3-4 MOA par for the course on 91/30?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lowflier

3-4 MOA par for the course on 91/30?

Post by lowflier »

I took a '42 Izhevsk to the range today, and shots 1-3 grouped within 2 MOA (shooting benchrest, no sandbags). I slowly shot another 7 shots, but the point-of-impact climbed 5 MOA upwards! For the 10-shot group, there was quite a vertical climb (5 MOA), but the whole 10-shot group was within 3 MOA horizontally. For reference, I'm not that great of a shot.

What surprised me was how the shots seemed to march up the paper as the barrel warmed. Is a 5 MOA climb as the barrel heats "normal" for a stock 91/30?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 3-4 MOA par for the course on 91/30?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, situation normal for the average Soviet refurbished M91/30 :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I have noticed that on most of mine also. But not all.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Looks good to me. I need to take the time to sight in my rifles so I can get these results. Its tough at 100yrds with the iron sights. I've been happy to hit the target at all haha. My t53 was the first mosin I have that hit paper the first couple shots. But then I got distracted by the muzzle blast :lol:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Some do string up on me but some also don't stretch that much. It depends on the rifle. The finns I have shot seem to hold the up and down better when they heat up :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Finn used Mosins are tuned up, the Soviet Mosins are only done to be good enough for minute of man shooting, anything better is purely by chance. They didn't have to be better for the intended use by militia. Some people have experimented with adding Finn style shims with good results.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Might check the torque on your action screws. I have some that tend to get loose when I shoot them. Don't overtorque the screws, but make sure they are snug. The only other thing I can think of is that you might have a slightly warped stock putting pressure on the barrel when it heats up. These are not target guns. If you are getting 3 to 4 MOA at 100 yards, you are doing great. The combat sights on these weapons won't allow you to shoot much better than that.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Lowflier,

Thanks for the range report & pix, and the other compatriots comments.

It helps all of us inexperienced M-N's collectors what to expect when firing a new weapon. "thumbsup01: "thumbsup01: "thumbsup01:
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have one Mosin that starts to wander around shot 15, I think. Try the sandbags, get it really solid and then try it, keeping track of the number of shots. Some times it is easier to shoot at a 6" black square. You can sit it on the front sight almost perfectly. I have found some rifles shoot better when I shoot better.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
lowflier

Post by lowflier »

Thanks for the perspective. I was shooting 50 yard , but 4 MoA is 4 MoA, no matter the distance. In this case, point of impact clmbed 2.5 inches over 10 shots.
lowflier

Post by lowflier »

BTW, I was testing a gallery load, probably about 1600 fps. I'll test at 29xx fps for 100+ yards, once I find some real powder for sale. Normally, I'd expect groups to tighten-up a bit, but I don't shoot better than 4 MoA, so not expecting any improvement.

I took the handguard off and did the dollar test... just about ripped poor Andy Jackson in half. I followed the Interwebs' advice, and sanded the high points in the barrel channel. I'll give it a try and report back Ina long while (going camping).
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's not always the fault of the rifle, sometimes it's the ammo, Mosins are notoriously picky about ammo, swap to another country's cartridge, or another lot and POI can change. Also keep in mind that many of us are older now, and can't see for shit anymore.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's not always the fault of the rifle, sometimes it's the ammo, Mosins are notoriously picky about ammo, swap to another country's cartridge, or another lot and POI can change. Also keep in mind that many of us are older now, and can't see for shit anymore.
I hear that... I miss my younger days of 20/16 vision. :angry4:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I didn't mention the getting too weak to hold the rifle steady without using a rest, or the inability to control breathing without triggering a heart attack thing. I haven't quite got to that point yet, but some other guys....
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Hmmm! I represent that remark! Really I almost never shoot at less than 100 yards unless my legs are really bothering me that day and then I try the 50 yard range. Less than 100 yards is playing not really shooting and I do that occaisionaly and play with things. Serious shooting is 100+ yards when only certain people can do stuff with these rifles and open sights generally. I have a buddy who is an ex-army ranger and is famous for his head shots on deer. His retort when you say something is I want to eat them not stuff them! That was his training and that is his preference today yet. Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I take it he doesn't like to eat deer brains? :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I'd be good with that.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No sweetbread pie for you ? :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Thanks but no thanks ha ha!
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I didn't mention the getting too weak to hold the rifle steady without using a rest, or the inability to control breathing without triggering a heart attack thing. I haven't quite got to that point yet, but some other guys....
The "Lead Sled" to the rescue... :pointup:

That's why they built it :attn:

Some of us, in our more mature years are not what we were in the 1960's :devil2:

Therefore a leveled stable rest is best to obtain optional results, aka, stuff happens after 60 YOA.

JYD can testify to that, but I wouldn't know anything about that :beek: :beek: :beek:

He's been buying up Russian stuff when it first came into the country before the '60's.

While the rest of us were reading Shotgun News and wondering should I buy a Russian Gun for $50.00? :grumpy: :rolling: :rolling: