Red Letter Mosin HORDE!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarksmanTim

Red Letter Mosin HORDE!

Post by MarksmanTim »

I received a call today from my friend who works at Gander Mountain in the firearms department. He said they just got in another crate of Mosins. When I got there he took me in back to look at all of them in their glory. I inspected each one. I think there were 10 1943's and at least 5 1942's. The others were a couple 1938 Tulas and Izhevsk's. One might have been 1939. The most interesting thing is that maybe 10 of them were also "RED LETTER". Not all had the /25\ but most did. There were also a few rifles that looked like the red color was attempted to be cleaned off. Close inspection revealed a little red left deep in the serial number. All bayonets were matching, and the red letter rifles had the bayo serial number red as well. Some of the red letter rifles from Izhevsk had what looked like a small Tula star next to the Izhevsk mark, both of which were near the /25\ mark.

The rifle I bought (on layaway) was the most unique. I can only afford one rifle, especially since I just bought a couple hundred dollars worth of ammo yesterday.

Mine is an MO double date, red letter. The MO and /25\ are stamped on top of each other, indicating the stampings happened during different refurbs. I had to stay in keeping with my M91/30 refurb tradition, as this rifle was originally a 1943 Izhevsk. So it is a 1943/50. The date and Soviet Crest are pretty scrubbed, but still readable in the right light. Matching red letter bayonet too. I will post pics once I bring it home.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Red Letter Mosin HORDE!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

It's not what you know, it's who you know when it comes to finding good Mosin's.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I think this makes 7 1943 Izhevsk M91/30's now. Each one is unique! But this would be one of the last ones to go if dire circumstances made me sell off rifles.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:thumbsup: i love the red letters
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

my buddy at our local gun shop got in 5 from century today they are selling them at 165$ with all the gear and tools.

2- Tula 1939 - both had yellow sights one had yellow on bbl shank also
1- Izhevsk 1938 - yellow sight and yellow butt plate
1- Izhevsk 1942 - yello sight
1- Izhevsk 1943 - good shape nothing wrong with it had stock with no esc in back others
all had wartime stocks nice stuff for the price they are selling at. One of the Izzys
the 38 had some odd markings next to the Izhevsk mark. Ill add a pic I snapped.

[thumbnail]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2876_n.jpg[/thumbnail]

[thumbnail]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9269_n.jpg[/thumbnail]

DONT YA JUST LOVE TO GET TO SNOOP THRU THE boxes before they hit the shelf :)
Awesome on your Redletter MO that is kewl
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

sweet job, so much fun to look thru a crate i only had the fun once and i chose a 43 laminate i love the laminated stocks
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

The red letters/numbers are pretty cool :vcool:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I'm a red letter junkie. This is the second crate of reds that I have heard about in the last couple of months. Look 'em over, there could be some really nice ones like the triple MO ex dragoon I was able to acquire. If you look closely, there will be a /25\ on all of them. Some look half scrubbed, some not in red, some missing a number but they will be there as well as the "2" on the bottom of the fore stock. So far it looks like about 10% are hex's - not scientific, just what I have been able to find. If you find one of those, gobble it up. I also have one like you mentioned that looked like the paint was removed but had the /25\ and the "2". Even though it is not a red, that's what I am calling it.

Where'd you say this place was? :D

I have no idea what the significance is of the yellow lettered rifles. I've got one with yellow on the serial number and on the sights gradients.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cosmoline guy wrote:It's not what you know, it's who you know when it comes to finding good Mosin's.
No, most of the time it's pure luck. I bought a Finn marked M38 , a Finn M28/30, and a Finn M24, all in excellent condition and each for $50 or less. Each time I had no clue what I was buying and neither did the seller, no internet to tell us back then.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

qz2026 wrote:I'm a red letter junkie. This is the second crate of reds that I have heard about in the last couple of months. Look 'em over, there could be some really nice ones like the triple MO ex dragoon I was able to acquire. If you look closely, there will be a /25\ on all of them. Some look half scrubbed, some not in red, some missing a number but they will be there as well as the "2" on the bottom of the fore stock. So far it looks like about 10% are hex's - not scientific, just what I have been able to find. If you find one of those, gobble it up. I also have one like you mentioned that looked like the paint was removed but had the /25\ and the "2". Even though it is not a red, that's what I am calling it.

Where'd you say this place was? :D

I have no idea what the significance is of the yellow lettered rifles. I've got one with yellow on the serial number and on the sights gradients.

I did look them over pretty close. No hex's, oldest date was '38. Also, there was only one in a prewar stock, and one wartime. Mine has a post war stock. I didn't pay attention to the stocks other than to check the sling slots.

This is bad. There is a gun show this weekend near me. It is a small show, but called "military arms and collectibles". I went once a year or so ago but didn't know what I was looking at. Now I have the power of knowledge. That is dangerous for my wallet! :shifty:
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

daveshady wrote:my buddy at our local gun shop got in 5 from century today they are selling them at 165$ with all the gear and tools.

2- Tula 1939 - both had yellow sights one had yellow on bbl shank also
1- Izhevsk 1938 - yellow sight and yellow butt plate
1- Izhevsk 1942 - yello sight
1- Izhevsk 1943 - good shape nothing wrong with it had stock with no esc in back others
all had wartime stocks nice stuff for the price they are selling at. One of the Izzys
the 38 had some odd markings next to the Izhevsk mark. Ill add a pic I snapped.

DONT YA JUST LOVE TO GET TO SNOOP THRU THE boxes before they hit the shelf :)
Awesome on your Redletter MO that is kewl
I think the "yellow" is just white lettering that has aged. I have a '48 M44 that has white lettering, it is starting to "pale" to a yellowish color.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

dou44 wrote::thumbsup: i love the red letters

Just bring your rifles over to my place and we will see if we can entice the Red Letter Fairy to do her thing in an over night stay. Note I am not modifying anything as it will all be the work of the Red Letter Fairy! :lol: Bill
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

qz2026 wrote:I'm a red letter junkie. This is the second crate of reds that I have heard about in the last couple of months. Some look half scrubbed

They ran out of red paint or crayons. Bill :lol:
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

zeebill wrote:
qz2026 wrote:I'm a red letter junkie. This is the second crate of reds that I have heard about in the last couple of months. Some look half scrubbed

They ran out of red paint or crayons. Bill :lol:

:chuckles: :chuckles:
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I also looked at several red letter wartime Izhevsk rifles and found no /25\ mark. Not a partial, not a light stamp, half stamp, upside down stamp, nothing. They did all have the 2 on the stock, and all had a Molot import mark. Nice average refurbs with red painted in rear sight and the date. They were at Cabela's.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh, and a mark I had never seen before. Just like mentioned above, a tiny star stamped clear as a bell. The star was not on a red letter I Don't believe. Not a big outlined star like on a Tula. Just a little star maybe 1/16th inch in diameter.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I have seen that as well. Two of mine have the star on the stock too... :D
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

what is the significance of the red lettering? jw