Am I missing something ??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NETNshawn

Am I missing something ??

Post by NETNshawn »

or does this person just have big dreams?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =358218900

I have watch this rifle hit $700.00 two to three times and it still has not cleared the reserve.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Am I missing something ??

Post by bunkysdad »

He knows exactly what he has, and what he wants for it. Too rich for me.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

He wants too much for the shape it is in.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is not your common 28/30 if there is such a thing as a common 28/30. This is an extra special rifle and the price is reflecting that, no date, early production, and various other things. Stuff like this will always attract the higher prices.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:This is not your common 28/30 if there is such a thing as a common 28/30. This is an extra special rifle and the price is reflecting that, no date, early production, and various other things. Stuff like this will always attract the higher prices.
$700 is not out of line... Price will be $1,000+ in 5 years. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Rongo wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:This is not your common 28/30 if there is such a thing as a common 28/30. This is an extra special rifle and the price is reflecting that, no date, early production, and various other things. Stuff like this will always attract the higher prices.

$700 won't buy that one unless all the stars align for someone.

That is the lowest known and posted about serial numbered early M28/30(in some corners), I own the one on the other end of that spectrum, the problem is that if you pay a big premium based on it being the earliest known or latest known rifle and an earlier or later one surfaces tomorrow you might be a little butt hurt. :o IIRC there's almost 20 numbers before that one possibly in existance, my rifle is about 20 serial numbers from the end of that production run.

The range for that run of rifles from my understanding of information garnered from Markku Palokangas books is 33017-35700.

It's definately a nice rifle that would be even better if it were in it's original stock or about 19 numbers earlier. :D

So maybe that's what missing in the OP's original question, just that it's "possibly" the earliest known "No Date" M28/30 left after attrition etc. etc. I personally wouldn't bank to hard on it though, partially being as a couple more real nice and very unusual pieces that have shown up this week on another forum.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The serial number puts it in the first year of production which is 1930 or so. The last year of m28/30s were 1940. It has a 1940 stock on a 1928 rifle so not the original stock for the rifle. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I like the rifle, but not $700.00+ like
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

If you have" THE ILLNESS " you will pay anything :chuckles:
As you will see when I post tomorrow , What happened today to me :oops:

Now you will be Looking for Brian The ( Told off by his Wife and Beaten ) Brit , Won't you

:oops:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rongo wrote:
That may be his reserve today :shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The rifle I have has a barrel number of 933/32 and no sleeve like the earlier ones on the barrel and I have turned down an offer of $1200 just to let you know what I value these rifles at. Bill :o
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

desdem12 wrote:The serial number puts it in the first year of production which is 1930 or so.
1932 was the first production year.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Bugelson wrote:
desdem12 wrote:The serial number puts it in the first year of production which is 1930 or so.

Yes, hence the number I quoted 933rd rifle produced in 32 the way I understand it. Am I right Bugelson? Then that would be the 143rd rifle produced in 32 so how is it the 19th rifle made? Mine is serialed 3411x by the way. Bill :?
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

zeebill wrote:
Bugelson wrote:

Yes, hence the number I quoted 933rd rifle produced in 32 the way I understand it. Am I right Bugelson? Then that would be the 143rd rifle produced in 32 so how is it the 19th rifle made? Mine is serialed 3411x by the way. Bill :?
For example 143/32 or 933/32 means 143rd and 933rd barrel produced that certain year. The barrel production number and rifle's serial number are not connected. So the rifle put together could be 19th m/28-30 ever made despite barrel number.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Thank you! The old fart is straightened out again from my early morning pre-med fog! :lol: Bill
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is some good information. Thank you.
NETNshawn

Post by NETNshawn »

Well it hit $800 and the reserve has still not been met. I have sent 2-3 requests asking what the reserve is but no reply. Not sure what they are scared of in not sharing the reserve price.
NETNshawn

Post by NETNshawn »

Now it hit $1k and reserve still has not been met.
bb91

Post by bb91 »

NETNshawn wrote:Now it hit $1k and reserve still has not been met.
Yep he's proud of that one. :D

He should give you a finders fee, the bids have gone up $300 dollars since you started this thread. :wink: