Ran into a Few Issues

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Patient957

Ran into a Few Issues

Post by Patient957 »

I recently purchased a 91/30, 1933 Izhevsk with a hex reciever MO dated /52. It's a good looking rifle, has a dark red finish in a war-time stock. It's been counterbored but that's ok by me. I broke everything down and gave it a thorough cleaning. Then I reassembled and ran into some problems.

Once everything was back together I put the bolt in and it got stuck, it went in about an inch or two and that is as far as it would go. Right away I noticed the trigger was not working. I could not pull the bolt back out. It was as if it was caught on the trigger assembly. I tried everything, even brute strength and nothing worked. So I got a rubber mallet and was successfully able to knock the bolt back out.

I took her apart again and examined the trigger assembly. Something was wrong here but I couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed the problem. The little dowel (rod) that fits into the trigger was laying on my work table. Apparantly it had slipped out during cleaning and I hadn't noticed. I was able to put it back where it belonged and finally got everything assembled and working correctly. This was a bit of a frustrating and very hot hour spent in the garage but I was happy to be able to figure out the issue. I can chalk it up to a learning experience. Watch out for the trigger rod falling out !!

Now I have an issue with the trigger pull. It's about twice as hard of a pull compared to any of my other Mosins. Any advice here? I know this community frowns upon modifications, but is there anything I can so to safely lessen the trigger pull? or should I just leave it be? I have tested headspace and it checks out ok. I am taking it outdoors this weekend to do some range time but I was hoping to get some advice from the experts.
Chrome Moly Vampire

Re: Ran into a Few Issues

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I assed up a beautiful '30 Tula hex by putting the wrong barrel band on first. And upside down. A very crappy first lesson to learn.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Check the sear. You may have damaged it beating the bolt out. If this happens again, pull straight down on the trigger, this will pull the sear/bolt stop down far enough to release the bolt.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

Chrome Moly Vampire wrote:Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I assed up a beautiful '30 Tula hex by putting the wrong barrel band on first. And upside down. A very crappy first lesson to learn.
It worked out ok but man was there a moment of panic when I was completely unable to get the bolt out. I thought I had permanantly ruined the rifle..until I remembered the mallet..
millman wrote:Check the sear. You may have damaged it beating the bolt out. If this happens again, pull straight down on the trigger, this will pull the sear/bolt stop down far enough to release the bolt.

The sear/bolt stop works fine now. The problem I ran into was that without the rod in there the trigger was unfunctional. It just hung loose and there was no way to get the bolt stop to depress to let the bolt back out. With the bolt stuck there was no way I could disassemble the action in order to remove the trigger assembly. Mallet seemed to be my only option and I was more inclined to have to replace the trigger than have a completey useless rifle. Wouldn't have even been a nice wall hanger what with the bolt sticking out. :vsad: I can pull the trigger back and remove / reinsert the bolt without issue now. It just seems that the trigger pull is particuarly hard when firing. Perhaps I have just been lucky in that my other Mosins have very light trigger pulls.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

millman wrote:Check the sear. You may have damaged it beating the bolt out. If this happens again, pull straight down on the trigger, this will pull the sear/bolt stop down far enough to release the bolt.

+ 1 what he said. I would bet 90% of us on this board and others have been through that problem so don't feel alone. I would say your best bet is a new sear and maybe even trigger too. First trade the ones from a different rifle into that rifle and see what happens. If it solves the problem try the ones giving you the trouble in another rifle. If the problem is now in the donor rifle you know what you need to replace with different parts. At least you found the trigger pin! I have lost so many of them it is truely embarrassing! :oops: As they say upward and onward we go! Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

zeebill wrote:

+ 1 what he said. I would bet 90% of us on this board and others have been through that problem so don't feel alone. I would say your best bet is a new sear and maybe even trigger too. First trade the ones from a different rifle into that rifle and see what happens. If it solves the problem try the ones giving you the trouble in another rifle. If the problem is now in the donor rifle you know what you need to replace with different parts. At least you found the trigger pin! I have lost so many of them it is truely embarrassing! :oops: As they say upward and onward we go! Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Thanks, I will give that a shot when I get the time. I assume a new sear would create a slighter trigger pull? Do some just not bend as easily as others?
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

i had that same pin fall out once on me but i didnt have bolt in and noticed it right away and all was fine after reassembly
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

I spent some time last night comparing the sear / trigger action with my other Mosins and have decided that I am gonna replace the sear prior to shooting this one. It functions, but something seems off in comparision and I want to be safe.