Serial number question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
kc9ljo

Serial number question

Post by kc9ljo »

Hi all,
New guy here with a quick serial number question. I just bought an M91/30, and the butt plate has two serial numbers. One has a line stamped through it, as if it is crossed out. And the second number is sloppily hand stamped. The sloppy number is the one that matches all the rest of the numbers on the gun. Does this mean the butt plate has been replaced? And what would be the reason for re-numbering it? Thanks.
racerguy00

Re: Serial number question

Post by racerguy00 »

If your rifle is a refurbished rifle, the vast majority of the time the bolt, magazine, and butt plate numbers were forced matched to the barrel. During refurb, rifles were dismantled, all of the parts were separated and checked. The parts from various rifles were all mixed together. When the rifles were reassembled, random parts were used to build a functional rifle. This is how a refurb can have parts from any arsenal on it.

The numbered parts would either have the old number ground off, or crossed out etc. A new number was restamped or electro-penciled on. If the stamped numbers on the various parts arent an exact match in font etc. to the barrel, it is a forced match. This is totally normal and acceptable on a refurb.

If your rifle is not a refurb, either the buttplate or stock with buttplate attached was swapped and a new number added. Photos would tell the tale for your rifle.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
kc9ljo

Post by kc9ljo »

Thanks for the info. I'll get pics when I get a chance. I believe just the buttplate was replaced, the other parts all have the same font, and markings. Like I said I'll get pics so those who know can tell me for sure.
Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All the rifles parts were replaced, that's just how it was done during the refurb. Rifle comes in and gets stripped of every last part, the parts get refurbished in huge batches and at the end of the line the rifles get put back together again with whatever parts come to the assemblers hands first without regard to what arsenal mark is on them, by now of course all the old serial numbers except the barrel one have been removed, or lined out. the small parts are then renumbered to match the barrel number, this is called force matching. Line out numbers are fairly common on buttplates and magazine's
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Agreed. I've even seen multiple lineouts on bolts.. :?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:All the rifles parts were replaced, that's just how it was done during the refurb. Rifle comes in and gets stripped of every last part, the parts get refurbished in huge batches and at the end of the line the rifles get put back together again with whatever parts come to the assemblers hands first without regard to what arsenal mark is on them, by now of course all the old serial numbers except the barrel one have been removed, or lined out. the small parts are then renumbered to match the barrel number, this is called force matching. Line out numbers are fairly common on buttplates and magazine's
Usually but not always. I have seen "refurbed" rifles that must have been individually done, one at a time, because they were all original except for a dip in the hot blue tank and a new coat of shellac, and ones that were all original except for 1 part such as the bolt, floorplate, or buttplate being replaced before said dip in hot blue tank and coat of shellac. Not real common, but did happen.