Spam can pricing

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Cwcoolcow

Spam can pricing

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Dropped by one of my LGSs to get an accessory for my safe ( of course Dick's no longer carries it). The had stacks of 12 gauge boxes all over the store. I started looking for target ammo for clays and noticed a stack of eight 7.62 x 54R spam cans in the corner. I didn't have any idea they even carried this stuff. It was $199.99 a can (yep 440 count). I had to ask if that was a mistake and it they really meant $109.99? Nope, $199.99. It didn't seem to be anything special or rare, advertised as Russian. That's the highest proce I've ever seen. This shop is typically priced middle of the road. Has anybody else experienced prices this high? :-0
Dan4good

Re: Spam can pricing

Post by Dan4good »

ive never seen it that high
bndrillo

Post by bndrillo »

via gunbot.net you can get it for .20/rd 89.95 a can, 21.00 for shipping. 110 total
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I just got a case or Russian stuff from Aim for $89 a can but I've seen locals trying to peddle it for $150.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Bill-ay

Post by Bill-ay »

Sportsman's Guide has good pricing on x54r right now: $184.99 for 880 also use coupon code SGSAVE813 at checkout to save $15 on the entire order. Shipping for me was $17 bucks so basically it's like free shipping. Hard to beat these days, since most people will charge upwards of 30 bucks to ship a crate of x54r.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Chris, you're not going to start shooting surplus ammo, are you? :D
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

About two months ago I walked in to a local shop and he had cans of Bulgarian silvertip there. I asked how much for the paper packs of 20 as they had one can opened up. He said $12 for 20 rounds :roll: . I bit my lip and then asked how much for a can. With the "bulk" discount he was asking $179. :o I chuckled to myself and moved on. A week later I had a crate of Russian silvertip delivered to my door from Sportsman's Warehouse for $185. I always try to support the local shops but not in that situation.
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

I've only seen two LGS with spam cans. One wanted $160 for a Type 53 or a 440 round can of ammo. Take your pick. The other had it at $125.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
mahduk45044

Post by mahduk45044 »

I think it's a shame the way ammo prices have been. I expect some increase; simple supply and demand. But let's face it. Some of these places are gouging. A box of 500 count .22LR I was paying $20 for at Wal Mart is priced at $50 at the LGS when you can find that ammo.

But on a side note, I have one thing in my favor. Turns out I live in the very town AIM operates out of. I can bypass shipping costs. Yay me!
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
mahduk45044

Post by mahduk45044 »

Titanium Hammer wrote:About two months ago I walked in to a local shop and he had cans of Bulgarian silvertip there. I asked how much for the paper packs of 20 as they had one can opened up. He said $12 for 20 rounds :roll: . I bit my lip and then asked how much for a can. With the "bulk" discount he was asking $179. :o I chuckled to myself and moved on. A week later I had a crate of Russian silvertip delivered to my door from Sportsman's Warehouse for $185. I always try to support the local shops but not in that situation.
A LGS near me has the 20 packs for $9.25. Before Xmas they were $6.00 for the same thing.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
MrRPM

Post by MrRPM »

so is the surplus going to dry up for good and go up in price like .303 did? or will more surplus come in since its still an active military cartridge in Russia and hopfully supply can fill demand
Ivan6

Post by Ivan6 »

Never saw Spam cans locally and live between two large southern cities. Local Dunhams has 7.62x54 in paper wrapped containers , broken from cans, for 7.99 for 20 rds. They also have the same in new production for 30.00 for 20 rds. As far as 22 hard to find and everyone knows when local big box stores get shipments. Stand in line and hope. A LARGE LGS has 22 but would you believe 40.00 for a plactic box of 100 CCI. Their salesmens comment was " If people are stupid enough to buy it we will sell it". No one has any use for them and I can't believe the damage that they are doing to their own business without realizing it. I guess this " shortage " still ain't over.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

Bill-ay wrote:Sportsman's Guide has good pricing on x54r right now: $184.99 for 880 also use coupon code SGSAVE813 at checkout to save $15 on the entire order. Shipping for me was $17 bucks so basically it's like free shipping. Hard to beat these days, since most people will charge upwards of 30 bucks to ship a crate of x54r.
Bought that 5 days ago (Saturday) at the "members" price of $166.24, which was $168 shipped due to that $15 coupon you're talking about.

So the next day (Sunday), I think to myself, "Gee, that was a good deal at today's prices, I'll buy another" and notice it's "Sold Out". But yet the very next day (Monday) it's BACK in stock, only this time with the price of $175, or $185 non-member as you noted. lol

So what really happened? Those 880s of 7.62x54r are an item they havent had in a while, and they were probably BLOWING through them at $164/$175, and my guess is someone decided to put a halt to it until they could raise the price.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

MrRPM wrote:so is the surplus going to dry up for good and go up in price like .303 did? or will more surplus come in since its still an active military cartridge in Russia and hopfully supply can fill demand
Yes, it's surplus and the stuff we get has been out of production 35-80 years, the new stuff is for the use of the Russian military, made for long term storage, and if it ever comes along as surplus it will be long after most of us are dust or too old to shoot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
James811

Post by James811 »

Looks like I got a pretty good deal on my ammo a few months ago. I got an 800 round unopened crate and 200 loose rounds (mix of Hungarian, Bulgarian, and Tracers) for $200. All from a private seller.
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy if possible."
- Stonewall Jackson
Ram48

Post by Ram48 »

the local gun and pawn had russian spam cans foe $180 and crate for $250 20 packs sold at $8.50. But then he wanted $189 for run of the mill 91/30 also still had all of it when I stopped by two weeks later. Thanks to a heads up from a member on here I got a spam can from sportsman for $96 shipped will be here Wed next week
God, Guns and Guts made America free, Lets Keep all Three.
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

I just got in on that Sportmans guide deal, ended up being 174.99 for Russian in a wooden crate of 880. Good deal !
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Yes, it's surplus and the stuff we get has been out of production 35-80 years, the new stuff is for the use of the Russian military, made for long term storage, and if it ever comes along as surplus it will be long after most of us are dust or too old to shoot.

Are you speculating here or is this a fact? I dont really understand. Since the Russians are still producing this round in 1993, 2003, 2013, etc... why wouldnt a certain quantity of the unused of that eventually become "surplus" as well?