifty:
No need to justify, " Just Because" is reason enough :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Wankel

Post by Wankel »

Lee-online wrote: If you head up across the boarder into PA you will find a Mosin of some variant in most gun shops and with fall approaching, gun shows will soon be in full swing and it is a guarantee there will be plenty there. Just remember PA is a free state and MD forbids you from buying most of the fun stuff you see here.
I live only about six miles from the MD/PA border and will definitely keep that in mind! Maryland requires me to wait 30 days between the purchase of one firearm and then another. I just picked up a new 1911 from my FFL last week and as of Oct. 1, lots of hoops go up that one has to jump through if you want to buy something that holds more than 10 rounds but right now, I have all that I want EXCEPT my first Mosin.
Lee-online wrote: Wankel, as in the rotary engine?
Yep. I have always found it to be an eccentric name so being pretty eccentric myself, it fits!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I just sold a carburetor for one of the rotary engines on Ebay for good money :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Nagant-Lover

Post by Nagant-Lover »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Nagant-Lover wrote:Hi, I got my first Mosin Nagant about a month ago and absolutely love.
Having some problems with my stock and I found this site while I was trying to find a solution.
I'm very happy to have found a collectors forum for this rifle.
Have you found a solution yet ?
Yup, I've been applying lemon oil to it. It's been working good except I accidentally took some paint the Russian refurbers put onto the buttpad with the oil, luckily the blue on the buttpad is still in good condition. I bought this gun out of curiosity when I saw it for 125$ at my local gun store, but I fell in love with it after I first took it to the range. This $125 purchase is going to lead to a lot more Nagant purchases.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The paint is just cheap ( the commies loved cheap) commie blue fix, it tends to come off with just regular handling.
Theodore Roosevelt
firstnet911

Post by firstnet911 »

Craig from Milwaukee here. Have been stalking the boards for the last year and needed to join to see the pictures of the new hats :)

6 mosins currently in the safe and they are, by far, the most fun to shoot.

Thanks for all the information.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

firstnet911 wrote:Craig from Milwaukee here. Have been stalking the boards for the last year and needed to join to see the pictures of the new hats :)

6 mosins currently in the safe and they are, by far, the most fun to shoot.

Thanks for all the information.
Welcome to the board, the hats are limited issue and tend to sell out fast so if you want one PM Longcolt44 now :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
kaub13

Post by kaub13 »

Kaub13
Hello I'm here looking forward to it being a first time owner. :thumbsup:
kaub13

Post by kaub13 »

Back for a second post. Wish I could upload photos from my EVO
Lmangas

Post by Lmangas »

Hi everybody! The names Logan and I'm new here =) I just picked up my very first Mosin yesterday at our states Gun/Knife show, and i'm absolutely in love with it. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet =[ but that'll change once I find some decent ammo lol.

BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

kaub13 wrote:Back for a second post. Wish I could upload photos from my EVO
Welcome. I have uploaded photos from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
ham

Post by ham »

Hello all. Just joined the forum. Ordered a M91/30 online and hope to have it by next weekend. Figured it would go well with the AK and SKS.
Ham____
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

kaub13 wrote:Back for a second post. Wish I could upload photos from my EVO
Welcome to the board, photos need to be downsized to 640x480 before they will load, or link from photobucket.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lmangas wrote:Hi everybody! The names Logan and I'm new here =) I just picked up my very first Mosin yesterday at our states Gun/Knife show, and i'm absolutely in love with it. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet =[ but that'll change once I find some decent ammo lol.

Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ham wrote:Hello all. Just joined the forum. Ordered a M91/30 online and hope to have it by next weekend. Figured it would go well with the AK and SKS.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
kc9aop

Post by kc9aop »

Hello. I posted on another thread before I found this one. I've just started collecting mil surp rifles and of course started with the Mosin. Found 3 on an auction for $119 each so I snapped them up!

First experience with cosmoline. Not so bad but these guns were caked. Got the head space gage and all is well.

I'm very interested in bolt action rifles. Don't have anything at all against the semi-auto. I'm just starting with bolt action. There are so many different rifles out there I can't imagine I'll ever run out of interesting guns to research and watch for.

I shoot the guns I buy. Nothing for a glass case (not yet anyway).

You will see a lot of me on this board!

Jim