New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kuntryboy816

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Kuntryboy816 »

Hi y'all. Wanted to stop in an introduce myself. Name's Jeremiah. I'm very new to owning my Mosin Nagant and I hope I can find all the answers to my questions here. With 2 young sons, it's hard to find any free time for researching hobbies.

Growing up in VA, I was always around firearms. It seems like we were always out in the mountains and foothills and dad always had a rifle in tow. I fondly recall a .303 Enfield that my dad once owned that he loved to shoot. Unfortunately he sold it when my brothers and I were still young. Everyone has regrets and I believe my dad still kicks himself to this day for not holding on to it.

I just bought my first 91/30 back in December 2012. This is my first Milsurp rifle and I'm absolutely hooked. I've always loved anything related to firearms, military, history, etc. but had never considered acquiring any milsurp firearms until recently. The 91/30 is my first in a (hopefully) expanding collection. I've only shot about 50 rounds through it but I've disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly about half a dozen times. For some reason I just can't get over holding a piece of history and wondering what its story is. I'm hoping to find some of those answers here and meeting others who share my growing interest.
"Hardwork spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Welcome to the forum Jeremiah :thumbsup:. You will love your Mosin and find it calling for many brethren :lol:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Hi y'all. Wanted to stop in an introduce myself. Name's Jeremiah. I'm very new to owning my Mosin Nagant and I hope I can find all the answers to my questions here. With 2 young sons, it's hard to find any free time for researching hobbies.

Growing up in VA, I was always around firearms. It seems like we were always out in the mountains and foothills and dad always had a rifle in tow. I fondly recall a .303 Enfield that my dad once owned that he loved to shoot. Unfortunately he sold it when my brothers and I were still young. Everyone has regrets and I believe my dad still kicks himself to this day for not holding on to it.

I just bought my first 91/30 back in December 2012. This is my first Milsurp rifle and I'm absolutely hooked. I've always loved anything related to firearms, military, history, etc. but had never considered acquiring any milsurp firearms until recently. The 91/30 is my first in a (hopefully) expanding collection. I've only shot about 50 rounds through it but I've disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly about half a dozen times. For some reason I just can't get over holding a piece of history and wondering what its story is. I'm hoping to find some of those answers here and meeting others who share my growing interest.
You in the right place Jeremiah, we all love the history of these weapons, welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Warf51

Post by Warf51 »

Retired LEO, Bowhunter (Trad Bows), NRA, GOA, reloader,1911 Pro, 1993 CM, NRA Distinguished,Muzzleloader shooter, Bored with all the High Tech stuff. I have built a 25-06 or two,,(several) on 98's and handled thousands of 1911's at a major Custom shop in Arkansas. I love my Country but Not the current status! I took the Oath and intend on keeping it,,,...>>>>>>>>>---------------------------------------------------> :bwink:
If you got them by the Balls their Hearts and Minds will follow! The Duke
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Bluedeath

Post by Bluedeath »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Bluedeath wrote:Greetings from a Newbie. I am a hopelessly addicted collector and have been for years. I previously owned an Izhevsk 91/30 and a Tula M44 and was totally content with those two examples. My local gun shop showed me a mint Polish M44 which I purchased and then I became hooked on trying to collect the rest of the Mosin carbine family. Since then I purchased a 91/38, an M38 (Izhevsk) and a Chinese T53 (which kept me busy for hours cleaning rust and restoring the stock). As soon as I get home from a long road trip, I plan on posting pics of the receiver markings of each carbine. I've already learned a ton reading this forum and appreciate all of the expert postings. Now looking for a 91/59.
Welcome to the board, sounds like a great collection on the way, good luck with the 91/59 search :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Found the 91/59 but hungry for more. What else (besides Finnish carbines) is out there in a MN carbine?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

M1907 carbine :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cpriest10

Post by Cpriest10 »

Recently been looking for something fun and cheap to shoot with my brothers. I finally decided on the mosin. In the last two or three weeks I picked up two m91/30s one for $90 with 50 rounds of ammo and the other for for $80 with a hundred rounds(missing the cleaning rod). Finally picked up an m44 for $120 with about 50 rounds of ammo. Think they're pretty decent deals. None are collectible grade in my opinion but they all seem to be great shooters!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cpriest10 wrote:Recently been looking for something fun and cheap to shoot with my brothers. I finally decided on the mosin. In the last two or three weeks I picked up two m91/30s one for $90 with 50 rounds of ammo and the other for for $80 with a hundred rounds(missing the cleaning rod). Finally picked up an m44 for $120 with about 50 rounds of ammo. Think they're pretty decent deals. None are collectible grade in my opinion but they all seem to be great shooters!
Sometimes people get lost with all the $500 M39's and $1000 PU's that might be more uncommon than a Soviet refurbished M91/30 or M44, but that does not make your rifles any less of an antique, or a collectable. They are still relics of a war that ended almost 70 years ago, not to mention being Cold War relics as well. Sounds like you are off to a good start and welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
equin

