What exactly do I have here?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Dickie

What exactly do I have here?

Post by Dickie »

I have these two old rifles that were given to me 20 years ago. I know one of them is a m44 Carbine. No so sure about the other one. I'm looking for a little info on both of them...exactly what do I have here?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjo1971

Re: What exactly do I have here?

Post by cjo1971 »

1946 Izhevsk M44 on the second one. Don't know on the first one yet, take some pics and post the top of the receiver on the first.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

The Mauser is a Czech VZ-24 made for Romania, as far as I can see. A picture of the top of the reciever would be great.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You sure got a good deal on them. So have they just been sitting around for 20 years?
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

The top of the receiver looks very worn but it has what looks like the Ruger Phoenix trademark but its very hard to make out. The center of the symbol is totally worn away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

nice rifles
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

bunkysdad wrote:You sure got a good deal on them. So have they just been sitting around for 20 years?

I buddy of mine bought them at a gun show in Texas a long time ago and gave me them as a thank you gift for helping him out. We shot the M44 back then, never the other one. They have been sitting in the safe for about 20 years.

They're cool and all, but not really my cup of tea. I'm more of a S&W revolver and 1911 guy. I have no plans of getting rid of them. I might take them to the range next week but I'm a little concerned if they're safe to shoot.
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Thanks a lot gents.

Also, how do I remove the bolt from the M44?
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Can't speak for the Yugo but if you fired your M44 20 years ago with no problems then it should be fine now. If you're concerned, they're a piece of cake to disassemble and check. To remove the bolt, just depress the trigger and slide the bolt out.
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Can't speak for the Yugo but if you fired your M44 20 years ago with no problems then it should be fine now. If you're concerned, they're a piece of cake to disassemble and check. To remove the bolt, just depress the trigger and slide the bolt out.
Geez, that was easy.

Thanks a lot
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice VZ24 and M44 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Great video. Thanks.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice pair to have. Lots of history in the VZ. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

If I remember correctly the crest on the VZ-24 is not worn off it was buffed off by Romania after they abolished the Monarchy and became a commie republic.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Emdawg wrote:If I remember correctly the crest on the VZ-24 is not worn off it was buffed off by Romania after they abolished the Monarchy and became a commie republic.
This is correct. There were 2 different crests. One for king Carol, and one for King Michael. I am not sure which yours was.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Man, I need your friends. 20 years ago when I helped a friend out all they would give me is a 6 pack and a pizza.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

The M44 was imported from Albania about 12-13 years ago. Note that it has the Century Arms Georgia Vt. address on the import mark, not the earlier St. Albans Vt. marking. It's pretty cool that it still has its original stamped matching bolt and floorplate. Does the buttplate match also?

I don't see any post-war Soviet refurb markings on the barrel. Can you post photos showing the back part of the barrel and the front of the receiver to see if there are any refurb markings there? Also of any markings on the right side of the buttstock. It is possible that this is an all original matching, never refurbished, carbine. This would add to its value.

The VZ-24 is also kind of neat. Besides the ground Romanian royal crest, it still has its original number matching stock.
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Thanks again guys, this info is really interesting.

Marcus, I took a few more pics of every marking I could find. It seems the butt plate numbers match as well. At first I thought I've had these '95 but after you said they were imported 12-13 years ago, that got me thinking. I called my friend in Texas who gave these to me. Turns out it was around 2001, about the time I moved to FL. My memory ain't what it used to be.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the info.