Weapon's Safety

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Dig Bick

Weapon's Safety

Post by Dig Bick »

Hey all!

I'm new to the forums and this is my first post, but I wanted to go ahead and brush a topic that I was most curious about. The safety.
I just purchased my first Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (also my first rifle) and while I was cleaning the rifle I noticed that it was pretty difficult to pull the safety back. I'm a pretty weak dude, so I thought it was just me. I had my father give it a try and even he had some trouble with it as well. I was wondering if it were necessary to have the spring that tight, or if I could replace it with a weaker spring. Also not sure if it is just a new spring and it needs to be broken in.. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Here are a couple pictures of it:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weapon's Safety

Post by millman »

Bottom line is that the MN safeties suck. You are better off not using it. Just don't chamber a round until you are ready to fire.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

What safety? :chuckles: I think I used it once; never again... :bdh:
Dig Bick

Post by Dig Bick »

Fair enough! I kinda figured that was going to be the case, thanks!
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Yeah, the safety is truly a boy dog.

Your first rifle's a Mosin? Nice choice! Go shoot it and you'll have another one in two weeks, tops. Welcome to cosmoline country.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

millman wrote:Bottom line is that the MN safeties suck. You are better off not using it. Just don't chamber a round until you are ready to fire.
I couldn't have said it better :pointup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board Bick, 25+ years of shooting numerous Mosins I have never once used what they call a safety on these rifles. I do not close the bolt until ready to fire and never load the rifle until I am in position to shoot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Well said Boss :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

hoshow wrote:Well said Boss :thumbsup:
Never new they had a Safety :chuckles:

Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

There is a way to use it that seems to work. With the butt of the rifle braced solidly between the elbow and body (kind of between the elbow and armpit), and the supporting hand in the normal spot, use the shooting hand to pull back and rotate the safety.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
paske

Post by paske »

It's not a safety, it's an anti theft. :chuckles: :chuckles:
Dig Bick

Post by Dig Bick »

Hahaha thanks everyone! So far I'm loving what everyone has to say on here. I think what I'll be doing is leaving the safety/anti-theft on during storage and when I take it to the range; just leave the bolt open. :thumbsup:
I'm going to try and take it to the range today if the weather is permitting! I've already been looking at purchasing an M44 and I haven't even fired a single round. Just cleaning it was enough for me to want a new one :lol: :lol:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

IS GUN..................GUN NOT SAFE!
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

This Safety is only for the very strong...
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Rule of Thumbs for Mosins:

No. 1 Never put a round in the chamber until you are ready to shoot.

No. 2 Never close the bolt on a loaded round until you are ready to shoot.

No. 3 Never put your finger on the trigger until you have acquired your target.

No. 4 You can never call back a round once it has left the barrel.

And last but not least, M-N's safeties pull a strong vacuum.

No other nation that entered WWI or WWII had this issue w/ their weapons,
but we still love them for what they are... :biggrin: :bwink: :bwink: :bwink:
Warf51

Post by Warf51 »

What was the Official Military protocol?
If you got them by the Balls their Hearts and Minds will follow! The Duke
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

You'll have to ask someone younger than me. :grumpy:

I was discharged in '72 so it was the M-1/M-14 while the USMC was prying the M-14's out of the hands of the grunts to replace them w/ the new black plastic & aluminum M-16's.

When I 1st went in the weapons were kept in the squad bay, but because of Detroit and the "brothers" taking them to sell on the streets, then they were relegated to the gun room.

In my fathers day you could leave your wallet on your bunk in the squad bay and it wouldn't be touched, otherwise the suspect would be judged by his peers, and justice meted out. :devil2:

All w/o having to go before the CO. :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

[I think what I'll be doing is leaving the safety/anti-theft on during storage ]

Don't leave the safety on while the rifle is being stored. It can put unnecessary strain (i.e. compression) on the spring and wear it out prematurely. Springs CAN take a set if left under tension over time. That's why loaded clips for autos are rotated regularly.
Jon
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

musketjon wrote:[I think what I'll be doing is leaving the safety/anti-theft on during storage ]

Don't leave the safety on while the rifle is being stored. It can put unnecessary strain (i.e. compression) on the spring and wear it out prematurely. Springs CAN take a set if left under tension over time. That's why loaded clips for autos are rotated regularly.
Jon
I don't really want to start the old spring under tension wears it out argument, but there are documented cases of magazines loaded full for 70 + years that were loaded into guns and worked fine.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

I never use the safety on mine, but I do use the decocker though.