Left handed AR15

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Left handed AR15

Post by millman »

Yes.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

millman wrote:Yes.

LMAO!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

WeldonHunter wrote:
millman wrote:Yes.

LMAO!!
I am pleased to see that folks find me funny. I thought that I was just funny looking.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:lol: I had never even heard of then until you mentioned it a little while back.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BrokeDad wrote:
dolk wrote:Am I the only one that owns a left handed AR15?
Do you also drive on the left side of the road ? :D :chuckles:
Does that require left handed ammo ?
The ammo looks normal, but it requires left handed primers.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Isn't it just a matter of changing the upper to make it left handed?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Isn't it just a matter of changing the upper to make it left handed?
It ought to be easy to manufacture. I'm not sure it's easy to change. I doubt you could change an existing one feasibly.

But starting from scratch just flip some things in the drawings and there you go.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Isn't it just a matter of changing the upper to make it left handed?
That is correct. The upper receiver is all that is different. You can't just flip the parts over, the entire upper has to be machined on the opposite side. There are a few other items you need (don't have to have, but makes it better) like a "Ambi" sel3ector, and a few other items, but they are not required.

I shoot left handed because I have a very bad right eye and I can't see to the end of the barrel with it. And I can't get my head over far enough on most firearms to look with my left eye. It is another reason I bought the Savage 350 short shotgun. It is a bottom eject and can be fired either way.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

When I bought my AR I highly considered going with a Stag lefty model, in the end I decided to just stick with a right handed AR.

I thought about going lefty because of minor annoyances shooting the M-16 and I figured if I'm paying $1000 for a gun which I plan to own for the rest of my life, why not have it made to fit me. With the M-16 I'd have to rotate the rifle to see the selector switch. This can be overcome with practice and muscle memory, also the AR15 doesn't have a multi position selector switch, it's really more of a off/on switch. On occasion with the M-16 a hot shell casing would hit my arm or go up my sleeve. A lefty charging handle would probably be slightly nicer too.

I decided to go with a regular model because I decided I wanted a BCM. Also the rest of my family is right handed so I figured they could learn on a regular model and the issues weren't too big of a deal to me. If I really wanted to I figured I could do a left handed Stag build later on if this stuff settles down but I probably won't bother.
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

I've set my rifle up to be ambidextrrous due to being left eye dominant, so i practice shooting both ways. Fortunately, my mosins can be shot lefty rather easily.

In my AR, I have an ambi selector, magpul BAD lever for the bolt release and a Rainier arms raptor Ambi charging handle.

So when I go shoot, I practice both sides.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
kc9ljo

Post by kc9ljo »

If I'm not mistaken you have to change the upper receiver, AND the bolt. Sorry if someone already said this, but I didn't see it.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Whichever shoulder you shoot off of, it is a good idea to learn to shoot off of both shoulders. Half the corners in the world go to the left. Also, those deer like to appear from the right side, making it a left-handed shot or none at all, sometimes.
IIRC, the Stag Arms lefties are lefty all the way; upper, lower, controls.

Some benchresters/varminters, and even some snipers prefer to shoot a left-handed bolt action off the right shoulder to facilitate using the offhand (left) to operate the action, not disturbing the firing grip.

So, offhandedly, I'd say you're left of center on this one, dolk! :chuckles:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

As a left handed long gun shooter, I chose not to buy a lefty Stag AR. I didn't want to limit my options for all the AR's I own and I was issued a M16 and learnt to shoot a non lefty. Going back and forth with a lefty and a regular AR could be confusing.

The only thing I like to change in the selector switch. I like the BADASS ambi selector, I flip it to fire with my thumb, and back to safe with the side of my trigger finger.

Kollaa kestää
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Im a lefty but after having to shooting left handed with a right handed m4 for so long I dont see the point of changing my ar over. Im used to it