Ammo storage

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
S 854

Ammo storage

Post by S 854 »

Just received two crates of 7.62x54R... three of the spam cans are still sealed (two of 'em are still in their crate)...

So, the one can of 440... what's the preferred method of storing for the 'short term'?

Keep 'em in their 20 round paper wrappers... placed in an ammo can? Seems the paper would attract moisture... maybe not...

Unwrap everything and put the loose rounds in an ammo can? Would the large loose rounds get 'damaged' during transit? I'll prolly be carryin' them in the trunk of my sidecar for the most part... not exactly a smooth ride...

Any other ideas?
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
BubbaDX

Re: Ammo storage

Post by BubbaDX »

Put it into a 50cal ammo can with some dessicant and keep it sealed until you need to use it. You can fit 600 rounds of 7.62x54R in a 50cal ammo can if you leave them in the brown wrapper. Just stand them on their ends in the can. :thumbsup:

Edit - Forgot, I would leave the 3 unopened spam cans sealed until you need it.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, that is what I do also. Every time I find a desiccant bag in a electronic item's box or whatever I save it. Toss 1 or 2 in the 50 Cal can, or 30 Cal if you like them better, and make sure your can has a deal that is in good condition. I would leave them in the paper packs.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Spam cans are good for +/- 100 years.

Ammo cans w/ a Desiccant probably 50 years remaining unopened.

How long to do you plan to live w/o opening and/or shooting it :devil2:

If I don't shoot it my children will... :angry4: :angry4:
S 854

Post by S 854 »

Desiccant... hadn't thought about that...

I've got an old hearing aid dryer that could probably suck the Titanic dry... if given enough time... :wink:

I think I'll throw that in there...

Thanks for the feedback, guys...
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Same here, open the :spam2: and fill the old 50 cal boxes. I painted mine and got some 7.62 x 54R decals on them. Cool to have at the range and far easier to get to the goodies...... :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
S 854

Post by S 854 »

Went down to the local surplus store and found a couple cans... I was lookin' at the "50's" then noticed what appeared to be a "30" that said 7.62 on the side... prolly not our 7.62 but close enough for my purposes...

I managed to shoehorn 17 of the paper packs into the little can... so I guess I'll have to take the Mosin out and blow off 100 or so shots so I don't have ammo just layin' around...

Dirty job but someone's gotta do it... :D

Now, just out of curiosity, why is the ammo stored 'vertically' (bullet facing either up or down)? I know that's the way they are in the spam can so that's the way I put them in my little can... is it necessary? I have a bulk-pack of .22lr that's just loose in the box... 'course that's rim-fire stuff... any difference?
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

The only reason I store it vertical is because by doing so you can put 30 packs (600 rounds) in a single 50cal can, and its a very close fit. I don't think it really matters. That is also the way they are stored in the spam cans.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus