Mosin Nagant Snipers?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
homesteadfree

Mosin Nagant Snipers?

Post by homesteadfree »

Hi all.
After reading the articles on the Mosin Nagant Sniper rifles, I've been looking at auctions to see what's for sale.
I'm attaching pictures of two "sniper rifles" that I found. The first one looks like a PU type. The second....???
If I read correctly, it is next to impossible to tell whether a Mosin is an original sniper from pictures like these.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions :geek:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosin Nagant Snipers?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I can't tell anything from the photos but I can tell you that there are many fake Mosin snipers out there, don't get taken.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

No where near enough photos to tell one way or another.

I will say this......The second one down has too much barrel showing in front of the hand guard and fore stock and is not a PU sniper rifle.

Dolk
bb91

Post by bb91 »

I'm no expert, but the second one looks to be a bubba'd up Polish Wz-48, if that's correct and both are from the same seller I would be very cautious.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ya the second one doesn't even have a PU scope on it and the receiver is not a mosin receiver or bolt. Probly like bb says a 22lr made into a fake.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

The second one definitely looks like a Polish trainer. I don't remember any of those being equipped with PU scopes. The TOZ .22lr rifles on the other hand... :bwink:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

There is nothing about the first one that automatically jumps out and shouts "fake", but no real determination can be made from the photos.

My first thought about the second one was that it looks like some of the various hunting and target Mosins that were available in the Soviet Union in the post-WW2 era, until closer examination of the receiver and magazine revealed that this wasn't just a modified Mosin.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The second one is a .22.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The 2nd one is a WZ48 trainer with a Chinese Firefly scope. I have seen a couple of these made up by collectors, usually for there kids to take to the range with dad when he takes his PU. Kind of a like father, like son ( or daughter) :wink:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hard to tell from the photos, but the scope actually looks like one of the Russian LOMO "PO" scopes - also called the "Russian Hunter" that were sold in the 1990's. I've owned several of these, and still have one that is the original scope for my 1993 7.62X39 Saiga rifle. The mount looks like one of the post-war Soviet era commercial/military replacement setups that were imported around the same time, many of which were sold with the PO scopes by Century Arms. Back then, the scope mount and base - complete with all mounting hardware - and the scope all sold for the princely sum of $40. $125 to $150.
homesteadfree

Post by homesteadfree »

Thank you guys, I had my doubts about the second one. Like several of the comments, I thought that too much of the barrel is showing. I've asked the seller for some more photos of the first one. Let's see what shows up. :geek:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Marcus wrote:Hard to tell from the photos, but the scope actually looks like one of the Russian LOMO "PO" scopes - also called the "Russian Hunter" that were sold in the 1990's. I've owned several of these, and still have one that is the original scope for my 1993 7.62X39 Saiga rifle. The mount looks like one of the post-war Soviet era commercial/military replacement setups that were imported around the same time, many of which were sold with the PO scopes by Century Arms. Back then, the scope mount and base - complete with all mounting hardware - and the scope all sold for the princely sum of $40. $125 to $150.
I'd give $125 for that all day long. I think it is cute.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I don't know what happened to what I wrote above, part of it got lost and now it's too late to edit it. What I originally said was that today, the post-war Soviet commercial/military replacement scope mount and base setup is worth $125 to $150 by itself. It would be interesting to see what base is on it.

The PO scopes have also gone up quite a bit in value. Today the scope and mount setup would probably be worth in the $200 range.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

First one even if it is a fake is about $400 to $450 in parts on today's market so if a fake is OK with you bid accordingly. The second one is kind of cute and I would accept any of the explanations, max value to me is about $140 or so. I would never consider buying any sniper version online. With all the money you can put out for one I would have to have a hands on inspection, but then I even have my doubts about the "Real" Molot made ones. That is just personal taking into fact I have two which I am sure of the validity. Bill :o