Submission for the showcase, Finnish M28/76

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Greasemonkey

Submission for the showcase, Finnish M28/76

Post by Greasemonkey »

The M28/76 rifle was developed in the 70's and is an update to the Finnish M28/57 and M28/66 target rifles. It's based off the M28 and M28/30 rifles, one of the Finn's highly accurate models. While not a true battle rifle, these were used by the Finnish Defense Forces for target shooting, qualification, competition and could pull double duty as a sniper weapon if needed. Some that were set up for use as a sniper or scope use had the mount installed you see mounted on the receiver of this rifle. Scopes for these are few and are a very rare in the states. Even with all the modern advances made to it, at it's heart beats a 1901 Izhevsk hex receiver and the familiar 5rd box magazine. These were reportedly hand built and fitted, the biathlon-style stock is custom bedded to the particular action and the bore free floated. The stock has adjustable sling rails along the bottom and left side to suit the individual shooter.

The bolt and cocking knob were highly modified to clear the rear diopter sight, also found is a double disc rear sight setup. The original Sako made rear sight is present, between the close tolerance between the bolt/rear peep sight and the scope mount makes it pretty much unusable. The front sight has no blade, but the sight ears were modified to use an aperture style sight, the aperture being changeable by unscrewing the front section. The trigger set-up on this particular rifle is the same as the M-27, one of the finest made of the Mosin triggers. This model would be about as close to a modern Mosin as you could get, unless you could get the next version, the highly accurate TAK-85. And, even that rifle is still based off the standard Mosin receiver.

Again, even though it's not a weapon of war, and never saw front line use, it goes to show the Mosin heritage/design and evolution is still alive and well in military use in Finland, even though it's over 120 years old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Brian the Brit

Re: Submission for the showcse, Finnish M28/76

Post by Brian the Brit »

I Like it :thumbsup:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Great rifle and presentation. Heck yeah, got my vote! I'd love some trigger time on one of these.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Yes.. :thumbsup:
Very interesting and different,but great to see the same receiver still being used after all these years.Tells me something..
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

And the Mosin lives on, very nice rifle! :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Very Nice....YES! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: got my vote.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Very nice target rifle! Bill
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yup putt 'er In there :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

I've seen a couple of these through the years and held one or two, but never got to see one underneath. Interesting bedding/shim around the barrel lug. Absolutely a "yes" vote from me. Nice presentation.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

very cool grease i like it :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

:thumbsup: I'm kinda relieved, didn't know how well it would go over. :D Most would see it just as a government bubba type rifle, which technically, I guess it is. :beek: I just wanted to show that under all the fancy goodies, it's still a soldier and a Mosin at heart. :wink:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Greasemonkey wrote::thumbsup: I'm kinda relieved, didn't know how well it would go over. :D Most would see it just as a government bubba type rifle, which technically, I guess it is. :beek: I just wanted to show that under all the fancy goodies, it's still a soldier and a Mosin at heart. :wink:
Designated by the Finnish Govt... Has my Vote too. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Submission for the showcase, Finnish M28/76

Post by Rongo »

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"