Range time!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Dig Bick

Range time!

Post by Dig Bick »

I finally got to take my MN 91/30 to the range and needless to say I am excited to save up to get another one! The only problem I had was often times when i'd go to chamber a round, the bolt wouldn't go back into the locked position. The bolt would closed, but it couldn't lock down. The only thing I could think of is maybe extra cosmoline that I couldn't clean out came up and started to gunk up with any excess powder and such. Any one else have this problem?
As far as firing goes, the kick was not bad at all and my shoulder didn't/doesn't hurt. Each round fired after I sometimes had to toy with the bolt to get it to close. Other than that, it's perfect and I can't wait to take it out again today after work! I'm hooked :Drool1:
TopperT

Re: Range time!

Post by TopperT »

You "may" have accumulated-hardened cosmoline in the chamber. Check it out and see if there is some. I use long wooden stick "Q-Tips" (get them from $ Stores, gals use them for makeup). Soak the tip is solvent anc CAREFULLY dig around in the receiver area at the throat of the chamber. Clean all that old crap out and the bolt may be smoother. Just one of many issues that could be a problem.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Dig Bick

Post by Dig Bick »

TopperT wrote:You "may" have accumulated-hardened cosmoline in the chamber. Check it out and see if there is some. I use long wooden stick "Q-Tips" (get them from $ Stores, gals use them for makeup). Soak the tip is solvent anc CAREFULLY dig around in the receiver area at the throat of the chamber. Clean all that old crap out and the bolt may be smoother. Just one of many issues that could be a problem.
Thank you! That was the case I believe! I'm taking it back to the range in a couple hours to figure out if that was the case. When I cleaned it last night I took off the bolt and used Q-tips to clean out the receiver. I'll post back after I've fired it to let you know whether that was the problem or not! :D thanks!
Dig Bick

Post by Dig Bick »

I said "that was the case" too frequently... whoops