Suspect bolt - where to start

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Slow Ride

Suspect bolt - where to start

Post by Slow Ride »

I have a 1930 91/30 that's always had "sticky bolt". I tried all the cleaning suggestions and after awhile I just got tired of this rifle and set it aside. Well, the other day I got it out and was looking at it some more and decided to swap another bolt into it to see if it made a difference. Sure enough, with other bolts in it, it dry fires and cycles fine but as soon as I put the original bolt in and dry fire it gets difficult to cycle. I'm thinking I need to start swapping out bolt pieces but was curious if anyone had experienced this before and what part was the culprit. Thanks in advance.
tjtM38

Re: Suspect bolt - where to start

Post by tjtM38 »

Using the original bolt, check the headspace using a go and no-go gauge. Our sponsor, Okie Headspace Gauges will have what you need. If the headspace is bad, you can most often fix the problem by swapping bolt heads.
finloq

Post by finloq »

I start out with the bolt in closed position, lift the handle up about 75 degrees and depress the trigger, if the handle snaps down quick and fully, I am good. If not, I start working on the action screws.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Try LIGHTLY stoning and lubing the cocking slot on the bolt body and mating cocking surface on the cocking piece. It helped one of mine immensely.
Jon
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Have you tried grease on the cocking cams?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

millman wrote:Have you tried grease on the cocking cams?
That and shoot it. Remember these rifles, I'm assuming it's a refurb, are put together from parts of many different rifles including the bolts. Some need to be used to wear the parts to eachother. As long as you don't have any damaged parts it should eventually loosen up some and become smoother.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

lots of oil
Casey

Post by Casey »

Staying with the original bolt, clean the bore and chamber. Then clean it again 2 more times. Don't be afraid to use a little cleaning compound/#9 bore cleaner with a 12 gauge brass brush and a cordless drill. Use a flashlight to see into the chamber and bore. If you have done it right, you will see the results. Dismantle the bolt, clean and check for high spots. Make sure the bolt face is free of nicks, extractor is smooth. A little steel wool will help with the action. Make sure the area where the bolt rides is clean. I have been working on my 91/30 for a couple of months getting the crud out. After all the cleaning and polishing, the bolt action is so smooth it bothered me to the point that I ordered a set of gauges to make sure I had not cleaned myself into a problem. The "go" gauge fits like a glove and the bolt closes with no problems. The "no-go" and "field" gauges do not allow the bolt to close. Will be on the range this coming Friday!