fired ammo--bolt stuck

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
S 854

fired ammo--bolt stuck

Post by S 854 »

Just got my de-gooed Mosin back together... I had a couple previously fired surplus casings hangin' around the house... so I put one in the chamber as a 'test'... pulled the trigger and all was fine...

...went to pull back the bolt and it was stuck with the bolt arm aiming roughly at the two o'clock position...

I managed to get the casing out and the bolt works fine... so... the question is...

Am I going to have problems after I test fire this rifle for real (using surplus ammo) or do the surplus ammo casings swell upon firing for the first time thereby wedging itself in the head of the bolt when pulling the trigger on the casing the second time?
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
desdem12

Re: fired ammo--bolt stuck

Post by desdem12 »

Check the chamber for dried goo. IT can hide and be hard to get out. If you clean the chamber good it should shoot fine. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

No way of telling until you fire it. Clean the chamber real good with a shotgun brush chucked up in a cordless drill, might make a difference. Take a deadblow hammer with you just in case. One of my Century T53's got "sticky" as we went till the 4th shot the bolt stuck like you said, didn't have my hammer with me so it had to wait until we got home. Cleaned it again but haven't tried it again so don't know for sure.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fired cases conform to the chamber of the rifle that they were fired from, and one is not the same as every other. Fire the rifle if it passes headspace, and see what it does with it's own fired cases. Clean the chamber anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
S 854

Post by S 854 »

I guess I wasn't completely correct when I said the bolt stuck...

The bolt would move, but only between the firing position and that two o'clock position... it wasn't 'sticky'... it would move freely between those two positions... and come to an abrupt halt at two o'clock... as though something was out of wack with the bolt...

I'll clean the chamber as described... and what is this head space you speak of? how is it checked?
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Click on the OKIE HEADSPACE banner at the top of the page. He explains it very well there.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I found early on that these rifles don't rechamber fired steel cases readily. I would not be too concerned about it. If it will chamber a live round and the headspace is good, it will be safe to shoot. These rifles are real tough.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

why a cordless drill i use my plug in drill
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Because most people that are in this century have cordless drills and they much easier to use than fighting with a cord while you're trying to do this :brolleyes:
S 854

Post by S 854 »

Ok... read about the gauges... makes sense... now... do I get all three... The field, go and the no-go to make sure things are safe?

I looked at a YouTube video about "7.62x54R headspace gauge", the poster said "No-go stops the bolt, the gun is safe to fire..." he didn't say anything about using the "go" or "field gauge" on his rifle beforehand...

'course, ya can find anything on the internet... doesn't mean it's correct... :roll:
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

tjtM38 wrote:I found early on that these rifles don't rechamber fired steel cases readily. I would not be too concerned about it. If it will chamber a live round and the headspace is good, it will be safe to shoot. These rifles are real tough.
This :pointup: and what JYD said. I've tried rechambering fired steel cased ammo, even in the rifle it was fired from and most times it either won't chamber or is very hard too. I've only attemped it a few times trying to help someone figure out a problem. Otherwise I would have never known because I wouldn't normally rechamber a fired round.
S 854

Post by S 854 »

Thanks guys... just ordered an Okie no-go gauge... :D

Should I be shopping for a left-hand, orange polka-dot glove while waiting for the shipment to arrive? :brolleyes:
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
1932 Mosin 91/30