Post by equin »

Howdy folks! New guy here from Texas. Just got my first Mosin Nagant 91/30 and wish I would've known about these cool rifles sooner. This is actually my very first bolt-action, first center-fire and first military surplus rifle ever. And for some unknown reason, I want to get yet another Mosin Nagant!

Anyway, I've found the stickies and videos to be extremely helpful. Very impressed with the knowledge on this forum. Hope to be able to contribute after I learn more and become more familiar with these pieces of military history.

Ed
Ed
1938 Tula 91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

equin wrote:Howdy folks! New guy here from Texas. Just got my first Mosin Nagant 91/30 and wish I would've known about these cool rifles sooner. This is actually my very first bolt-action, first center-fire and first military surplus rifle ever. And for some unknown reason, I want to get yet another Mosin Nagant!

Anyway, I've found the stickies and videos to be extremely helpful. Very impressed with the knowledge on this forum. Hope to be able to contribute after I learn more and become more familiar with these pieces of military history.

Ed
Welcome to the board Ed, glad to hear that the videos are of use :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
equin

Post by equin »

Thanks for the warm welcome! Forgot to mention mine's a 1938 Tula according to the markings.
Ed
1938 Tula 91/30
Bluedeath

Post by Bluedeath »

Thanks JYD, I'll start looking.
Bluedeath

Post by Bluedeath »

Thanks JYD, I'll start looking.
Wankel

Post by Wankel »

HI EVERYONE - New member here. I live in Maryland, work as a computer analyst at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Other interests include beer homebrewing, cigars, vintage watches. Unfortunately, Maryland gun laws are getting pretty tight. When I saw a Mosin around six months ago, it was love at first sight. I want to acquire my first Mosin within a month but local prices seem high and inventory spotty. May order one from Bud's (good buying experiences in the past plus they will pick it up at my FFL if I don't like it) or from online auction. Ideal config for my first would be 91/30 hex receiver with metal escutcheons intact, nonlaminated stock. JIM
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wankel wrote:HI EVERYONE - New member here. I live in Maryland, work as a computer analyst at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Other interests include beer homebrewing, cigars, vintage watches. Unfortunately, Maryland gun laws are getting pretty tight. When I saw a Mosin around six months ago, it was love at first sight. I want to acquire my first Mosin within a month but local prices seem high and inventory spotty. May order one from Bud's (good buying experiences in the past plus they will pick it up at my FFL if I don't like it) or from online auction. Ideal config for my first would be 91/30 hex receiver with metal escutcheons intact, nonlaminated stock. JIM
Welcome to the board, vintage watches are something I was fooling around with before gold prices shot up and took watch prices along for the ride :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Wankel

Post by Wankel »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:vintage watches are something I was fooling around with before gold prices shot up and took watch prices along for the ride
That's a beauty. I don't know why but I have always been attracted to Hamilton watches and have a few ranging from the 1930's to the 1950's. Love 'em and their styling is timeless <forgive the pun>. Seems like younger people always comment on them as to their size being smaller than contemporary watches. LOL
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Welcome Wankel.

If you head up across the boarder into PA you will find a Mosin of some variant in most gun shops and with fall approaching, gun shows will soon be in full swing and it is a guarantee there will be plenty there. Just remember PA is a free state and MD forbids you from buying most of the fun stuff you see here.

Wankel, as in the rotary engine?
Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The pictured watch is a Waltham 17 jewel Crescent street movement made in 1895 in a 18k hunter case. It is an 18 size movement, the large 18 is about as big as most pocket watches would use, but 10, 14, and 16 size are common as well. Hamilton made fine watches for many years, yours are a bit newer than the ones I was collecting. I was mostly into the period from 1860-1910
Theodore Roosevelt
cobber2

Post by cobber2 »

First post. Never thought I would enjoy a bolt-action military rifle after being into ARs for years, but the Mosin has a lot of character.

Picked up two Tulas, a '29 hex and a '38 round receiver. Hope to get them into shape for shooting. Well, one at least, the '38 may just stay in the safe (matching numbers, only minor dings on the stock).

Wish I had gotten into this when they were still available for sub $100 prices. :cry: