1934 Tula Ex-Dragoon -- Reunited !!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
yatzee982

1934 Tula Ex-Dragoon -- Reunited !!

Post by yatzee982 »

Please bear with me as this is my first "New Thread" post here. Let me start by saying I made a mistake a few mos. ago and sold the first Tula Hex I had found in the wild. It has bothered me ever since I sealed the deal and I couldn't get the rifle out of my head. So I contacted the gentleman that purchased the rifle from me and offered his money back +$20. He kindly accepted having sold a few rifles in his past and ended up regretting it himself. So long story short I am now reunited with my first Tula Hex ! It's a 1934 Tula ex-Dragoon I think since it has the gap at the rear sight base ? Enough talking I will let the pic's tell the rest ..

post war re-furbed stock
barrel/receiver/rear sights
tang date
all matching numbers
very nice bore and bullet test
what kind of stamp is this, it looks like 2 crossed hammers ?

Thanks for looking
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1934 Tula Ex-Dragoon -- Reunited !!

Post by bunkysdad »

That was really nice of him to sell it back to you. Thanks for posting it here, and it looks great. That is the latedt ex dragoon I have seen and didn't even know they existed, but if it is then it's probably one of the last ones, as the 91/30 program was in full swing by 1934 and they would have about used up any older barrels I would think, but nothing seems to be a sure thing on Mosins.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

bunkysdad wrote:That was really nice of him to sell it back to you. Thanks for posting it here, and it looks great. That is the latedt ex dragoon I have seen and didn't even know they existed, but if it is then it's probably one of the last ones, as the 91/30 program was in full swing by 1934 and they would have about used up any older barrels I would think, but nothing seems to be a sure thing on Mosins.
:pointup: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Very lucky getting that one back!

The late style 91/30 rear base - without the little set screw at the back - is additional evidence that this rifle originally had a M91 dragoon rear sight, and was upgraded to 91/30 configuration during the massive Soviet "clean and repair" type refurbish and upgrade programs of the post-war era where almost all early 91/30's, dragoon rifles, and remaining Cossack rifles in Soviet inventory were updated to standard late 91/30 configuration.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
yatzee982

Post by yatzee982 »

Yes I feel very lucky and thank you all for the kind words. I made a mistake in selling it before and I was able to get it back. I am sure we have all been there and done that at one time or another. I will not let this get away from me again ... my first Hex from the bush :vcool:
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice! Congrats on being able to bring her back home! :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jdolinski

Post by jdolinski »

:pointup: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is another rifle we were discussing today. First the T-53's and the "trials" marks and lo-and-behold one showed up this evening. Then we had a long discussion about how late the Dragoons were made and I think no one had seen one in 34, except someone (probably Des...) produced one. Anyway, this is the latest ex Dragoon I have seen. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

Good guy for selling it back to you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have to dig out my '34's and see if any of them are ex's, not the Finn as that would still be a dragoon if it was, but maybe one of the refurbs.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

A good looking rifle. Good that you got it back.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have to dig out my '34's and see if any of them are ex's, not the Finn as that would still be a dragoon if it was, but maybe one of the refurbs.
No, there are actually some Finn rifles that are dragoons updated with 91/30 sights. It isn't known if these were done by the Soviets in the late 1930's or if the Finns did this using rear sights salvaged off damaged Soviet 91/30 rifles they either captured or got from the Germans.
Last edited by Marcus on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Quite possible that the Finns did it. I do know that they put globe sights on their Tikka barreled 91/30's at times.